News   Mar 28, 2024
 112     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

I suppose anything is a good first step. The city transit map shows four of their seven routes loop into Northgate Mall; riders from other routes would have to link through the downtown transit hub. It would be a question whether the ONTC terminal and approaches could handle the added large vehicle traffic and whether the station or the mall is a better ridership/revenue generator for the city. It would be interesting to know the demographics of the ridership (current bus, possible train) in terms of who is from transit-served parts of the city and who is not. If I have to get a taxi/personal ride to get to transit, I'm going to keep going to the bus/train hub.

For large vehicles (transit or highway), factors such as year-round safe access, parking, churn space, etc. are issues with any terminal, particularly if the frequency is relatively high or multiple vehicles-at-one-time are involved.

I suppose anything is a good first step. The city transit map shows four of their seven routes loop into Northgate Mall; riders from other routes would have to link through the downtown transit hub. It would be a question whether the ONTC terminal and approaches could handle the added large vehicle traffic and whether the station or the mall is a better ridership/revenue generator for the city. It would be interesting to know the demographics of the ridership (current bus, possible train) in terms of who is from transit-served parts of the city and who is not. If I have to get a taxi/personal ride to get to transit, I'm going to keep going to the bus/train hub.

For large vehicles (transit or highway), factors such as year-round safe access, parking, churn space, etc. are issues with any terminal, particularly if the frequency is relatively high or multiple vehicles-at-one-time are involved.

That is why I suggest taking the one bus route and send it to the station. I doubt there is enough demand for more than that, but, by at least having the one route serving it, it can start showing whether there is a high enough demand for more.

Gong green means that taking transit over a taxi or someone else driving them is better. So, having the bus come into the station to pick up people is a good first step.

It's not green if we're making a diesel bus drive out of its way every 1/2 hour to not pick anyone up, or pick up 1-2 people who might otherwise just walk through the mall. It also delays the bus by a couple of minutes on each trip, which discourages others from using transit. I'm pro transit and think North Bay Transit does a great job, but in a city of that size and density taking a taxi to your destination is going to be the choice for many and I don't blame them.

The ONTC Station is not where I would put it if it was a bus-only facility, but it's there for rail access. We'd be further ahead to improve access to the mall.

It's not green if we're making a diesel bus drive out of its way every 1/2 hour to not pick anyone up, or pick up 1-2 people who might otherwise just walk through the mall. It also delays the bus by a couple of minutes on each trip, which discourages others from using transit. I'm pro transit and think North Bay Transit does a great job, but in a city of that size and density taking a taxi to your destination is going to be the choice for many and I don't blame them.

The ONTC Station is not where I would put it if it was a bus-only facility, but it's there for rail access. We'd be further ahead to improve access to the mall.

The ditsance is about 400m, hardly a major delay. This could simply be planned into their schedule. There is a bus from Toronto at 1740 daily. Sundays, the mall is closed at 1700. How do you suggest someone get a city bus if they can take the bus home?

This actually surprises me given the proposed ferrochrome refinery in SSM and the traffic it would generate south from Oba (in however many years). It suggests CN either doesn't have faith in the proposal or isn't willing to wait.

I can see the ONR buying it up. The fact that the north end is connected to Hearst which is connected to ONR's existing network. This might also play well with acquiring the HCR.

The ditsance is about 400m, hardly a major delay. This could simply be planned into their schedule. There is a bus from Toronto at 1740 daily. Sundays, the mall is closed at 1700. How do you suggest someone get a city bus if they can take the bus home?

I can see the ONR buying it up. The fact that the north end is connected to Hearst which is connected to ONR's existing network. This might also play well with acquiring the HCR.
I guess it comes down to if ONR has the cash available.

So....even if CN sells the line they will still be the operator of the train? How can they know that the buyer will agree to that?

What if the new buyer makes a condition to get rid of the train all together? They are the owners afterall.

I wonder if they will bring the non tourist train back as well.

Perhaps. With HCR it would make an almost complete circle . Keep in mind that the ONR buys (or leases) what the Ontario government says it can.

So....even if CN sells the line they will still be the operator of the train? How can they know that the buyer will agree to that?

What if the new buyer makes a condition to get rid of the train all together? They are the owners afterall.

I wonder if they will bring the non tourist train back as well.

It could be part of the sale agreement.

Perhaps. With HCR it would make an almost complete circle . Keep in mind that the ONR buys (or leases) what the Ontario government says it can.

I know that. If the government feels it is in the interest of the province, they will.

Back