Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

i find that news release interesting as in the webinars the OL planners were definitely not aware of this as they specifically said "they dont have plans" for buildings above the king/bathurst and spdaina/queen stations

maybe because metrolinx isnt involved at all with the TOD plans?

Nice render - cars seem to have exclusive use of the bike lane and the cyclist is banished to the main road with regular traffic.

The guy in the online meeting said it would be the site of a substation.
Because Spadina doesn’t have bike lanes and that is actually curb side parking.

It's indeed exciting to see some new station renderings. I would like to see better integration with the historic structure at the base, though I realize that may be challenging with these particular buildings.

Guess where new noise complaints about the Major League Soccer, Toronto Indy, CNE, air show, etc., will come from?

New condos built after 2011 downtown have strict noise abatement rules, including triple pane windows. Hopefully wont be an issue and its ludicrous that it took until 2011 for such rules to exist.

Article in the Star today but it's probably behind a paywall (you might be able to view it if they allow you to view one free article per month or something):

i find that news release interesting as in the webinars the OL planners were definitely not aware of this as they specifically said "they dont have plans" for buildings above the king/bathurst and spdaina/queen stations

maybe because metrolinx isnt involved at all with the TOD plans?

If there is already a project in progress for a station site, I can see including those renders.

But for sites where there is not a project in progress, why is Metrolinx proposing towers? Is this a way to generate money and/or go around local planning?

They are proposing basically a long east-west wall north of the Ex, completely putting the area north of there in shade.

If there is already a project in progress for a station site, I can see including those renders.

But for sites where there is not a project in progress, why is Metrolinx proposing towers? Is this a way to generate money and/or go around local planning?

They are proposing basically a long east-west wall north of the Ex, completely putting the area north of there in shade.

Towers are cost-effective in Toronto given the cost of land. Shade isn't a new invention. Towers have been around for more than a century and shade hasn't been a big issue until some people decided that their front lawn deserves sunlight more than people deserve housing.

Building on top of stations and on construction lands helps subsidize the construction of the infrastructure. It also provides a new revenue stream for the agency/city building them.

Last edited:
The area to the north of the Ex station is mainly commercial anyways - you have to get to East Liberty St. for any substantial existing residential areas. In terms of the scale of the developments portrayed - they don't seem to be that out of line from what we can expect in the area. It looks fine broadly speaking.

AoD

Last edited:
The area to the north of the Ex station is mainly commercial anyways - you have to get to East Liberty St. for any substantial existing residential areas. In terms of the scale of the developments portrayed - they don't seem to be that out of line from what we can expect in the area. It looks fine broadly speaking.
West of Hanna sure. But there's a lot of residential right up to the near the platform east of there. And I expect there'll be more redevelopment over time.

It's too bad Metrolinx isn't looking at lowering the rail corridor (like they did for the Strachan level crossing on the rail corridor to the north) between Dufferin and Strachan for Exhibition Station. To avoid disruption during construction, they could shift the corridor slightly to the north into the area set aside for the new east/west road in south Liberty Village and put the new road above it. It would be a great opportunity to integrate OP into the city.

Back