Toronto Peter Street Condominiums | 129.84m | 40s | CentreCourt | a—A

Not Another Starbucks! What is up with these developers? You'd think they would go after the very best retail to reflect their claims in advertising. Instead it's Starbucks, Shoppers, or a bank.

Not Another Starbucks! What is up with these developers? You'd think they would go after the very best retail to reflect their claims in advertising. Instead it's Starbucks, Shoppers, or a bank.

It's not the developers, it's the market. I'm sure they wouldn't say no to Tiffany's or Chanel.

A lot better than crappy ass croissant tree that was located inside the building next door. Good news! Funny thing is there's a starbucks just a block south on King. Then there's one a block away from that one in the M5V building.

BTW, they could have done a LOT worse than a Starbucks. Lets be happy it wasn't a bank, dry cleaners or subway.

What? Starbucks is equally as bad as a bank and a Subway, and I’d much prefer a dry cleaners. At least it’s possible for the latter to be a locally-owned business. And Shoppers Drug Mart? I wish. Shoppers Drug Mart would be heaven compared to yet another Starbucks. At least it sells more than coffee and is Canadian.

What? Starbucks is equally as bad as a bank and a Subway, and I’d much prefer a dry cleaners.

Yes, dry cleaners are famous to make vibrant streets with their patios. Oh, yeah, I forgot that Starbucks is another evil multinational brand!!!11!!

The funny thing is you could have said that you would like rather to see a Timothy's (or whatever another Canadian coffe shop aside from Timmy's) in that location, but your blind hatred for Starbucks just made your statement risible.

Last edited:
Yes, dry cleaners are famous to make vibrant streets with their patios. Oh, yeah, I forgot that Starbucks is another evil multinational brand!!!11!!

The funny thing is you could have said that you would like rather to see a Timothy's (or whatever another Canadian coffe shop aside from Timmy's) in that location, but your blind hatred for Starbucks just made your statement risible.

I don't think it's "blind hatred" at all. It would be nice to see more variety in the core. Like TheKingEast said there's another Starbucks right around the corner. I'm thinking one of a kind retail/restaurants, maybe a wild donought shop, burger place, mexican all you can eat, or Hello Kitty Canada (crazy I know). Just something to spice up the repetitive retail in the core.

I don't think it's "blind hatred" at all. It would be nice to see more variety in the core. Like TheKingEast said there's another Starbucks right around the corner. I'm thinking one of a kind retail/restaurants, maybe a wild donought shop, burger place, mexican all you can eat, or Hello Kitty Canada (crazy I know). Just something to spice up the repetitive retail in the core.

I agree with you but I think it's harder to attract those kinds of places for a variety of reasons. Pretty sure those smaller retail outlets are unwilling to pay the high rents or are not as accommodating as a Starbucks or Tim Hortons. Sometimes, though... getting the smaller independent places don't work out. Take my building for instance. 3 retail spaces. One is a furniture store, the other is a spa (which has closed down) and the last one is a hardwood store. I'd kill for a Starbucks. LOL. I guess the right kind of retail is what's important. Whether it's a big chain or a small fry.

16 August 2014
kGSNLzp.jpg

H97w8lw.jpg

When have 'distinctive landmark(s),' each vying for their own attention, ever 'come together in harmony?'

I personally find the L Tower, the Esplanade "flat-iron" and London on the Esplanade, to look harmonious together, even though they are vastly differing styles.

Why is everything on UT thought of in absolutes? The retort to why we should avoid bland architecture is the we don't want to be Dubai? That's absurd. There is a huge middle ground in between a plain box and a heavily ornamented tower. We need to fully explore this middle ground, and not keep justifying bland design with the fear of looking like Disneyland.

I personally find the L Tower, the Esplanade "flat-iron" and London on the Esplanade, to look harmonious together, even though they are vastly differing styles.

Why is everything on UT thought of in absolutes? The retort to why we should avoid bland architecture is the we don't want to be Dubai? That's absurd. There is a huge middle ground in between a plain box and a heavily ornamented tower. We need to fully explore this middle ground, and not keep justifying bland design with the fear of looking like Disneyland.

I find that most Torontonians (especially on UT) that are really passionate about architecture are cut from the same cloth. They all seem to think that the international style is the greatest style of architecture and that everything must adhere to minimalist aesthetics. They've been conditioned to believe this, in my opinion. They have no mind(s) of their own. I do like modernist architecture quite a bit but, this city has more than enough of it. I don't know why so many are so reluctant to accept fresh, contemporary, eclectic ideas. Modernism died over 40 years ago; let's move on.

are we going to have a Starbucks / bank / dry cleaner / Rabba in all these new buildings? Probably. What a joke...can we officially change the area name "entertainment district" to something else?

I find that most Torontonians (especially on UT) that are really passionate about architecture are cut from the same cloth. They all seem to think that the international style is the greatest style of architecture and that everything must adhere to minimalist aesthetics. They've been conditioned to believe this, in my opinion. They have no mind(s) of their own. I do like modernist architecture quite a bit but, this city has more than enough of it. I don't know why so many are so reluctant to accept fresh, contemporary, eclectic ideas. Modernism died over 40 years ago; let's move on.

You hit the nail on the head. That describes most of the members who seem to hate any kind decoration, colour or anything that involves creativity. God forbid, any developer should try anything out of the ordinary or take a risk. On Urban Toronto, conformity is the name of the game. Anything other than minimalism is a travesty on here. Toronto really is a conservative town at heart but there are still a few non-conformists around, stirring the pot, fortunately.

You hit the nail on the head. That describes most of the members who seem to hate any kind decoration, colour or anything that involves creativity. God forbid, any developer should try anything out of the ordinary or take a risk. On Urban Toronto, conformity is the name of the game. Anything other than minimalism is a travesty on here. Toronto really is a conservative town at heart but there are still a few non-conformists around, stirring the pot, fortunately.

The irony is that liberals (most of UT and probably the majority of architectural enthusiasts) hate conservatism yet they love the most conservative form or architecture. You'd think they would be more open to unconventional styles of design since their political philosophy is to leave the past behind and continue progressing; yet they're still stuck in 1960 something when it comes to designing buildings.

The problem is, most people on this site pride themselves on having "good taste" as opposed to creativity. Anything that challenges rules of how things should be, is just too far out of the box for them. These people would have had Antoni Gaudi tarred and feathered. The continuation of more glass cubes with grey spandrel and glass walled retail, is more then enough stimulation for these people.

I fail to understand how people can continue to justify one clone building after another. The Peter Street condominium is not a terrible building, it just looks like so many other buildings and we are getting to the point where all this blandness is becoming oppressive. This city should strive to be a leader, not a follower when it comes to design and architecture. Where are the risk takers who challenge conformity? We just don't have enough real artists, looking for new ways of doing things.

Back