News   Apr 19, 2024
 641     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 733     1 

Pic of the day

grey

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have no idea what I'm looking at! :confused: Why is there a pyramid in early 1900s Toronto?!

I don't remember the details, but I think it was a proposal at one point for the site where the CN Tower now sits. I think it "may" have been designed by Buckminster Fuller.

was it supposed to be made from fullerenes?

Toronto Pending is a fascinating website that describes a series of proposed megaprojects. It's flash, so unfortunately I can't link to the specific page that describes the pyramid proposal. The pyramids were part of a proposal called "Project Toronto" and was designed in 1968. The project would have built housing for thousands of people at the waterfront, with floating "islands" that would have more housing on them, a large mall and monorail that would go from University Avenue to the waterfront.

That's just one of the far-out, dreamy megaprojects proposed for the city. Many of them can be read at Toronto Pending.

fuller had the same idea for other cities as well. i took this when i was at the MoMA in NYC.

2111552325_05ee9014b5_b.jpg

The most obvious thing which is out of place in Today's Pic of the day (1928 Map of Toronto) is the Islands are connected to the mainland. The docklands and the Toronto Harbor are reversed and The Yaught Club has moved.
What else?

The most obvious thing which is out of place in Today's Pic of the day (1928 Map of Toronto) is the Islands are connected to the mainland. The docklands and the Toronto Harbor are reversed and The Yaught Club has moved.
What else?

Well, it's the scheme with the proposed lakefront parkway--that which would have put the "Boulevard" in "Lake Shore Boulevard"...)

it's a future rendering of what toronto will look like in 2010. so u 'll recognize some of those buildings in 3 or so years. ;)

It's a rendering of Toronto in 2010 littered with towers that look like they were designed and built in 1993.

That "cassius" reference is to an avatar over at Skyscraper City (SSC), on the "Toronto Future Skyline" thread. The first pix below is an enlarged view, which is followed by a couple of other near-future projections:

toronto-2010.jpg

CityPlace.jpg

Toronto%20Skyline%202015.2.jpg

I like the first one for the simple fact that the skyline is considerably widened by these buildings north of Queen St. I'm diggin that triple tower complex in the foreground. Future Ryerson Student residences? The bottom pano is way out of date as it still seems to include the Sapphire proposal with the globe on top, long since dead.... and leaves out tons of other stuff that is well under construction.

Back