Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Typical of metrolinx to announce something and include no info whatsoever.
"Today we announce that the maintenance facility for the Ontario Line will be located in Ontario. If you have feedback, please send us an email or come to our consultation."

Last edited:
The history of the Ottawa LRT will explain that.

When Phase 1 was designed, the intent was that the LRT would enter at grade sections in the phase 2 portions in the suburbs. They changed their minds when it came to actually design Phase 2 however and maintained a fully grade separated system, effectively making it a light metro. Hindsight is 20/20 and they likely would have gone with light metro technology like ICTS or similar had they known they would maintain 100% grade separation, but alas.
This is probably a bit pedantic but it does go a bit deeper than that. Initially they wanted the downtown section to be at grade similar to iON, but then they found the extra money to tunnel it. The initial plan for Phase 1 was Lincoln Fields to Blair, and to have it run at grade on SJAM, but the local development firm was opposed to the at grade LRT, so that section had to be put on hold. By the time this happened designs were already under way, and by the time they decided to grade separate the section on lincoln fields, it was already too late to change the LRV types so Ottawa is stuck with it now. Honestly thank god for the Byron tunnel, makes a lot more sense to run it where there is actual development instead of a highway lite.

It is very interesting the heart and soul of Thorncliffe Park will get expropriate including Iqbal Foods which is the largest South Asian cultural grocery store that every South Asian from the area and from far visit. Also seems as though the mosque "Masjid Darussalam" is getting expropriated which will send shockwaves in the muslim community in the area.

With that being said East York Town Centre is in a ripe position for a developer to take over and construct 20-25 condos on lol.

I am supportive of the MSF location as long as they address the community concerns.

ol_-_msf_future_buildings_0.jpeg

It is very interesting the heart and soul of Thorncliffe Park will get expropriate including Iqbal Foods which is the largest South Asian cultural grocery store that every South Asian from the area and from far visit. Also seems as though the mosque "Masjid Darussalam" is getting expropriated which will send shockwaves in the muslim community in the area.

With that being said East York Town Centre is in a ripe position for a developer to take over and construct 20-25 condos on lol.

I am supportive of the MSF location as long as they address the community concerns.

View attachment 311390
Huh? How'd you find the pic?

Edit: Found it on the engage page. https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/ontario-line-neighbourhood-updates-north

Last edited:
If you press the below link and the press "Maintenance & Storage Facility". You will see the image. Also interesting to note it says construction on the MSF will start 2023.

If you press the below link and the press "Maintenance & Storage Facility". You will see the image. Also interesting to note it says construction on the MSF will start 2023.

It felt like a waste of a site so close to the station. Just a quick eyeballing of the site also seem to suggest a rather small and hemmed-in train storage area.

AoD

View attachment 311390

Quick side by side at relatively the same scale. If someone can do a more precise version or an overlay I'm sure it would be better than the image below.

1617907402348.png

View attachment 311390
Oh no... I really don't want to sound like a nimby. But if this happens. This'll completely wipe out a significant chunk of northern Thorncliffe. The community will be losing many loved businesses. Including Iqbal Foods, a hugely important south asian grocery store, two important mosques a few restaurants and dozens of small businesses at this strip of Thorncliffe Park. I will be fighting to find an alternative solution for my community.

Back