News   Mar 28, 2024
 529     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 410     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 749     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

OrilliaMatters: Knights Inn will be new Ontario Northland location in January.

They sold the train station building? Good luck getting trains back to the station or they will need to build a new one.

Pretty small footprint for highway coaches but I suppose you need a willing in-town host. I don't recall why the city unloaded the old station. It was a decent size in a decent location; perhaps it was cost vs. age of the structure, or they simply didn't want to own a bus terminal for somebody else (they recently announced a new city transit terminal downtown). The only other tenants were a tourist bureau and probably the worse Service Ontario office in the province.

Rail is not returning to Orillia. The ROW has been built over at several locations.

Pretty small footprint for highway coaches but I suppose you need a willing in-town host. I don't recall why the city unloaded the old station. It was a decent size in a decent location; perhaps it was cost vs. age of the structure, or they simply didn't want to own a bus terminal for somebody else (they recently announced a new city transit terminal downtown). The only other tenants were a tourist bureau and probably the worse Service Ontario office in the province.

Rail is not returning to Orillia. The ROW has been built over at several locations.
You could still build a station in Brechin. It's a bit out of town thou.

See the map.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-211205.png
    Screenshot_20201230-211205.png
    272.7 KB · Views: 176
See the map.

I thought after I signed off that you were referring to rail. The former/proposed/speculated/hoped-for Northlander does go through Brechin. I assume there was a station there at one time but it is long gone. It is a shorter distance to Washago where there is at least (very)basic station facilities. Neither the Northlander nor Canadian stopped south of Washago and I don't know if that was a result of some agreement or rule. I can see a 'north GTA stop', perhaps Bloomington or Richmond Hill, but turning a long-haul inter-city service into a commuter service once inside the region seems to have a lot of negative attached to it.

Right but by making it more convenient for people to transfer to other modes of transportation are useful.

It would be annoying to have to go all the way to Union to then take the GO train up to Richmond Hill.

For not only the Canadian but also for the Northlander.

I think using Bloomington or Gormley would be beneficial.

Right but by making it more convenient for people to transfer to other modes of transportation are useful.

It would be annoying to have to go all the way to Union to then take the GO train up to Richmond Hill.

For not only the Canadian but also for the Northlander.

I think using Bloomington or Gormley would be beneficial.

The one it should stop as is Langstaff GO/Richmond Hill Centre. It is an intermodel station, and transferring to other modes would work well.

I thought after I signed off that you were referring to rail. The former/proposed/speculated/hoped-for Northlander does go through Brechin. I assume there was a station there at one time but it is long gone. It is a shorter distance to Washago where there is at least (very)basic station facilities. Neither the Northlander nor Canadian stopped south of Washago and I don't know if that was a result of some agreement or rule. I can see a 'north GTA stop', perhaps Bloomington or Richmond Hill, but turning a long-haul inter-city service into a commuter service once inside the region seems to have a lot of negative attached to it.
Would this be a concern, though? I wouldn't think the operating hours for the Northlander would make it viable for commuters anyway.

Would this be a concern, though? I wouldn't think the operating hours for the Northlander would make it viable for commuters anyway.
How do you know the schedule of a train that isn't even running yet? Unless you are assuming that they will use the same schedule as before but that was the whole reason why people didnt take it.

Do you think they would do all of this public consultation and just run the train exactly as it was before?

How do you know the schedule of a train that isn't even running yet? Unless you are assuming that they will use the same schedule as before but that was the whole reason why people didnt take it.

Do you think they would do all of this public consultation and just run the train exactly as it was before?
Is there a non-overnight/sleeper schedule that would result in it pulling into Union at, say, 8:30am and pulling out after 5pm? It seems quite unlikely, especially the former.

It was more in response to some who think any train that enters the GTA must take on a commuter role. Having a north-GTA stop would just be a way of easing those passengers coming from/going to non-downtown locations. I honestly don't know if passenger demographics would support this.

Back