News   Apr 16, 2024
 295     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     6 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

micheal_can said lets make sure that blue dosen't win in our ridings, meaning, I assume, that we ensure PC candidates are not elected. I countered the Red (Liberal MP's) did wonders for The Northlander train sarcastically meaning that they did not, in fact they were the ones who canceled the service.

micheal_can said lets make sure that blue dosen't win in our ridings, meaning, I assume, that we ensure PC candidates are not elected. I countered the Red (Liberal MP's) did wonders for The Northlander train sarcastically meaning that they did not, in fact they were the ones who canceled the service.

True, but I guess you forgot about the premier from North Bay who gutted it too. Just because someone else did stuff, doesn't give a pass for a current party from doing something like it.

Thanks for clarifying.

Because Red did wonders for The Northlander train.
Red promised not to restore it.

Blue promised to restore it. Surely we should be holding politicians accountable for keeping their promises. Red kept theirs.

Any Blue Clues? I have every faith that they wouldn't break such a simple, clear, promise. Someone should FOIA their work on the file.

Red promised not to restore it.

Blue promised to restore it. Surely we should be holding politicians accountable for keeping their promises. Red kept theirs.

Any Blue Clues? I have every faith that they wouldn't break such a simple, clear, promise. Someone should FOIA their work on the file.
Blue also gutted it.

Prospects don't look good for either the ACR and restored passenger rail in general. They don't make sense, and Greg Gormick sums it up in these articles.

From the first article (a bit harsh):
That’s the name one newspaper editor slapped on this alphabet soup of rail “experts” because their acronym sounds like a braying donkey – as does their constant bleating to spend, spend, spend on rail service of all sorts. And hang the public cost.

There was a time when citizen advocacy was tempered by solid research aimed at defending the public interest in the face of political conniving and game playing. But that day is long past. These groups have become spotlight-seeking vehicles for amateurs who know less about the real world of transportation than your average barnyard donkey, a.k.a. jackass. At last count, there were nine of these ego-tripping groups. That’s the same number as there are rail passenger routes in Ontario – and two of those are currently mothballed due to the pandemic.

The effectiveness of this collection of choo choo huggers is questionable when you consider not a single thing they’ve ever advocated has been enacted over a period of more than a decade. And that none of them have ever worked in the rail industry.

Last edited:
I dont think Doug has the authority to mandate VIA to cancel services from Sarnia and use them in the North.

Can they not use the ONR Legacy fleet to run those services?

I dont think Doug has the authority to mandate VIA to cancel services from Sarnia and use them in the North.

Can they not use the ONR Legacy fleet to run those services?

Perhaps some of the stainless VIA HEP fleet that will be replaced with the new Siemens trains could be used for ONR.

That being said I do think that VIA should take over the ONR route, including the reinstatement of the part to Toronto.

Back