Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

You're right. A 1.6M increase in the transparent sound barrier will create a shadow.

ekoglass_big.jpg
From link.

I don't believe we've seen a design spec on the sound barrier proposed for the LSE.

But I've never seen Mx use this particular design.

They did attempt some transparency along the Weston Corridor in the Junction area; I'm not sure they were happy w/the result.

The most recent sound barriers that went up in the Stouffville corridor were not transparent.

That said, even this type of barrier does cast a shadow, albeit it, one through which much light does pass.

Model used in the Junction:

1624372593658.png

I know there are some shots, probably by Drum of the barriers in use on the Stouffville Corridor, but I must get some work done atm.

Last edited:
The local group opposing the above-ground portion in Toronto Danforth us trying to fundraise $20k for this.

Save Jimmie Simpson is partnering with the South Riverdale Community Health Centre to commission a Health Impact Assessment (HIA). This study is being conducted by Ronald Macfarlane, a renowned environmental health expert. During his 20-year tenure at Toronto Public Health, Ronald has authored numerous public health publications and led a number of HIAs.

The HIA will explore public health risks that may be associated with the above ground vs. underground Ontario Line, which Metrolinx refuses to even consider. This study is significant as it will present evidence that policymakers cannot dismiss, plus fill the gaps in Metrolinx’s totally inadequate environmental assessment. We hope to complete the HIA well before the ‘early works’ construction so that its findings may be reflected in the final Ontario Line design.

In order to pay for this vital study, we have launched a GoFundMe campaign. Our group has managed to do a lot of excellent community education and advocacy using the time and expertise of its volunteer members, but we now need our friends and neighbours to assist us financially in this David vs. Goliath battle.

The money we raise will help pay for:
- Costs of the HIA
- Any additional quantitative work required (namely, noise and vibration studies either substandard or entirely missing from Metrolinx’s environmental assessment)
- Public and policymaker education once the HIA is completed
- Communicating the results to build public awareness and pressure Metrolinx to take our concerns seriously.

Because we are an advocacy organization that takes political stands, we are unable to access charitable donations. If there are excess funds at the end of our campaign, we will donate them to local community services such as Ralph Thornton Community Centre and South Riverdale Community Health Centre.

You can make a donation here: https://ca.gofundme.com/f/Ontarioline.

GoFundMe suggests a 12.5% tip to the platform, but this is not necessary. Thank you in advance for your support!

... I still dont get the point on a landmark bridge for the lower don but for the don valley - where there is a host of landmark bridges they are sticking to a very plain boring design with a ton of possibly disruptive pillars. Give us a cable stay ...

... I still dont get the point on a landmark bridge for the lower don but for the don valley - where there is a host of landmark bridges they are sticking to a very plain boring design with a ton of possibly disruptive pillars. Give us a cable stay ...
A cable stayed bridge could yield ice bombs in Toronto's climate.

Not sure why we really need a cable stayed bridge if we don't require a long central span - you can have something classy and simple like San Giorgio bridge in Genoa:

The issue here is whether Metrolinx is willing to put the effort into producing a bridge with such level of care and attention to details. Based on the proposed lower Don bridge, I'd say it ain't there yet - what's been proposed looks banal.

AoD

I really hope the Ontario Line gets built.
Although people may disagree on specifics regarding height, station entrances, or stations themselves, I think we can all agree that getting it built is a HUGE priority and it needs to start as soon as possible. The rest can be solved later with sound barriers, compensation, renovations, etc. but the main line needs to be done by the 2030 deadline.

RER Was never expected to be done that early even at project outset and even the original completion date (2025) hasn't been the goal for years now.

I thought at RER's outset (2014) it was supposed to be 10yrs. And since it's not one project, and LSE/LSW would naturally be one of the first, it was perhaps less than that. Then early Big Move stuff 15yrs for at least Lake Shore electrification (so 2023).

How long does this thing take, it's fully funded lol.

It was 10 years from project outset in 2015, so 2025. It was considered aggressive back then and was pushed to 2028 by the end of the Liberals term, then the PCs removed a formal completion date entirely and rebranded it to "GO Expansion" instead of RER. My understanding is that the original scope of work identified in 2015 will be largely complete by 2029 or so now.

Via a comment posted on Facebook:

"Received feedback this afternoon from a Metrolinx representative regarding the conspicuous omission of references to pedestrian/cycling infrastructure on this new link across the Lower Don:

"We originally considered integrating the multi-use trail with the Ontario Line bridges, but with only one Ontario Line bridge on the north side, we're able to build a dedicated bridge that allows for pedestrians, cyclists and other forms of active transportation, separate from the Ontario Line bridge. This work won’t be part of the early works construction scope and is therefore not included in the report

Phew! But also, Mx can be sure the local area will be keeping sharp tabs on this one going forward. That connection will be vital to us in this corner of town."."own.

Back