Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I have three big questions for the line before I can support it 100%:

1. Will an extension to Sheppard or Finch be in the works before the Ontario Line opens?
2. What future-proofing measures are in place to ensure that we aren't at maximum capacity on Day 1?
3. Will the above-ground routing interfere with future GO expansion plans for the Lakeshore East and Stouffville lines?

I have three big questions for the line before I can support it 100%:

1. Will an extension to Sheppard or Finch be in the works before the Ontario Line opens?
2. What future-proofing measures are in place to ensure that we aren't at maximum capacity on Day 1?
3. Will the above-ground routing interfere with future GO expansion plans for the Lakeshore East and Stouffville lines?
1. Most likely yes. At the very least, Metrolinx has confirmed that the end stations at Science Center and Exhibition will be designed with future extensions in mind. If I were a betting man, I would say that if Doug Ford gets a 2nd term, he would likely push for a "Toronto transportation plan Phase 2", which would include Ontario Line extensions as well as the Sheppard Subway Eastwards.

2. This is the big question that unfortunately can't be answered right now.

3. I'd imagine no. Metrolinx is already planning a 4th track on the LSE/Stouffville Corridor excluding the Ontario Line, so those 2 lines are likely set. If there is anything that the OL limits its probably Via HFR, since that would need its own tracks (however whether or not HFR will even happen is up in the air).

In regards to the noise aspect for leslieville and the flemington park / thorncliffe park area I respectfully disagree it should be of any concern. People around the world are dying due to starvation, don't have access to clean water, no health care, don't live in a democratic society and here we are complaining about noise. Cmon man. It is shameful that we are complaining about this.
This should also be said for all the ranting I see regularly on this site, whining about power lines, streetcar wires and all kinds of trivial stuff that most people rarely pay attention to anyway.

There is nothing wrong with complaining about noise - no one should be subjected to undue amounts of it - what it doesn't grant anyone is the right to dictate the line going underground. There are perfectly fine noise mitigation systems for above ground railway - up to and including enclosures at sensitive locations. The lack of information other than general feel good statements, "trust us" by the proponent makes good-faith discussion of improvements difficult if not impossible.

AoD

There is nothing wrong with complaining about noise - no one should be subjected to undue amounts of it - what it doesn't grant anyone is the right to dictate the line going underground. There are perfectly fine noise mitigation systems for above ground railway - up to and including enclosures at sensitive locations. The lack of information other than general feel good statements, "trust us" by the proponent makes good-faith discussion of improvements difficult if not impossible.

AoD

And that's the problem with the OL process. Instead of treating the community as partners to work with, they're being left in the dark like everyone else.

It makes it very easy to vilify those who have concerns.

This should also be said for all the ranting I see regularly on this site, whining about power lines, streetcar wires and all kinds of trivial stuff that most people rarely pay attention to anyway.

No kidding.

Why are people bitching about on-street LRTs when there are people starving all over the world?

With that kind of reasoning you can justify just about any project.

This conversation has been interesting to watch. Let's see what is to happen with the GO corridor, shall we?

1601406155353.png

1601406181908.png

1601406214173.png

1601406238223.png

1601406255594.png

1601406304581.png

1601406329783.png

1601406347541.png

Attachments

• 1601406155023.png
    1601406155023.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 234
Last edited:
.. is that only 150 meters between the East Harbour and Leslieville stops? .. and it seems 6 or so houses will have to be torn down.

This conversation has been interesting to watch. Let's see what is to happen with the GO corridor, shall we?

View attachment 273003

View attachment 273004

View attachment 273005

View attachment 273006

View attachment 273007

View attachment 273009

View attachment 273010

View attachment 273011

Well-intentioned but clumsy bridge design as presented - hopefully it will be improved (it doesn't compare well to the Humber Bay bridge at the moment).

AoD

Reactions: DSC
I guess if East Harbour takes off, there is going to be a lot of development pressure around there. I'm sure a lot of the properties in the area are protected...

Well-intentioned but clumsy bridge design as presented - hopefully it will be improved (it doesn't compare well to the Humber Bay bridge at the moment).

AoD
To be fair, it is an early rendering. And like you mentioned, the bridge rendering will hopefully improve as the design continues.

Back