Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The start of winter is the solstice - which doesn't depend on the date. Winter then would start December 8 for those who haven't yet converted.

That was why we updated with the Gregorian calendar. The seasons were moving too far.

From link.

The pagan celebration of Saturn, the Roman god of agriculture and time, began as a single day, but by the late Republic (133-31 B.C.) it had expanded to a weeklong festival beginning December 17. (On the Julian calendar, which the Romans used at the time, the winter solstice fell on December 25.)

Please no perimeter seating for the Ontario Line. No plastic seating, please, prefer the fabric (could be different colours or patterns, though).

I can unfortunately see the use of pixel dots for signage in Toronto.

Longitudinal seating makes a ton of sense for Metros, given when this is meant to open I am sure we will get LCDs.

Longitudinal seating makes a ton of sense for Metros, given when this is meant to open I am sure we will get LCDs.
For short trips perhaps - not suitable for what is effectively a suburban commuter train.

What is long term plan for Ontario Line. Ends at Eglinton forever - probably a non-issue. Heads north to Richmond Hill and takes over the Richmond Hill line to Lincolnville? No ...

For short trips perhaps - not suitable for what is effectively a suburban commuter train.

What is long term plan for Ontario Line. Ends at Eglinton forever - probably a non-issue. Heads north to Richmond Hill and takes over the Richmond Hill line to Lincolnville? No ...
The New York City subway trains all also use longitudinal seating and many of their lines are long.

Yes, I personally prefer some perpendicular seating.

The New York City subway trains all also use longitudinal seating and many of their lines are long.
Indeed - and what many of our politicians referred to as "cattle cars" the last time TTC considered it.

I'm not sure MTA service and maintenance values are what we should be aiming for.

Indeed - and what many of our politicians referred to as "cattle cars" the last time TTC considered it.

I'm not sure MTA service and maintenance values are what we should be aiming for.

Why? They have a massive system and a higher ridership than the TTC.

And decaying infrastructure, rats everywhere, low service etc.
To be fair, things have slowly started to improve there, in terms of maintenance. Things looked a bit better last time I was there, and there was noticeably less smell of urine in spots it had been always there.

But in terms of operations - trains are so infrequent at times off-peak - and still packed full on weekends - despite the much lower frequency than weekdays. And the bus frequencies are disgraceful, despite being very full off-peak.

Have to give TTC and other Canadian systems credit on better maintenance.

REM is very much a hybrid of subway and commuter, much like the SkyTrain is.

REM is very much a hybrid of subway and commuter, much like the SkyTrain is.
Ah that's an interesting example. Despite the very narrow cars (just less than 2.5 metres - same as Line 3 and narrower than a Toronto streetcar and even a Montreal subway car), they've switched from perimeter seating to a lot of forward facing seating in new vehicles (and added walkways between the cars).

See the walkthrough in this video. Shame we won't be seeing these on an upgraded and extended Line 3.

Since Doug Ford is a non-transit user, expect narrow cars and perimeter seating, since he wouldn't be using it on a regular basis. Except for photo-ops of course.

These jokes are getting stale...

There is nothing stopping perimeter seating from being chosen by the bidders, especially when they try to compensate for smaller trains.

Ah that's an interesting example. Despite the very narrow cars (just less than 2.5 metres - same as Line 3 and narrower than a Toronto streetcar and even a Montreal subway car), they've switched from perimeter seating to a lot of forward facing seating in new vehicles (and added walkways between the cars).

See the walkthrough in this video. Shame we won't be seeing these on an upgraded and extended Line 3.

Space down the aisle is created with just the single seat on one side while still having a double seat on the other - like on buses.

In 2016, TransLink did a trial seat removal near the doors on Canada Line, but not sure what became of it. Note the seats are cantilevered from one side for easy underseat storage and cleaning (unlike low floor LRT)

Last edited:

Back