Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I think you need a stop at Spadina or Bathurst to relieve the King Street W street cars. When I get on at Spadina and King, the street cars get really packed. Especially when it rains, its even worse. You might need to wait for 1-2 street cars before getting on. I feel like a sardine in a can during rush hours.

The Charlotte station is pretty much at Spadina/King. The Niagara station would be one block west of Bathurst at Tecumseth. I could hae just as easily named them Bathurst South or Spadina South.

I question the benefit to bring it down to the portlands which will be well served by a LRT network. I would bring it along Queen St and have a Queen/Broadview Stn

IIRC, the Broadview Streetcar is supposed to extended south along the Don Roadway. I see your point regarding the Streetcar network in the portlands, but I also feel Queen is too far north. If I were to move it, I'd put it at Eastern/Broadview.

As for the first phase stop, I would extend it to Keele. If you extract at Sunnyside, then how do you get past St Joe's for phase 2? Extract in High Park (SE corner of the park). Then cut and cover on the west side of the street (in High Park) all the way to Keele Stn.

This creates an added bonus of getting the west-end politicians on your side.

For a first stage, I wouldn't want to duplicate service with the Pearson-Downtown RER running every 10 minutes. Also, there are relatively few development opportunities between Keele and Sunnyside with the development potential of Howard Park being pretty much nil.

It would still make sense to extract the TBM in High Park given the requirement for tailing tracks and how close High Park would be to a station at Sunnyside.

We have a grid systems so as we add lines to the system we'll need repeated station names. I generally prefer street names to "neighbourhood" names, because it's easier to navigate and know where you are. If you're on the Eglinton line and are at Bathurst station you know where you are.

I would've preferred Osgoode be Queen West, St Andrew be King West, St Patrick -> Dundas West (even though it's a dupe of the Bloor station). I hate "Pioneer Village". However, I think I would be OK with Laird on the Eglinton line being called "Leaside", since Leaside is a genuinely well-known neighbourhood name and Laird seems less well known than Leaside.

I think it's OK as long as there isn't a duplicate on the same line, so you can identify by saying (Bathurst station on Bloor Line 2, vs Bathurst on Eglinton Line 5).

We have a grid systems so as we add lines to the system we'll need repeated station names. I generally prefer street names to "neighbourhood" names, because it's easier to navigate and know where you are. If you're on the Eglinton line and are at Bathurst station you know where you are.

I would've preferred Osgoode be Queen West, St Andrew be King West, St Patrick -> Dundas West (even though it's a dupe of the Bloor station). I hate "Pioneer Village". However, I think I would be OK with Laird on the Eglinton line being called "Leaside", since Leaside is a genuinely well-known neighbourhood name and Laird seems less well known than Leaside.

I think it's OK as long as there isn't a duplicate on the same line, so you can identify by saying (Bathurst station on Bloor Line 2, vs Bathurst on Eglinton Line 5).

I'm ok with it being a neighbourhood name if the neighbourhood is distinct and recognizable. For example, if the DRL uses a King or Wellington alignment there should probably be a "St. Lawrence" station somewhere between Jarvis and Sherbourne. I think that name is completely acceptable. Ditto for places like "Liberty Village" and "City Place".

I do agree that Pioneer Village is a terrible name though, as many people have no idea where that is.

I do agree that Pioneer Village is a terrible name though, as many people have no idea where that is.

Pioneer Village is a godawful name, though I suppose marginally better than the Black Creek Pioneer Village they were planning to name it. Still, what's wrong with Steeles West?

What was even worse was the proposal this past December to name Lawrence East station on the Line 2 extension through Scarborough as "Nelson Mandela Station". I absolutely respect Mandela as the leader that he was, but seriously, what does he have to do with a subway in Scarborough?

Pioneer Village is a godawful name, though I suppose marginally better than the Black Creek Pioneer Village they were planning to name it. Still, what's wrong with Steeles West?

What was even worse was the proposal this past December to name Lawrence East station on the Line 2 extension through Scarborough as "Nelson Mandela Station". I absolutely respect Mandela as the leader that he was, but seriously, what does he have to do with a subway in Scarborough?

"Vaughan metropolitan centre" is bad too. Why not just name it "Highway 7"? At least you know it's in Vaughan I guess. We can name plenty of things for Nelson Mandela, parks, schools, but if all more many stations are named after unrelated things, it becomes more difficult to figure out where the stations are.

I'm fine with multiple stations sharing a name.

And I also detest "Pioneer Village" station. Ugh.

I like the idea of having names like "Jarvis" and "Parliament" as subway station names though.

We'll have two Bathurst stations soon, with the one under construction on Eglinton. No reason not to have three, as long as they aren't on the same line. Keeps it simpler.

New Yorkers don't seem to mind having lots of duplicate station names.

I also detest Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. It's a mouthful and is only like that to give an ego boost. I would've preferred Vaughan Centre, or even better, no subways to Vaughan at all, and an AD2W GO Barrie Line with an infill station in Concord.

That's all a bit off topic however. I see nothing wrong with duplicating names. If we're going to see any new subway lines in our lifetime, it's almost certainly going to need to happen, and I think people will adjust quickly.

Back