News   Apr 22, 2024
 786     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 265     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 670     0 

Paradise Theatre (1006 Bloor St W, Tawse, restoration, ERA Architects)

Paradise have just announced that December 5th, 2019 will be their opening date. Full program with tickets and details will go live on November 27th.

Paradise have just announced that December 5th, 2019 will be their opening date. Full program with tickets and details will go live on November 27th.

They also have a free movie screening on November 28th... ;)

Couple shots from last night. Officially opening this week. Resto/bar to be opened at later date.

IMG_20191126_184141.jpg

IMG_20191126_184209.jpg

IMG_20191126_184405.jpg

IMG_20191126_205416.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191126_205417.jpg
    IMG_20191126_205417.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 384
@ShonTron and I were there last night too! Beautifully fixed up, and I particularly love the lobby and bar area. The seats look very nice… but we were in them for three hours— for ceremonies before the film, and continuing through a Q&A afterwards—and I was already thinking that before the end of the two hour film that they aren't up to the quality of the Lightbox seats, for example. So, go see stuff here (there's some really interesting programming coming up over the next couple of months), but I'd think twice before seeing particularly long film here. Maybe @PatM and @AlbertC had better experiences with them?

@ShonTron and I were there last night too! Beautifully fixed up, and I particularly love the lobby and bar area. The seats look very nice… but we were in them for three hours— for ceremonies before the film, and continuing through a Q&A afterwards—and I was already thinking that before the end of the two hour film that they aren't up to the quality of the Lightbox seats, for example. So, go see stuff here (there's some really interesting programming coming up over the next couple of months), but I'd think twice before seeing particularly long film here. Maybe @PatM and @AlbertC had better experiences with them?

I echo the same compliments about the exterior and interior aesthetics of the theatre. Very classy looking lobby and bar concept. They've created a nice and cozy social space out front. The audio and video quality of the theatre system was quite good. I have the same thoughts about the seating though. To sit through a longer film like Gundermann yesterday, it does get a bit stiff and you'd likely need to step out and take a quick break.

I'd also add to be careful and avoid the second last row of seats at the back of the theatre. Even though that section is raised a bit higher, the seating alignment of that 2nd last row is matched up exactly with the row right in front of it, so your view will get blocked substantially. I believe all the other rows in front are fine though, and have the seating placements staggered.

The upcoming programming does look interesting. A nice mix of classics and lesser known films, which covers a diverse range of genres. I like theme of "Toronto Plays Itself" which goes on in January 2020, and will show a variety of movies filmed in Toronto and about Toronto.

Back