News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

It was more in response to some who think any train that enters the GTA must take on a commuter role. Having a north-GTA stop would just be a way of easing those passengers coming from/going to non-downtown locations. I honestly don't know if passenger demographics would support this.
I think that depends on what you mean. Nobody is going to commute from North Bay to Toronto everyday. But what if you have a meeting in Toronto or a hospital appointment?

Now I think that with the droves of people who have moved out of the city and moved to Muskoka during the pandemic, they may still have jobs in Toronto. So that's where a realistic Commuter market would be (South of Huntsville). If you can get on at Huntsville at 6 and be in Toronto for 8:30 and only need to do it once or twice a week then it's very much doable. The other thing is for those living in Muskoka to visit Toronto for a weekend, or continue on to Montreal or other places.

Not to mention the weekend crowd to cottage country, which is why GO Transit has more service to Barrie on weekends. But one train in and out each day makes it tough, since if you miss it, you are SOL. Four trains in each direction (Two in the AM, two in the PM) would be ideal so that a train leaves Toronto and North Bay so that you can leave first thing in the morning and get to the other end by 8:30 am. Considering that the UP Express starts up around 5am means that you could have a Northlander Train leaving Union at 5am, which would get you to North Bay around 9am. The key would be bus connections along the way at each stop to make it easier to get customers to their final destination.

So partnering with Hammond Transportation to help people get from Washago to Penetang/Midland or to add stops at Langstaff and Gormley would help since if you live in Gormley you dont need to take the GO train down to Union to catch the Northlander back up to Bracebridge or wherever.

It was more in response to some who think any train that enters the GTA must take on a commuter role. Having a north-GTA stop would just be a way of easing those passengers coming from/going to non-downtown locations. I honestly don't know if passenger demographics would support this.
It goes down the Richmond Hill GO line. If it were to stop at the Langstaff GO/ RH Centre it would connect to good transit options there.

And eventually connect with the subway at highway 7 when it's built.

Probably getting into the fantasy land, but thinking: would it make sense to run one large daily train between North Bay and Union, and 2 or 3 additional daily trips just between Langstaff GO and say Huntsville using smaller trains, perhaps DMU consists without a loco?

Trips not going to Union will be less convenient for some, but on the positive side: a faster train turnaround, and no need to compete with other lines for a slot at Union.

Last edited:
How are you going to run EMU's when the line is not electrified? The train needs to be serviced at TMC, likely cleaned and fueled.

Back when it was running, did they use the Eye at TMC to turn the train?

How are you going to run EMU's when the line is not electrified? The train needs to be serviced at TMC, likely cleaned and fueled.

Back when it was running, did they use the Eye at TMC to turn the train?

Sorry .. DMUs of course, not EMUs.

Electification of this line is a very long shot, even in the fantasy land.

Probably getting into the fantasy land, but thinking: would it make sense to run one large daily train between North Bay and Union, and 2 or 3 additional daily trips just between Langstaff GO and say Huntsville using smaller trains, perhaps DMU consists without a loco?

Trips not going to Union will be less convenient for some, but on the positive side: a faster train turnaround, and no need to compete with other lines for a slot at Union.
I doubt the traffic is there. Maybe after a few years if south of North Bay is very busy, adding a train or more could make sense.

Mr Ford Nation made the promise, but it just seems like he is stalling. Did anyone really expect anything more?

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I think the original promise was made by Patrick Brown was the PC leader. Of course the Ford PCs carried it on into the 2018 campaign.

1611865837303.png

Let's walk before run. Restoring daily/thrice weekly service should be the start. Keep in mind for scheduling, crews. etc. the train doesn't stop at North Bay - it continues on to Cochrane.

I still remain to be convinced that, post-plague, long distance commuting, even irregular, with continue, at least in numbers that justify rail, Besides, any pax train to Huntsville or anyplace south of NB isn't part of ONTC's current mandate. It's CN track, ONR just had running rights.

Sure, let's not take shortcuts .. but in 2 1/2 years since the last elections, shouldn't one be able to come up with a plan?

Back