Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

It's interesting that previously the mosque was an important point about why the MSF shouldn't be in the current selected site. It was in every argument for moving the site.
Mosque officials are actually completely on-side and sued the NIMBYs to stop using their name and its only mentioned in a small part at the end of the article because it doesn't fit with the 'locals good - Ford government bad' theme of the Star.
Not commenting on Metrolinx itself {we all know that community outreach is mostly a gong show} or the Ford government. Looking at the narrative only.

Does the rail yard need to be near the end of the line? I don't even know anywhere along the OL where they could find a plot of land big enough for this? (Maybe down by the Gardiner?)

Does the rail yard need to be near the end of the line? I don't even know anywhere along the OL where they could find a plot of land big enough for this? (Maybe down by the Gardiner?)
This general area is the only place to put the MSF with current configuration of the line. I'd favor putting it north of Eglinton and provide a better routing of the line but the line is not going that far.

This general area is the only place to put the MSF with current configuration of the line. I'd favor putting it north of Eglinton and provide a better routing of the line but the line is not going that far.

Which brings us back to why Greenwood Yard was the correct choice; but that requires the new Line 2 Yard at Obico to be operational first; and functions best if the O/L uses TTC gauge (saves time and money on redoing all the trackwork at Greenwood, and preserves the connection to Line 2)

(Noting that you could have built above a yard - wouldn't need to be a single storey!)

While this is true; and I haven't see the tables for this area recently, I strongly suspect the watertable would pose some issues here, if you wanted a train yard below grade.

Lakeshore here floods periodically, and its on the surface.

Anything powered by 3rd rail, water infiltration would be a material issue.

It could be addressed, of course, all it takes is money.

Why didn't they consider the Ex/Ontario Place empty parking lot space for the OMSF? Already provincially/municipally owned, located right at the Exhibition terminus, and similar size to the planned OMSF in Thorncliffe. Maybe ruins some development opportunity but could go for a Hudson Yards decking over approach if that was planned..

View attachment 351689

A train yard is not my first choice for this *particular* site, but it would probably still be better looking than Hotel X.

I have seen questions on some of Metrolinx's Q&A that I already know the answer to, that have already been answered weeks or months ago. Seem to be mostly people who only just "discovered" that they are building something or anything, to their surprise. There should be an archive available where people could be directed to search for answers that already been answered.
We see LOTS of that here on UT - threads are filled with questions that have already been answered, often only a page back! - but it's human nature to only be interested in something when you are interested in it!

Why didn't they consider the Ex/Ontario Place empty parking lot space for the OMSF? Already provincially/municipally owned, located right at the Exhibition terminus, and similar size to the planned OMSF in Thorncliffe. Maybe ruins some development opportunity but could go for a Hudson Yards decking over approach if that was planned..

View attachment 351689
We already have a sugar factory, grain storage, elevated highway, rail lines, and Daniels condos on or close to our waterfront. Let's not have more of these here.

While this is true; and I haven't see the tables for this area recently, I strongly suspect the watertable would pose some issues here, if you wanted a train yard below grade.

Lakeshore here floods periodically, and its on the surface.

Anything powered by 3rd rail, water infiltration would be a material issue.

It could be addressed, of course, all it takes is money.
Who says that the yard has to be fully underground?
It could be at ground level (or partially submerged to better blend in), with the yard essentially being a single storey structure with the general surroundings even being raised to make the roof of the yard level with the ground.
While the streets intersecting with Lakeshore Blvd may need to be regraded/realigned to intersect at an appropriate angle, but it would be somewhat less disruptive since there’s no community to protest against the yard unless Parkdale residents somehow wants to get involved.

It could be at ground level (or partially submerged to better blend in), with the yard essentially being a single storey structure with the general surroundings even being raised to make the roof of the yard level with the ground.
While the streets intersecting with Lakeshore Blvd may need to be regraded/realigned to intersect at an appropriate angle, but it would be somewhat less disruptive since there’s no community to protest against the yard unless Parkdale residents somehow wants to get involved.
This would still be extremely expensive compared to the current plan. And there is no way this government dumps a ton of money into an expensive rail yard.

I don't really think the city would allow for the exabition grounds to be turned into a yard for the Ontario line as it's completely owned by them. Also the parking lots area used when their are events on at the various buildings.

Not me.

Sure; anything can be done with enough money, as I indicated.

Back