Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I imagine the businesses are happy to get a big cheque and a relocation, as others have pointed out, they'd like be out after the line was developed and be dealing with construction right next door for years otherwise. There is a narrative painted by the Star here, it doesn't necessarily reflect reality. Imagine who would be upset if a much larger employer in the area was removed to build the yard, the complaints would be about taking jobs away from people.

Btw, Iqbal Halal Foods is renting the space and does not receive any money from land sales. They only found about the expropriation when the yark location was announced.

Btw, Iqbal Halal Foods is renting the space and does not receive any money from land sales. They only found about the expropriation when the yark location was announced.
listening to the live meetings that were held i got the impression Metrolinx was talking to tenants as well not just the landowners, so I believe they are getting assistance in relocation as well, and were informed around the same time as the actual landowners.

If the landlord breaches their contract, which they will be as commercial leases are typically measured in decades, then the tenant will receive non-trivial support to relocate and be made whole. The landlord will pass along those tenant relocation costs to Metrolinx as part of the expropriation process.

Last edited:

given how the last ones went I find it funny theyre starting from the exhibition side then going to the leslie and thorncliffe

• Thursday, June 10 – West segment: Exhibition, King/Bathurst, Queen/Spadina
  • Thursday, June 17 – Downtown segment: Osgoode, Queen, Moss Park, Corktown
  • Thursday, June 24 – East segment: East Harbour, Leslieville/Riverside, Gerrard
  • Wednesday, June 30 – North segment: Pape, Cosburn, Thorncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park, Science Centre

given how the last ones went I find it funny theyre starting from the exhibition side then going to the leslie and thorncliffe

• Thursday, June 24 – East segment: East Harbour, Leslieville/Riverside, Gerrard
  • Wednesday, June 30 – North segment: Pape, Cosburn, Thorncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park, Science Centre
Start with the segments with the least controversy and work your way upwards.

They always done it in this order

It includes a reference to "the green line".

Myth: Running the Ontario Line above ground means widening the rail corridor and extending far into parks and other important neighbourhood spaces.

Fact: It won’t. The green line someone painted in the community to represent the new corridor boundary is incorrect. [answer continues in the link above]

I imagine the businesses are happy to get a big cheque and a relocation, as others have pointed out, they'd like be out after the line was developed and be dealing with construction right next door for years otherwise. There is a narrative painted by the Star here, it doesn't necessarily reflect reality. Imagine who would be upset if a much larger employer in the area was removed to build the yard, the complaints would be about taking jobs away from people.

If you're imagining then your view doesn't necessarily reflect reality either.

The Star article was fair, given the sources.

What are your sources?

And again, this does not absolve Metrolinx in any way for not consulting with the community. Helping businesses relocate is the bare minimum.

I give them credit, they're great at recycling content.

Here's an example of dual gauge. TTC gauge and standard gauge.

From link.
In this shot, courtesy the Toronto Archives, we see the dual gauge of the TTC's LAKE SIMCOE operations through the town of Aurora. This shot is of Yonge Street, looking south, on September 28, 1927.
ttc-aurora-trackage-1928.jpg

Here's an example of dual gauge. TTC gauge and standard gauge.
The historical documents I've looked at do confirm one is Toronto gauge and the other is standard gauge.

But that would mean that from the centre of the outside rail, there's only 3 cm to the centre of the inside rail. I'm not sure if it's an illusion or not - but in the photo that looks wider than that. Though the rails themselves almost look narrower than normal. What do they use now - about 100 lb rail - head width of about 2.75 in? About 7 cm wide

I could be wrong, but I don't think the tracks gauges are one inside the other. I think each gauge uses a common rail on the outside, and the standard/TTC gauge is based on the distance to which of the pair on the other side they use.

Now, why this configuration is using four rails instead of three, I'm not sure. But if I were laying rail for two separate gauges on the same corridor I'd try to cut my costs by only using three rails.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the tracks gauges are one inside the other. I think each gauge uses a common rail on the outside, and the standard/TTC gauge is based on the distance to which of the pair on the other side they use.

Now, why this configuration is using four rails instead of three, I'm not sure. But if I were laying rail for two separate gauges on the same corridor I'd try to cut my costs by only using three rails.
The gauges are too similar for a common rail; the same issue actually exists with Russian and standard gauge, though in mainline terms you can get clever with 4 rail and get a third narrow gauge out of it (which could actually be relevant if anyone ever starts tying together the African networks).

Back