Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Cross platform transfers are good, but clearly not having them doesn't really fundamentally change the positives of less cost, still much better transfers, and simpler construction? The only people who seem to seriously oppose going above ground are the Nimbys

Metrolinx who built a Leed Gold parking garage for 80 million in the middle of nowhere doesn't like spending more money than they need? What about the unnecessary tunneled link at Finch West?
Finch West is debatable, 3-storey transfers are ... non ideal.

"Not having transfers doesn't fundamentally change the positives of less cost and still much better transfers and simpler construction"

OK, well I could say that less cost doesn't change the positive of not having shitty transfers for all users?

Bloomington GO was certainly a waste of money.

Cross platform transfers are good, but clearly not having them doesn't really fundamentally change the positives of less cost, still much better transfers, and simpler construction? The only people who seem to seriously oppose going above ground are the Nimbys

You seemed to contradict yourself in the Crosstown LRT thread:

"This is the problem, just because the density decreases doesn't mean the speed and quality should decrease - quite the opposite - the low density areas are where you should have less stops so you can actually go fast and get to . . . the *dense* places. Nonetheless, both ends of our lovely surface tramway will be anchored with subway and / or regional rail interchanges - by making the connection between them slow a whole bunch of trips that people could have made (reducing travel time and improving their lives) won't be nearly as attractive. It's also really a lowest common denominator thing, this one section is going to drag on the whole line. That is the problem."

Speed, quality and (and in this case capacity) should not decrease here either.

You can't make this stuff up.
1637874593783.png

LOL. I commented on one of these facebook posts and was told that "almost every tree that surrounds the park will taken down so no the park wont be fine
😞
"

Do people actually believe this garbage?

I watched the Ontario Line Town Hall that just finished and one thing that caught my attention was Malcoms comment saying "The 3 contracts are going to run for around 9+ years". Did I hear that right?

The first contract wont be issued till Fall 2022 at the earliest so lets assume 9+ years means 10 years at the very minimum. Does that mean that the Ontario Line is projected to open 2032/33 instead of 2027 originally forecasted and then moved to 2030.

Source @ go to the 2:00:30 time mark

I watched the Ontario Line Town Hall that just finished and one thing that caught my attention was Malcoms comment saying "The 3 contracts are going to run for around 9+ years". Did I hear that right?
I'd assume from now. Probably says more about their process than the start date for each contract.

Shouldn't take as long as Eglinton subway, with stations and subway tunnel for Ontario line being done simultaneously - and in the same contract.

2027 was a political date. pretty sure the only person who believed that was ford himself. 2032 sounds about right

now consider that the RLS for sure would have been complete by 2030 😂
Are they doing this on purpose? For real - the contract execution for the southern section is Fall 2022, but it's Spring 2024 for the northern section. Considering that the maintenance facility is going to be built in the northern section (which is mostly above-grade), shouldn't they prioritize it? I'm very frustrated :mad:

2027 was a political date. pretty sure the only person who believed that was ford himself. 2032 sounds about right

now consider that the RLS for sure would have been complete by 2030 😂
Realistically the RLS was not going to be done until the early 2030s either so it balances out time wise however now we get to Eglinton in one shot which is gonna be critical as the density along eglinton lrt east section grows.

Are they doing this on purpose? For real - the contract execution for the southern section is Fall 2022, but it's Spring 2024 for the northern section. Considering that the maintenance facility is going to be built in the northern section (which is mostly above-grade), shouldn't they prioritize it? I'm very frustrated :mad:
The northern section is probably less complicated. No impacts to GO, more elevated, no streetcar disruption, and not being under downtown, will make it probably faster to build.

You seemed to contradict yourself in the Crosstown LRT thread:

"This is the problem, just because the density decreases doesn't mean the speed and quality should decrease - quite the opposite - the low density areas are where you should have less stops so you can actually go fast and get to . . . the *dense* places. Nonetheless, both ends of our lovely surface tramway will be anchored with subway and / or regional rail interchanges - by making the connection between them slow a whole bunch of trips that people could have made (reducing travel time and improving their lives) won't be nearly as attractive. It's also really a lowest common denominator thing, this one section is going to drag on the whole line. That is the problem."

Speed, quality and (and in this case capacity) should not decrease here either.
1. Capacity: The original post didn't even mention capacity. This is just putting words in others' mouths. The only things that should dictate capacity are demand and cost.
2. Speed: Please explain how a grade separated, above ground train is slower than a grade separated tunneled train. Is the Allen Rd section of YUS slower than the rest?
3. Quality: Again, please explain how a grade separated, above ground train is "lower quality" than an underground train.

Back