Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

As a counterpoint to some of the issues raised here:
1) The Ontario Place redevelopment has already been announced, and will maintain all of these existing parking lots, even though the OL will provide high-quality transit to the area.
Disappointing, isn't it?
2) While a rail yard might not be the ideal land use, its a lot better than huge parking lots which sit empty 99% of the time (and which we should strive to remove to shift people onto transit).
The Toronto Way.

I would think that prime waterfront land could be put it better use - high quality development (that could even be affordable).
3) Like I said in the original post, the rail yard could be decked over like the Hudson Yards if development was desired.
There is empty land and railway land in Thorncliffe Park, which is better than a rail decked area (see what happened to Rail Deck Park).

Hudson Yards was first built in 1851; that's definitely a legacy infra. LIRR uses it only to stop deadheading from the Long Island yards. If we are building 1 yard at either relocation, we are putting it at the ends of the line - deadheading will happen.

1) The Ontario Place redevelopment has already been announced, and will maintain all of these existing parking lots, even though the OL will provide high-quality transit to the area.
2) While a rail yard might not be the ideal land use, its a lot better than huge parking lots which sit empty 99% of the time (and which we should strive to remove to shift people onto transit).
3) Like I said in the original post, the rail yard could be decked over like the Hudson Yards if development was desired.

I don't consider parking lots as scenic recreational space - but I would rather see them left there, with the prospect that they might be replaced with something better some day, as opposed to building a transit yard which will become immovable - thereby foreclosing any better use of the CNE land, in an area where we ought to be setting the bar high and getting good people space, even if it takes forever.

- Paul

Of course. Of course they’ll keep the parking lots. We treat Ontario Place and Exhibition as if they’re in the middle of Brampton, and not just a several minutes walk away from one of the densest urban cores on the continent.

The Toronto Way.

I would think that prime waterfront land could be put it better use - high quality development (that could even be affordable).
Hopefully one of Ford’s developer buddies will convince him to build something useful there.

But who am I kidding. It would probably be another CityPlace, rather than anything of quality 🙃

Of course. Of course they’ll keep the parking lots. We treat Ontario Place and Exhibition as if they’re in the middle of Brampton, and not just a several minutes walk away from one of the densest urban cores on the continent.
More people would come to Ontario Place and Exhibition Place using public transit. However, by keeping the asphalt deserts, AKA.parking lots, downgrades both venues by having a safari to reach them.

toon945+camel+parking.jpg
From link.

camelot-camelid-parking.jpg
From link.

RMtransit talks with the ontario line project expert guy. the one that shows up in the virtual town halls
Something interesting about the video, so according to Malcolm, they project that even with the current buildout, the Ontario Line will have enough capacity even with all of the increased demand for the next 60 years.

I don't believe that's totally true. I know Exhibition is planning to kibosh most of it's lots relatively soon, but they do still need staging areas to put the CNE on.

The Ontario Place lots do appear to be staying though, yea.

I don't believe that's totally true. I know Exhibition is planning to kibosh most of it's lots relatively soon, but they do still need staging areas to put the CNE on.

The Ontario Place lots do appear to be staying though, yea.
Based on the numbers who use the parking lots versus public transit, since more use public transit, the parking lots can be shoved to out of sight or removed, giving more priority to walk-ins from the streetcars, buses, GO and soon Line 3 Ontario.

The CNE staging areas for games, rides, and concession stands should be made more presentable, instead of having exposed concrete supports, electrical cables and connections, and barriers.

Which brings us back to why Greenwood Yard was the correct choice; but that requires the new Line 2 Yard at Obico to be operational first; and functions best if the O/L uses TTC gauge (saves time and money on redoing all the trackwork at Greenwood, and preserves the connection to Line 2)

I really think the idea of doing this is oversold, using Greenwood raises at least as many issues as it solves, such as site layout, replacement, connection to the yard and on and on.

Something interesting about the video, so according to Malcolm, they project that even with the current buildout, the Ontario Line will have enough capacity even with all of the increased demand for the next 60 years.
The pessimist in me suspects that won't happen... but sure, if that's what their evidence suggests! 🤞
I'm glad he didn't say something like "or I'll eat my hat" because they're not very delicious....

The pessimist in me suspects that won't happen... but sure, if that's what their evidence suggests! 🤞
I'm glad he didn't say something like "or I'll eat my hat" because they're not very delicious....
Worst case scenerio, we have capacity for only 30 years, which means we have political power to build another Relief Line, which is only a good thing everyone.

Worst case scenerio, we have capacity for only 30 years, which means we have political power to build another Relief Line, which is only a good thing everyone.
There seems to be more recent confirmations that they are still protecting for 100m trains, which confirms the possibility of ~30,000 PPHD provided the 90 second frequency can be achieved (which as this is a new construction line specifically designed to achieve it, I assume it will be).

Should be more than enough for a generation or two of growth on the line.

By then, they'll ban all single-occupant motor vehicles south of Bloor and Danforth. That would allow the streetcars to run without being blocked by the automobile (allowing only delivery trucks, which will be the only vehicles to park in the curb lane).

Folks here may have already noticed by this post by @Steve Munro shows the Joint Corridor construction phasing.

Images from Steve's post where he took the time to freeze a video by Metrolinx [the preview looks like the link is duplicated but this opens the pictures directly]

Back