News   Mar 28, 2024
 458     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 310     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 329     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

Do they not know that the Canadian runs from Sudbury to Toronto? I guess they would still need to certify the northern section.

All of the stations are in place, you could start with portable toilets or trailers and heated shelters instead of opening the station building. Portables could be used as ticket booths.

Don't need to do it properly the first time.
It would seem to make sense not to delay reinstatement simply to sort out trackside facilities, Of the ones I can think of, Washago and Bracebridge were only shelters anyway. Where former station structures still exist intact, they are mostly municipally or privately owned so negotiations for space would have to occur.

I don't recall for sure, but I thought they went to online booking even before discontinuation and dropped the need for agents (but could be wrong).

The returned Northlander will not be going through Sudbury or using either of those subs.

It would seem to make sense not to delay reinstatement simply to sort out trackside facilities, Of the ones I can think of, Washago and Bracebridge were only shelters anyway. Where former station structures still exist intact, they are mostly municipally or privately owned so negotiations for space would have to occur.

I don't recall for sure, but I thought they went to online booking even before discontinuation and dropped the need for agents (but could be wrong).
Huntsville still exists.

The only station torn down since the end of the Northlander was the building at Swastika. Some of the stations, like the one at Cobalt, did not have any passenger services, only a bench under a canopy in the last years. Ontario Northland also moved its bus stops from some of its stations, like at New Liskeard, where the bus stop was relocated from the rail station (a boxy 1970s-era structure) to the hospital. In Gravenhurst, the bus stop was moved from the station to a nearby bait shop just south of the downtown core.

Last edited:

Highlights from the above:

1635279580454.png

1635279561014.png

1635279629628.png

1635279658206.png

Also suggested is that they believe changing transportation patterns deriving from Covid may actually boost the ridership number.

Colour me skeptical on that one.......

Highlights from the above:

View attachment 358452

View attachment 358451

View attachment 358453

View attachment 358454

Also suggested is that they believe changing transportation patterns deriving from Covid may actually boost the ridership number.

Colour me skeptical on that one.......

Offering service from Timmins will require a station east of Porcupine, which is at least a 20 minute drive from Downtown Timmins. Most of the track is gone, with only some industrial leads to the mines in Hoyle and at Texas Gulf north on 655.

I just don’t see it without major expenditures to upgrade the existing rails and extend track at least to South Porcupine, if not Schumacher or Timmins proper.

Offering service from Timmins will require a station east of Porcupine, which is at least a 20 minute drive from Downtown Timmins. Most of the track is gone, with only some industrial leads to the mines in Hoyle and at Texas Gulf north on 655.

I just don’t see it without major expenditures to upgrade the existing rails and extend track at least to South Porcupine, if not Schumacher or Timmins proper.

As far as I know the ROW is still intact (term used very loosely) to the Hydro One substation just east of Schumacher ('old hydro spur'). Much upgrading would be required but at least its not built over (except road crossings). Downtown Timmins would be a bridge too far. Regardless, any option within city limits is closer than Porquis or Matheson and serviceable by city transit. With either location - or somewhere in between - facilities of some kind would be required. They also need a way to turn the train unless they have power on both ends or bi-facing units to somehow run around. There is (or was) a wye at Hoyle but I don't know if it is in service. Regardless, it is (was?) very short unless they could hold the cars between the legs and turn just the power.

I imagine the burghers of Timmins will lobby hard for something other than a bus connection out to Hwy 11.

As far as I know the ROW is still intact (term used very loosely) to the Hydro One substation just east of Schumacher ('old hydro spur'). Much upgrading would be required but at least its not built over (except road crossings). Downtown Timmins would be a bridge too far. Regardless, any option within city limits is closer than Porquis or Matheson and serviceable by city transit. With either location - or somewhere in between - facilities of some kind would be required. They also need a way to turn the train unless they have power on both ends or bi-facing units to somehow run around. There is (or was) a wye at Hoyle but I don't know if it is in service. Regardless, it is (was?) very short unless they could hold the cars between the legs and turn just the power.

I imagine the burghers of Timmins will lobby hard for something other than a bus connection out to Hwy 11.

I've been wondering the same. I wonder if there are long-term benefits to having bi-directional capability. Maybe order one of the new GO cab coaches from Thunder Bay? cc @smallspy

I've been wondering the same. I wonder if there are long-term benefits to having bi-directional capability. Maybe order one of the new GO cab coaches from Thunder Bay? cc @smallspy

I remembering hearing they tried those on the PBX and they were unsuitable for the tracks. I don't know about the rest of the line.

Back