News   Mar 28, 2024
 151     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 242     0 

Park Lawn Area Transportation Study

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Am I the only one to find this notice from the City a bit ironic?

Not an auspicious start... kind of lays out the problem. But I'm very glad to see this study under way.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 1.41.12 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 1.41.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 1.41.12 PM.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,640
This is a strange item being outside the Waterfront Reset study. Its needed.

It was stated during the Waterfront Reset meeting that Park Lawn Study would not be part of the main study when it has an impact on the study in the first place.

We all agree that something must happen here sooner than later to the point a GO Station needs to built there ASP.

I have stated far too long that a station needs to built there along with a 5-10,000 parking spot structure to take traffic off the Gardiner.

I have stated far too long that a station needs to built there along with a 5-10,000 parking spot structure to take traffic off the Gardiner.

I hope you aren't suggesting adding another 5-10,000 cars per day to Park Lawn ;-)

I get what you are saying - although why would anyone bring a car as far as Park Lawn before parking ? We should be looking for ways to get those cars parked further out beyond the 427.

- Paul

I hope you aren't suggesting adding another 5-10,000 cars per day to Park Lawn ;-)

I get what you are saying - although why would anyone bring a car as far as Park Lawn before parking ? We should be looking for ways to get those cars parked further out beyond the 427.

- Paul
I would build ramps off/to the Gardiner to the structure only. Its the only easy get to/from location.

Catching traffic before 427 will cause more headaches for the local area as well getting to a none existing GO Station. This where the Cloverdale Transit Hub comes into play.

You can always build the structure over the Gardiner.

I attended the Public Meeting this evening.

Most interesting point was the proposed GO station - which was the clear #1 priority raised by those attending.

There was a rep from ML with a drawing. There are two potential sites - one at Park Lawn on the Christie lands, the other further east next to Humber Loop. Biggest thing standing in the way is the need to widen the Gardiner underpass to allow properly-sized platforms. The plan showed four tracks with an outer platform on each side and one platform in the middle for the middle two tracks. It was pointed out that the City owns the Gardiner overpass and so they would have to be brought into the picture to approve the change (this didn't seem like a big obstacle, but I wondered if this was a hint that GO would expect the City to pay for the station along the lines of the ST stations, which Park Lawn arguably is.) If the western location were chosen, the streetcar loop would move to create a new transit hub.

Also discussion of potential to separate the streetcar track on the Lakeshore, with a wider roadway.

Some interesting enhancements are planned to the waterfront bike trail, and a north-south connection along the east bank of the Mimico Creek to the Queensway and beyond.

Lots of commentary about how messed up vehicular traffic flows has become.

- Paul

Metrolinx has issued a Notice of Open House Public Meeting
“Update on upcoming improvements to Mimico and Long Branch GO Stations and development plans for potential Park Lawn Go”
July 5 2018
Mimico Presbyterian Church - 119 Mimico Avenue
2-4 PM and 6-8 PM

- Paul

Metrolinx has issued a Notice of Open House Public Meeting
“Update on upcoming improvements to Mimico and Long Branch GO Stations and development plans for potential Park Lawn Go”
July 5 2018
Mimico Presbyterian Church - 119 Mimico Avenue
2-4 PM and 6-8 PM

- Paul

Found a link here.

If you can’t make the meeting, download a copy of the Metrolinx Mimico & Long Branch Briefing Deck (PDF).

Park Lawn Station.jpg

June 2016 - Metrolinx Board of Directors adopted 12 new stations to be included in the ten year, GO Expansion program. These stations were identified through an initial business case process. A decision on a Park Lawn GO station was deferred pending further consultation with stakeholders to improve technical and operational constraints.

February 2018 - Updated business cases reveal significant benefits to building these new GO stations to provide more access to better, faster service we’re delivering through GO Expansion. New analysis included updated modelling that now includes removal of fare barriers, express service and level boarding, and optimized service patterns.

As part of this review, a refined station layout and location at Park Lawn was found to be an increasingly strong transit investment. Further investigation of the costs and benefits of this station is being carried out with a report available in late 2018.

If approved by the Metrolinx Board, the station will require funding and an EA before construction would start.

Attachments

• Park Lawn Station.jpg
    Park Lawn Station.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:
Is there any plan for the City of Toronto to annex lands from the Ontario Food terminal to create an exit ramp to the Westbound Gardiner from the right hand lane of North-Bound Park Lawn? Many people in this area work West/North and the left hand turn required to get onto the Westbound Gardiner cause so much extra traffic that could be eliminated.

Is there any plan for the City of Toronto to annex lands from the Ontario Food terminal to create an exit ramp to the Westbound Gardiner from the right hand lane of North-Bound Park Lawn? Many people in this area work West/North and the left hand turn required to get onto the Westbound Gardiner cause so much extra traffic that could be eliminated.

I don't know of one. I don't recall this being mentioned back when they had the public meetings about the area.

The timing of the signalling at this intersection is just odd, and does seem to work to the disadvantage of north to west turning vehicles. Interesting idea to permit left turns from both northbound lanes. Of course there's still a limit as the two lanes would have to zipper merge once on the ramp.

In my experience the limiting factor is actually the trucks coming out of the food terminal onto the ramp. Some are overloaded, some are underpowered or in poor repair, and some drivers haven't learned how to shift gears. The result is a line of cars following a very slow moving truck that isn't accelerating as it enters the WB Gardiner. And for some reason, drivers (trucks, service vehicles, even police cars) love to park on the shoulder immediately west of the end of the ramp, which removes any margin for error when merging. Pretty messed up, for sure.

- Paul

In my experience the limiting factor is actually the trucks coming out of the food terminal onto the ramp. Some are overloaded, some are underpowered or in poor repair, and some drivers haven't learned how to shift gears. The result is a line of cars following a very slow moving truck that isn't accelerating as it enters the WB Gardiner. And for some reason, drivers (trucks, service vehicles, even police cars) love to park on the shoulder immediately west of the end of the ramp, which removes any margin for error when merging. Pretty messed up, for sure.

- Paul

And the trucks coming from the Food Terminal cause the change in lights - otherwise, the light remains green (north/south along Park Lawn), which ultimately causes problems for vehicles trying to turn left onto the west bound Gardiner, as they don't end up getting the "advance green" left signal (which occurs after a red light).

And the trucks coming from the Food Terminal cause the change in lights - otherwise, the light remains green (north/south along Park Lawn), which ultimately causes problems for vehicles trying to turn left onto the west bound Gardiner, as they don't end up getting the "advance green" left signal (which occurs after a red light).
Half the traffic issues in this area would be fixed by transportation services actually - doing - their jobs, instead of telling us how transit isn't a worthy investment here because people have habits.

Park Lawn and HWY#27/Humber should be first priority stations service growing high density population at PL and Humber college, Woodbine, and at major hospital just north of the Kitchener GO line/Humber.

Interesting update from Councillor Grimes here
.. Maybe now we will see some forward progress on a GO station and/or a new TTC loop.

- Paul

Back