News   Apr 23, 2024
 278     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

When has carbon footprint ever stopped development. We don't have any policy restricting the growth of aviation in this country, last I checked. And if the CIB does want to loan money to build an airport, who's going to stop them? After all, they are supposed to be an arms length agency and independent. Directing them to halt a project would destroy their credibility completely.

The only issue here is whether the government releases the land to build an airport. And to date, no government, Liberal or Conservative, has changed the designation of the land or allowed any development that would exclude future development of an airport in Pickering.

We elected a federal government where most of them has a carbon footprint reducing plan. I would say that until a new federal election, nothing will come of this. Which means it stays as prime farmland.

We elected a federal government where most of them has a carbon footprint reducing plan. I would say that until a new federal election, nothing will come of this. Which means it stays as prime farmland.

I would say this true only for the current parliament. Minority government tends to have some restrictions.

I would say this true only for the current parliament. Minority government tends to have some restrictions.

That is why I said "until the next federal election". Having said that, we could see that next election, the harder push to reduce our carbon footprint. This will be another nail in the coffin for Pickering's airport.

I'm still on the fence about a massive Pickering airport. On one hand Pearson does seem pretty full, and not talking runway/terminal stuff. Rather just the roads getting to it. Something I'm curious about is Durham...is there to be some future (+20-50yrs) major population boom along the 407 and to Port Perry. Like Big Pipe, get water and sewage, then re-create the Peel, Halton, York sameness. Or are things sort of limited to just the planned North Pickering development?

I'm still on the fence about a massive Pickering airport. On one hand Pearson does seem pretty full, and not talking runway/terminal stuff. Rather just the roads getting to it. Something I'm curious about is Durham...is there to be some future (+20-50yrs) major population boom along the 407 and to Port Perry. Like Big Pipe, get water and sewage, then re-create the Peel, Halton, York sameness. Or are things sort of limited to just the planned North Pickering development?

I couldn't quickly find a relevant map, but the airport lands area is very close to the greenbelt and protected lands, particularly to the north towards Port Perry. The York Durham 'big pipe' is primarily a York Region sanitary sewage system; Durham gets included because the main discharge moves down through Durham to the main Duffins Creek Treatment Plant in Pickering. I'm not sure even Uxbridge is on it or planned to be.

I couldn't quickly find a relevant map, but the airport lands area is very close to the greenbelt and protected lands, particularly to the north towards Port Perry. The York Durham 'big pipe' is primarily a York Region sanitary sewage system; Durham gets included because the main discharge moves down through Durham to the main Duffins Creek Treatment Plant in Pickering. I'm not sure even Uxbridge is on it or planned to be.

You can find the detailed maps here:

But in general, there isn't a lot of unprotected developable land in Durham.

AoD

Uxbridge is still on a local based system. It's limiting growth quite a bit because they don't have servicing capacity. Uxbridge doesn't have a ton of additional greenfield lands, just a bit for maybe 3-4,000 new residents, but has been receiving quite a lot of new infill townhouse applications within the existing urban boundary and even those are struggling to get servicing.

Durham is looking at upgrading the plant to eke out an additional 1,400 units of servicing capacity, but I doubt that would even be enough to service the little amount of greenfield land the town has.

Uxbridge currently has a population of about 12,000, I would be surprised to see that move north of 15,000 any time soon.

As McMansions and urban sprawl start to envelop the Pickering airport lands the misinformation about the airport is picking up.

A good example of this is suggesting that the older, small GA airport in Oshawa can simply be expand.
Anyone buying one of the new million dollar homes now being build right up to the PASZR NEF 30 should not be fooled by this or surprised by a bit of aircraft noise In the future. Always amazed by the wishful thinking Syndrome.

Here is a more specific discussion of this issue:

No one is speaking about oshawa as a potential reliever airport for the GTA. Its runway system and other infrastructure CANNOT be expanded to accomodate modern passenger planes

No one is speaking about oshawa as a potential reliever airport for the GTA. Its runway system and other infrastructure CANNOT be expanded to accomodate modern passenger planes
I agree totally, the website that pushed this ( growoshawa.ca ) is now offline but the idea that oshawa or Buttonville could be expanded is still there. It’s next level misdirection, right along side the idea that all the aviation experts are somehow wrong about Pearson’s capacity.
as an example, just last week:
4D86B5B2-A9FE-4B9A-86BC-8B9EFBB64E08.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok so nothing like 500k pop in new greenfield population. Recall realizing this awhile back. But do wonder how set in stone some of this greenbelt stuff is, and there does seem to be a fair amount of space left. Particularly with towns and semis filled in (normal style, not the giganto ones we're seeing built in the outer areas nowadays).

Ok so nothing like 500k pop in new greenfield population. Recall realizing this awhile back. But do wonder how set in stone some of this greenbelt stuff is, and there does seem to be a fair amount of space left. Particularly with towns and semis filled in (normal style, not the giganto ones we're seeing built in the outer areas nowadays).

It's only as set as the current provincial government says it is. So, with a new election comes new risks to it..

At minimum, the airport isn't happening for the next few years. The optics of building a massive multi-billion dollar airport before some major rail investment would be terrible. Could cost the Liberals seats in the GTA by outright shifting to NDP or splitting the vote.

Wait, you mean unless it is an environmentally sound project it won't happen?

And then there is this....

Back