Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I wouldn't expect to cross the Food Basics lot at grade. I'd think they'd elevate and just take a portion close to the road.

I should have said 'above grade'.

But I'll leave it as is so as not to confuse things!

In the Burquitlam example in my post, the landlord is Morguard and the plaza is slated for redevelopment.

I don't tend to have a high opinion of Morguard......

But that's neither here nor there.

We shall see how this all falls out!

I'm certainly no electrical engineer but there is a thing called 'capacitive coupling' where high voltage AC can induce energy on surrounding conductive infrastructure. It is likely fairly easily mitigated when that infrastructure intersects at something approaching perpendicular but might be a problem when they are parallel.

A thoughtful counterpoint.

The impact on the community garden would be (mostly) about light; the level of impact would depend on orientation relative to the sun and adjacent buildings.

Passing under a corridor directionally vs running under one would likely have a different risk profile but also a different impact in term of maintenance access.

That said, I accept that a short-run underneath, subject to clearance might get a pass.

Though, anyone who lived through negotiations btw Hydro and the City over parks uses...........might wonder.

Looking the current line level............I can't see going under working.

But yes, they could be moved; though that would likely mean new pylons.............that's not cheap:

View attachment 270139

As to redeveloping East York Town Centre (the landlord of Food Basics)

I certainly agree that's overdue for redevelopment and ripe for intensification.

However, the landowner knows that too.

I expect the price would be steep for crossing the land at grade.

Would have made a world of sense of the City or Province to buy this site before announcing the Ontario Line.........It has now surely doubled if not tripled (or more) in value.
Is a community garden worth a billion dollars for a tunnel? We have to keep things in perspective.

Is a community garden worth a billion dollars for a tunnel? We have to keep things in perspective.

Of course not; but the existing proposal is already an elevated alignment; this was an alternative elevated alignment.

There was no tunnel to compare with.

I would argue there are reasons to consider a tunnel preferable here; but I'm happy to have that conversation when we are dealing with a serious proposal.

Something that I can't say the Ontario Line is at this point.

It may be.

But there's precious little evidence to show for it.

I think the idea of the Ontario Line is great, and I'm wholly excited for it. But one part of me questions the value of it if GO Expansion goes ahead, given it generally offers the same service area, at least until Pape/Gerrard. Why not just expand the Richmond Hill line and include it in GO Expansion? You could have some cool stations in the Don Valley with some crazy elevators or something, all for probably 1/10th of what this will cost.
There are multiple problems with this idea. Metrolinx has quite bluntly stated that the Richmond Hill Line doesn't have a future in frequent regional rail and there are multiple reasons for it. First the routing. The fact that it goes through such an indirect route through Don Valley means it isn't fast. Top speeds are significantly smaller than usual, and that's even without considering the fact that there aren't as many stops. In fact its believed that when Yonge North happens, the Richmond Hill Line will be faster to get to Union, but by a small margin like 10 mins, which for a route with barely any stops versus a subway with frequent stops is embarrassing. Second, yes you could have some cool stations in the Don Valley with some crazy elevators or something, but why? You can build as many vertical elevators as you want, the fundamental problem is that you still won't end up anywhere. You wouldn't even be able to connect to other lines especially Line 2 because Castle Frank is quite some distance from the rail. Even if you had a gondala or an elevator, you're still asking for a 200m walk on top of a 5 minute long ride. Finally, its location in the don valley means building around the line is extremely difficult. Even ignoring more obvious issues such as grade separating the Doncaster Diamond, and getting some track on the sub from CN that they desperately do not want to give away, you're going to spend a huge amount of money, on what? The Richmond Hill Line simply won't ever function as a proper regional rail line.

This map from the Conditions Report shows the MSF site in black dashed outline.
There could be a shallow valley below the hydro lines to the west of Beth Nealson Dr.
so maybe the guideway could come down and follow the contours.

XsChJ8S.png

On the topographical map, there seems to be a short crossing distance next to the MSF yard where I've circled in red.
That would provide a shorter span bridge from the MSF yard area.

yzaf1Sv.png

Last edited:
1600446363679.png

Just a thought, it looks like the new Liberty Village street would be impossible to fit anymore unless the station is elevated high above the street.

View attachment 270228
Just a thought, it looks like the new Liberty Village street would be impossible to fit anymore unless the station is elevated high above the street.

I also suspect that this could complicate the city's plans to build a new street here.

1600449962124.png

Attachments

• 1600449887627.png
    1600449887627.png
    496.9 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: max
^ I was wondering about that street when I saw the latest design. Maybe they'll put the OL above it on pillars, similar to what they'll do in Thorncliffe?

View attachment 270228
I had a feeling that the Liberty New Street was dead as soon as they proposed an above grade station at Exhibition. The area is just too tight otherwise.

Also, where did you get that image?

I feel like a street there is kind of way less important than a rapid transit line.

However, I personally feel like the station for "Ontario Place" should be more south, into the Ex grounds.

Put a Liberty station at the end of Pirandello Ave and then tunnel and go south into Ex.

Just my 2 cents

The extension of the Railpath to Strachan depends on that street being built, so the station also blocks the Railpath extension.

If I had more time (and maybe I'll get to this), I would try to use Google Maps' satellite view to map out the lines on the track plan images that were released this week. The challenge is that the satellite view hasn't been updated in several months or years so it doesn't show the current view of Garrison Crossing/Ordinance Park. Any one know of a more updated satellite view than Google's? Anyone have an interest in doing this? :D

Back