Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Since we will likely have a shortage of construction workers going forward - perhaps we can have it as a citizenship pathway (vs. straight up foreign guest workers). It will do more to internalize their earnings in the Canadian economy (vs. remittance abroad).

AoD
what's wrong with temp foreign workers? It's been done everywhere else on this planet.

Why can't we bring in foreign workers?
We do. I am pretty sure Dragados brought in Portuguese workers for the Crosstown, and I am sure I have heard Portuguese spoken every now and then up here on Eglinton. (Though, Toronto being Toronto, you can never be too sure if they aren't just from Woodbridge, lol)

It's so frustrating how much the PCs talk about how we need to build new transit now while simultaneously delaying plans for new transit.
Ya, they mortgaged the timeline to buy Ontario Line and other priority projects ?

But, the bottom line -- RER is not cancelled, it's just re-branded and re-timelined. (aka "optimized", simultaneously better AND worse.)

Credit where credit due, it ain't Harris 1990s ?????

GO's still happening anyway

It is a serious concern that nobody talks about.
There's gonna have to be some priority given to the most important projects, such as the OL and Line 2 extension. Other projects like Eglinton West, SmartTrack and highway expansions should be put on hold if necessary.

We do. I am pretty sure Dragados brought in Portuguese workers for the Crosstown, and I am sure I have heard Portuguese spoken every now and then up here on Eglinton. (Though, Toronto being Toronto, you can never be too sure if they aren't just from Woodbridge, lol)

All of the Portuguese employees that I've seen and heard have been Canadian citizens - including a couple of family members.

For the record Dragados is a Spanish-based firm, so wouldn't it make more sense for them to bring in Spanish workers, if that was in fact what they're doing?

Dan

Since we will likely have a shortage of construction workers going forward - perhaps we can have it as a citizenship pathway (vs. straight up foreign guest workers). It will do more to internalize their earnings within the Canadian economy (vs. remittance abroad).

AoD

I think the issue is that even foreign workers are busy on projects elsewhere. (The article briefly mentions this as well) There seems to be a large expansion of transit happening throughout the world.

For the record Dragados is a Spanish-based firm, so wouldn't it make more sense for them to bring in Spanish workers, if that was in fact what they're doing?
Spanish-based yes, but they are heavily involved in Portugal, and for whatever reason Portuguese labourers are more known for traveling abroad for temp work in the construction industry.

Perhaps because Spain has no shortage of infrastructure projects?

More than one public sector agency maintains overview data on construction labour supply. I sat on one task force on the topic a decade ago - ironically, chaired by a senior IO exec. The data was not that reliable, because so many big projects had to be included in the outlook but the certainty and timing of upcoming projects was so uncertain. Toronto transit construction being a good example of projects that were supposedly “about to happen” but just kept getting delayed.
A lot of the province’s angst is no doubt because the potential bidders are the ones telling them that there may be labour shortages. The bidders are mostly international contractors who have access to international labour pools.
Translation: Sure, there are sources of skilled trades, but we have more appealing uses for them elsewhere in the world.

- Paul

A lot of the province’s angst is no doubt because the potential bidders are the ones telling them that there may be labour shortages. The bidders are mostly international contractors who have access to international labour pools.
Translation: Sure, there are sources of skilled trades, but we have more appealing uses for them elsewhere in the world.

- Paul
Another reason why cut-and-cover construction is important. The simpler we can make the construction, the easier it is to find the necessary labour and contractor.

Back