News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 681     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 939     0 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

Exactly! Everyone keeps low balling it, but the reality is that air travel is the future of moving people between cities and countries. It beats driving hands down for emissions and it’s only getting better! So it’s time to stop pussyfooting around and build the infrastructure that will remove the congestion and excess emissions caused by that congestion!

Every corporate road trip in the company car replaced by an airline seat is emissions saved and that much closer to making our country’s Paris emissions targets.

The aviation sector has been protected for a while because the interstate regulatory nature of aviation makes it hard to impose carbon taxes. More and more of the world, particularly the coming generations are getting frustrated and fed up with inaction on climate change. I don't think Boomers really get how concerned (and even angry) millennials are about this.
Aviation can get out in front of it or accept policy being imposed on them. And the window for that choice is slowly closing. Millennials and post-millennials are going to be the bulk of voters in every OECD country in 5 years.

Exactly! Everyone keeps low balling it, but the reality is that air travel is the future of moving people between cities and countries. It beats driving hands down for emissions and it’s only getting better! So it’s time to stop pussyfooting around and build the infrastructure that will remove the congestion and excess emissions caused by that congestion!

Every corporate road trip in the company car replaced by an airline seat is emissions saved and that much closer to making our country’s Paris emissions targets.

Exhibit A of Boomers who don't get it.....

I am going to guess that Mark Brooks doesn't know who Greta Thunberg is and her stance on the kind of aviation development Mark is pushing.

Also, LOL @ the idea that corporate employees take roadtrips in cars. If Mark actually believes this, he's more foregone than I thought.

Exhibit A of Boomers who don't get it.....

I am going to guess that Mark Brooks doesn't know who Greta Thunberg is and her stance on the kind of aviation development Mark is pushing.

Also, LOL @ the idea that corporate employees take roadtrips in cars. If Mark actually believes this, he's more foregone than I thought.
The aviation sector has been protected for a while because the interstate regulatory nature of aviation makes it hard to impose carbon taxes. More and more of the world, particularly the coming generations are getting frustrated and fed up with inaction on climate change. I don't think Boomers really get how concerned (and even angry) millennials are about this.
Aviation can get out in front of it or accept policy being imposed on them. And the window for that choice is slowly closing. Millennials and post-millennials are going to be the bulk of voters in every OECD country in 5 years.

Most of North America could be accessible by HSR, if instead of investing in giant airports and highways we invested in rail. Look at places like Europe.

The Canadian Federal election on October 21st will determine if Pickering airport will be built in time or if Torontos aviation capacity squeeze is allowed to become intolerable.

Find out where the parties stand and vote accordingly. For or against, just vote!

I feel that you have grossly misunderstood the message in the article.

The message IMO was that current demand is being met by aircraft technology improvements but that demand is negating any benefita gained from aircraft efficiency improvements. I dont see the line of reasoning that says the conclusion is that we should expand air travel infrastructures

The message IMO was that current demand is being met by aircraft technology improvements but that demand is negating any benefita gained from aircraft efficiency improvements. I dont see the line of reasoning that says the conclusion is that we should expand air travel infrastructures

I feel that I understand it very well. North America is not a command control economy. Constraining Aviation is not a magic level you can pull to inhibit freedom of movement. If you jack the cost of air travel or squeeze the capacity so that only the rich can fly, everyone else will simply take the dirty road and spew away.

Climate Symbolism is great, but not when it adds emissions while claiming to reduce them. Building Pickering airport is a classic Infrastructure Paradox. Building it will reduce emissions per passenger by reducing congestion and improving efficiency.

I applaud and support the climate movement and their new Star Greta for trying to Change consumer behavior, but I live in the real world. I know that some want to use this Crisis and associated symbolism for political gain to con us into switching to a command control economy. For the far left and right ( anti growth/ anti immigration) Every crisis is a opportunity to push their agenda.

I will vote for substance, efficiency over symbolism.

It's in his interest to misrepresent the issue. He's here pretending that highly paid professionals take roadtrips and that the real issue with emissions from aviation is the drive to the airport, and not, you know, the flight itself.

But hey, we're in the age of Trump and forums will allow anybody to spew propoaganda so.....

Try telling that to the local candidates, especially the Green Party.

Here is a conservative take on it:

The Airport again became a topic at the local candidates forum:

Locally, of course it matters. But nationally, who cares? Not the federal parties. If you wish to argue that, show me which party has this airport specifically listed.

Has the Pickering Airport been coming up locally as a federal election issue? Is CPC saying they are in favour of it?

Back