Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Via a comment posted on Facebook:

"Received feedback this afternoon from a Metrolinx representative regarding the conspicuous omission of references to pedestrian/cycling infrastructure on this new link across the Lower Don:

"We originally considered integrating the multi-use trail with the Ontario Line bridges, but with only one Ontario Line bridge on the north side, we're able to build a dedicated bridge that allows for pedestrians, cyclists and other forms of active transportation, separate from the Ontario Line bridge. This work won’t be part of the early works construction scope and is therefore not included in the report

Phew! But also, Mx can be sure the local area will be keeping sharp tabs on this one going forward. That connection will be vital to us in this corner of town."."own.
Classic Metrolinx. The omission of information gets people worried that plans have changed/parts dropped. Open and honest communication would help them a long way...

Good to hear the bridge is still planned.

Classic Metrolinx. The omission of information gets people worried that plans have changed/parts dropped. Open and honest communication would help them a long way...

Good to hear the bridge is still planned.

This unfortunately makes it way easier to cancel the pedestrian bridge though, because its not structurally integrated into the Ontario Line one.... so that kinda sucks.

What is the current timeline for this project? Seeing the Scarborough extension break ground made me wonder what the current progress is for this project as well.

What is the current timeline for this project? Seeing the Scarborough extension break ground made me wonder what the current progress is for this project as well.
I think they originally said 2027 but that basically seems impossible. I'm assuming the new target will be 2030, with actual opening date in 2031 or 2032. I believe early works have already begun at Exhibition Place.

Exhibition Early Works aren't supposed to start until September, but it will mark a start of construction.

I believe the Lakeshore east contract will be initiated in 2022 for early works along the rail corridor, with the full southern stations contract starting in 2023.

From the above link:

1624565873791.png

1624565908318.png

1624565932575.png

1624565955133.png

1624565977525.png

1624566009083.png

^ So I guess with that last imagine the portal will start to the north of the station platform and be on a curve. Totally possible of course but I guess I'm just used to mostly seeing them be linear.

@Steve Munro 's latest post on a topic that's been discussed here. He spoke with the Metrolinx team:

^ So I guess with that last imagine the portal will start to the north of the station platform and be on a curve. Totally possible of course but I guess I'm just used to mostly seeing them be linear.

The portal between Kipling and Islington is curved, ditto Main and Vic Park.

AoD

@Steve Munro 's latest post on a topic that's been discussed here. He spoke with the Metrolinx team:

I found this the most interesting actually. The TTC is protecting an extension of the Dundas Streetcar to Gerrard Stn via Dundas and Carlaw St.

1624571156376.png

Attachments

• 1624571156142.png
    1624571156142.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 118

Interesting that the TTC is considering routing the Dundas streetcar to the new Gerrard station. That makes a ton of sense.

Further to new info being gleaned here.............:

1624571896512.png

That's a considerable added cost in scope that was not in the original proposal.

As to the idea of the Dundas Car to Gerrard Station.....from a POV of meeting the needs of riders of that route, the benefit is probably low; the benefit for the TTC is alleviating overcrowding at Broadview Station.
I expect that there has been at least some, back-of-the envelope consideration to how Broadview would function with yet another route (Broadview extension demands its own streetcar route); and a possible connection to service on Cherry.
I've talked w/some knowledgeable people and the general consensus is that 'fixing' Broadview would not be cheap. It wouldn't be Bloor-Yonge expensive, but it could well involve partial reconstruction of the station.
Shifting Dundas to a new routing might represent a cost savings by reducing the scale of such work, deferring such work, or possibly eliminating it all together.

Of note, there is a trunk sewer under Carlaw and that might impact on construction of new track work.
I think any connection via Carlaw would all but ensure connecting track to Queen were also built for redundancy.

Back