Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

So as far as ive heard there was a deal between the city and the province for the province to give back the land to the city for a libray or something once the Ontario line was complete. guess Metrolinx must have changed their minds and need full control of the area.
This is the area in question View attachment 295321

Are they referring to this site that was in the Toronto Star today??

Really? The current routing alignment and station alignment is better compared to the previous iteration prior to the September/October updates.
Not north of O'Connor, where they made the biggest changes. The other tweaks were relatively minor.

Are they referring to this site that was in the Toronto Star today??

This is without question one of the most historical sites in Canada. Period. I want to hear how the Province plans to deal with the historical artifacts on the site, and how they plan to utilize the site after construction is complete. Using this as the site for transportation facilities, without any regard for its historical nature, is an unacceptable solution.

This is without question one of the most historical sites in Canada. Period. I want to hear how the Province plans to deal with the historical artifacts on the site, and how they plan to utilize the site after construction is complete. Using this as the site for transportation facilities, without any regard for its historical nature, is an unacceptable solution.
What are you expecting they'll find? A 200 year old rotting piece of wood they'll deem historically part of the old parliament? Surely they'll have to dig it up. If they do find a buried building or tools, sure they should carefully examine it. If nothing comes up, they should just do business as usual. We don't have Romans conquering this land from 2000 years ago.

Toronto in 1827...

NMC16819.jpg

From link. (Lot Street is today's Queen Street.) All those streams are now sewers or just filled in with garbage and fill.

1827, but Ontario would be the "parent" of Toronto (incorporated 1834) when Ontario is created in 1867.

Last edited:
If it is so significant, why is it not federally managed?

honestly its just a piece of land. There are no standing buildings that is directly linked to the first parliament. Even this Dominion building is too contaminated to properly restore. If they do find significant artifacts during the dig, fine, analyze preserve and move on. On one hand the city is crying for more affordable housing, and on the other they are whining that the scrap land that will be used to build affordable housing is too historical to dig up. We cant let much needed progress to transit be halted by every single old building or land

whining that the scrap land that will be used to build affordable housing is too historical to dig up
It's not like this land is the only piece of land left for affordable housing and we've run out of options. You could:

• Intensify along avenues
  • Intensify the yellowbelt
I'd rather this land be turned into a historical site. Yes, there's probably not a lot of artifacts there, but it is part of our history as a country.

honestly its just a piece of land. There are no standing buildings that is directly linked to the first parliament. Even this Dominion building is too contaminated to properly restore. If they do find significant artifacts during the dig, fine, analyze preserve and move on. On one hand the city is crying for more affordable housing, and on the other they are whining that the scrap land that will be used to build affordable housing is too historical to dig up. We cant let much needed progress to transit be halted by every single old building or land

On what basis do you draw those conclusions about the Foundry? Citations please.

As for the balance of your post, as is pointed out by @allengeorge the City does not lack for places to build affordable housing, it lacks funds and will.

But the proposal for the Foundry site includes only a small portion of affordable housing, with the balance being market.

Further, nothing would preclude building affordable housing on the site while substantially preserving said heritage.

I'm not sure why this has to be a black/white issue in your mind.

It's not like this land is the only piece of land left for affordable housing and we've run out of options. You could:

• Intensify along avenues
  • Intensify the yellowbelt
I'd rather this land be turned into a historical site. Yes, there's probably not a lot of artifacts there, but it is part of our history as a country.
And so will the gaudy 70s apartments in 20 years time. The question is, is it of historical value?
From the issued reports, no. At least not enough to set it aside like the old town hall. We cant go saving every piece of land just because its old. ]
If it were a cemetary thats another story but this is simply an old building that cant be restored due to severe contamination

If it is so significant, why is it not federally managed?

That is a strange question.

There a vast number of historically significant sites across Toronto, never mind Ontario or Canada that are not Federally managed.

I don't see why historical significance automatically requires federal intervention, that certainly has not been the standard employed in the past.

I can't say I see this as one of the most significant sites in Canada, that's a bit of a reach for me; but it certainly is significant.

Last edited:

Back