Toronto Peter Street Condominiums | 129.84m | 40s | CentreCourt | a—A

I wonder if the units are being bought mostly by the 30-ish and under crowd. They don't seem to care or be aware of any space beyond that which is necessary to operate their handheld devices anyway. Cocooning has fully arrived.

Peter street units are ridiculously small, they are purposefully designed to attract investors, all I saw at the sales centre signing purchase agreements were either chinese or east indian investors hoping to capture the allure of the entertainment district, hyped by all the agents there as the Yorkville of tomorrow. its gonna be a 99% rental complex.

Last edited:
That is really unfortunate.
The location is excellent and the design of the building is quite handsome.
Unless there is a chance to do some minor modifications to the floor plans (i.e. take out a wall or a bedroom, etc.), the cramped floorplans is definitely a deal breaker for me.

That is really unfortunate.
The location is excellent and the design of the building is quite handsome.
Unless there is a chance to do some minor modifications to the floor plans (i.e. take out a wall or a bedroom, etc.), the cramped floorplans is definitely a deal breaker for me.
yup, also this project is headed by Centrecourt, they are new on the sence, Peter street would be their first go at it. So if there is to be a softpatch in the market down the road, I wonder if you'll see a repeat of the lengthy delays experienced by buyers in the 2006 time frame.

This strikes me as very much an investor building, due to the size of the units. No doubt, that it will be full of renters.

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 1R4

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 11 287084 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Oct 4, 2011

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res New Building

Description: New 40 storey mixed use building with retail at grade (305m2), 2nd and 3rd floor offices (1464m2), 429 residential units above (27222m2), 108 parking spaces in 5 levels below grade parking (5893m2), mechanical service space (1343m2), with sprinklers throughout the building (36227). See 10-304143 for Site Plan Approval, and 10 239523 for Rezoning application.

...As opposed to...?

Fire hose cabinets on each floor (which is the code minimum requirement) along with sprinklers in underground / garage areas, plus (when applicable) sprinklers in front of windows which are on the property line. Sprinklers are not otherwise a requirement in residential areas - either single family or multi-unit high rise housing.

Fire hose cabinets on each floor (which is the code minimum requirement) along with sprinklers in underground / garage areas, plus (when applicable) sprinklers in front of windows which are on the property line. Sprinklers are not otherwise a requirement in residential areas - either single family or multi-unit high rise housing.

Exactly. The OBC doesn't currently mandate that residential occupancies be sprinkered. So it's pretty rare to see it (I believe that Aura is to be sprinklered, as well).

This is expected to change in the next version of the code.

Last edited:
Wow... really? I would have thought sprinklers were definitely mandatory. Yikes.

Thanks for the clarification :).

Clarification point - sprinklers are mandatory:

• Mandatory residential fire sprinklers were adopted into the Ontario Building Code for buildings 4 storeys and higher on June 18, 2008;
  • The new requirements apply to building permit applications for Part 3 buildings filed on or after April 1, 2010.

Mike - Thanks for the clarification. I had missed the sprinkler requirements upgrade to the Ontario Building Code.

Wow. That's good to hear.

This is how you know that you've worked on the same project for far, far too long

yup, also this project is headed by Centrecourt, they are new on the sence, Peter street would be their first go at it. So if there is to be a softpatch in the market down the road, I wonder if you'll see a repeat of the lengthy delays experienced by buyers in the 2006 time frame.

Centrecourt is a spinoff of Menkes headed by Menkes' former Director of Development (or maybe its CEO; I can't recall). Anyway, Centrecourt's not exactly "new on the scene".

Centrecourt is a spinoff of Menkes headed by Menkes' former Director of Development (or maybe its CEO; I can't recall). Anyway, Centrecourt's not exactly "new on the scene".

You're off on that one, Centrecourt is NOT a spinoff of Menkes, the founder Andrew Huffman used to be the Chief Operating Officer of Menkes, Menkes has no current ties with centrecourt whatsoever, so they're indeed new on the scene with no prior projects anywhere.

Back