Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

What bugs is that the EWLRT doesn't even have an airport connection.
It all depends on the progress of Union Station West at Pearson because Metrolinx is depending on that transit hub to bring the EWLRT line there. It's supposed to open in the early 2030s which is right around the time the extension is supposed to finish.

I wonder if they have a backup plan of bringing the extension to Terminals 1 and 3 directly instead, in case the transit hub doesn't work out or extend and upgrade the LINK train both directions as a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:
122 years for the DRL so far, with 2 cancellation for construction in building it so far. Maybe come 2040 we will see it built
What will come first?

The Ontario Line opening or the Leafs winning their first Stanley Cup since 1967 (especially with expansion teams after the Seattle Kraken that would mathematically lower the Leafs' chance of winning the Stanley Cup)?

If this line gets cancelled, then i’m officially giving up on the provincial government. By now there should’ve already been lines everywhere

Anyways i hope this isn’t the city’s only way to relief the yonge line. There’s so many other
ways it can work. Build a line along dufferin or bathurst or jarvis/mount pleasant and have it curve east to bayview or don mills all from downtown to the eglinton or sheppard line. Extend the spadina streetcar to the crosstown, so it can be a true lrt like line. Go rer is already doing well, but it helps less people in toronto

I wish they kept the Jane LRT on the books, but it seems they dropped it for a BRT.

Honestly, with the amount of tunneling that was required for this to be more than a glorified streetcar, BRT-lite seems a lot more reasonable in the short to medium term. At the same time, I feel like there is more to gain from a streetcar on Dufferin than Jane, and rapid transit near the 427 is more important strategically than either an only quasi rapid line on Dufferin or Jane, let alone a Jane subway.

Honestly, with the amount of tunneling that was required for this to be more than a glorified streetcar, BRT-lite seems a lot more reasonable in the short to medium term. At the same time, I feel like there is more to gain from a streetcar on Dufferin than Jane, and rapid transit near the 427 is more important strategically than either an only quasi rapid line on Dufferin or Jane, let alone a Jane subway.

Was the Jane LRT going to be tunneled?

Was the Jane LRT going to be tunneled?

Back in 2008. Then came the Ford Nation barbarians who vandalized the Transit City plans.

jane-stops-jpg.28173

From link.

That presentation doesn't touch on a couple other things that were floating around at the time; namely that the only feasible way to build the surface version was in mixed traffic, and that routing along rail corridors was being considered to avoid essentially building most of the line as a subway.

Please give some feedback as to the Ontario Line track slope and if I have it correct.

Depth / Slope of tracks ascending to surface OR descending to tunnel
  • Based on a discussion with a Metrolinx Engineer at the Open House Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - he confirmed that Ground zero would be the No Frills Grocery Store at Gerrard and Carlaw. He also confirmed the following
  • 25m - depth subway portion runs underground ( Below Grade )
  • 4 degree, 4 percent slope for the track
  • 25m / 0.04 = 625m for the sloped portion to reach Grade OR reach 25m depth
West Side Track that travels South - this will be the slope and depth looking north
  • 0m NoFrills Ground Zero, S side of NoFrills at the train tracks
  • 86m Tunnel starts i.e. no more daylight 3.4m BG Just SW of Carpet Mill front door
  • 214m Langley 8.6m Below Grade (BG)
  • 329m Riverdale 13m BG
  • 427m Withrow 17m BG
  • 525m Bain 21m BG
  • 607m Dingwall 24m BG
  • 625m 519 Pape 25m BG
Route to Surface
  • West Track - Travelling South, 86m from NoFrills, the tunnel will see daylight at 3.4m BG
    • Just SW of Carpet Mill
  • East Track - Traveling East along the Go Corridor, descending for 86m, the track will reach 3.4m and will no longer see daylight. This will allow it to turn NE and travel under the Go Corridor. The tunnel will continue N till it meets up with Pape at Langley
  • In an email and phone call with Metrolinx, they could not confirm the above and only said we would get the data once the RFQ’s were made public.

Nick Ontario Line, Surface - Underground transition, July 2020 Estimate.png

Please give some feedback as to the Ontario Line track slope and if I have it correct.

Depth / Slope of tracks ascending to surface OR descending to tunnel
  • Based on a discussion with a Metrolinx Engineer at the Open House Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - he confirmed that Ground zero would be the No Frills Grocery Store at Gerrard and Carlaw. He also confirmed the following
  • 25m - depth subway portion runs underground ( Below Grade )
  • 4 degree, 4 percent slope for the track
  • 25m / 0.04 = 625m for the sloped portion to reach Grade OR reach 25m depth
West Side Track that travels South - this will be the slope and depth looking north
  • 0m NoFrills Ground Zero, S side of NoFrills at the train tracks
  • 86m Tunnel starts i.e. no more daylight 3.4m BG Just SW of Carpet Mill front door
  • 214m Langley 8.6m Below Grade (BG)
  • 329m Riverdale 13m BG
  • 427m Withrow 17m BG
  • 525m Bain 21m BG
  • 607m Dingwall 24m BG
  • 625m 519 Pape 25m BG
Route to Surface
  • West Track - Travelling South, 86m from NoFrills, the tunnel will see daylight at 3.4m BG
    • Just SW of Carpet Mill
  • East Track - Traveling East along the Go Corridor, descending for 86m, the track will reach 3.4m and will no longer see daylight. This will allow it to turn NE and travel under the Go Corridor. The tunnel will continue N till it meets up with Pape at Langley
  • In an email and phone call with Metrolinx, they could not confirm the above and only said we would get the data once the RFQ’s were made public.

View attachment 261073
Do you have ideas for other portals?

Question: would the Queen streetcar be eliminated when the RL/OL is built? Or just get reduced service?

Back