Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Don't trust the business case, Ottawa was supposed to have them too but they got value engineered out during the p3 bids to stay within the budget envelope.
This has already happened twice in Canada alone, if the Government of Ontario can't learn from the challenges with the Canada Line and the Confederation line, we will see this a lot more throughout Canada, not just on the Ontario line.

Last edited:
"Anne Marie Aikins, spokesperson for the provincial transit agency, wouldn't reveal how much the latest campaign costs, saying those details require a freedom of information request."

Oh for gods sake. THIS is when I get annoyed. Her statement amounts to a declaration that she knows it is information she is REQUIRED to disclose but won't anyway.

This is the kind of thing that should actually be taken as misconduct. Come to think of it, I'd like to revise freedom of information to have some means of punishing willful nondisclosure.

Last edited:
Metrolinx paying Instagram influencers to promote Ontario Line, prompting concerns ads are "premature"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...prompting-concern-ads-are-premature-1.5369895
Facebook (and Instagram by extension, because Zucks is greedy and knows that less than half of Instagrammers know that their platform of choice is owned by Facebook) should ban political advertising (and political advocacy advertising by extension). Twitter just banned political advertising ahead of the British elections (Twitter could have done it much sooner). The three have numerous problems with toxicity, especially when it comes to political discussions and political advertising in any form contribute to the filter bubble, which enforces confirmation bias, regardless of one's political views, leading to balkanization and toxicity when confronted with opposing views. How else are the three "free" for users?

Last edited:
Metrolinx paying Instagram influencers to promote Ontario Line, prompting concerns ads are "premature"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...prompting-concern-ads-are-premature-1.5369895
"Anne Marie Aikins, spokesperson for the provincial transit agency, wouldn't reveal how much the latest campaign costs, saying those details require a freedom of information request."

Hahaha, of course it does.
Oh for gods sake. THIS is when I get annoyed. Her statement amount to a declaration that she knows it is information she is REQUIRED to disclose but won't anyway.

This is the kind of thing that should actually be taken as misconduct. Come to think of it, I'd like to revise freedom of information to have some menas of punishing willful nondisclosure.

Apparantly Metrolinx took me calling them a glorified PR agency a bit too seriously

This should come as a surprise to nobody. Metrolinx has consistently shown that their number one prerogative is to make the government of the day look good. Whether that be through secretly canceling rapid transit expansion, hiding the fact that the Crosstown is over budget and behind schedule (not once, but twice!), covering up the mess at Presto and UPX, etc... Metrolinx is a bloated and totally unaccountable puppet of Queen’s Park

How is this legal?
Freedom of speech. Anyone can do the same if you wish or run an anti campaign against it.
I'm never a fan of politically ran advertisement, it just shows more talking than doing but how does all citizens know what the government is doing if they don't advertise? Not everyone reads the news.

Oh for gods sake. THIS is when I get annoyed. Her statement amount to a declaration that she knows it is information she is REQUIRED to disclose but won't anyway.

This is the kind of thing that should actually be taken as misconduct. Come to think of it, I'd like to revise freedom of information to have some menas of punishing willful nondisclosure.
There should be some sort of protection between the government and the public in case someone makes an honest mistake and overspent somewhere. That shouldn't be turn into a public outcry and let the media and organizations against the government to pick on little things.
Of course ML is not very good at transparency. If it's a small amount, they should disclose it when asked before the The Star obtains the cost a few months later and have the story blow up.

Freedom of speech. Anyone can do the same if you wish or run an anti campaign against it.
I'm never a fan of politically ran advertisement, it just shows more talking than doing but how does all citizens know what the government is doing if they don't advertise? Not everyone reads the news.

There should be some sort of protection between the government and the public in case someone makes an honest mistake and overspent somewhere. That shouldn't be turn into a public outcry and let the media and organizations against the government to pick on little things.
Of course ML is not very good at transparency. If it's a small amount, they should disclose it when asked before the The Star obtains the cost a few months later and have the story blow up.
Come on. This isn’t an honest mistake. This is Metrolinx’s whole modus operandi.

Freedom of speech applies to everyday citizens, not members of the government. It's still a government's job to protect the interests of ALL members it serves. Politics, whether people like it or not, is a profession, and like any profession (whether it be politics, medicine, engineering, or law), there are many cases that exempt you from a free speech clause. Metrolinx is a crown corporation and should be considered an extension of QP. The fact that Metrolinx is pursuing OL advertising (regardless of it's on IG) with taxpayer funds is:
1) A huge conflict of interest, which should be enough of a reason for it being illegal
2) Unethical — indirectly spears political opponents and influences public opinion
3) Without due process and lacks accountability
4) Extremely misleading, giving the impression that the government is actually building something when, in fact, little more than an idea has been written on a piece of paper.

This is an extremely dangerous precedent for any western democracy, especially Canada.

Freedom of speech applies to everyday citizens, not members of the government. It's still a government's job to protect the interests of ALL members it serves. Politics, whether people like it or not, is a profession, and like any profession (whether it be politics, medicine, engineering, or law), there are many cases that exempt you from a free speech clause. Metrolinx is a crown corporation and should be considered an extension of QP. The fact that Metrolinx is pursuing OL advertising (regardless of it's on IG) with taxpayer funds is:
1) A huge conflict of interest, which should be enough of a reason for it being illegal
2) Unethical — indirectly spears political opponents and influences public opinion
3) Without due process and lacks accountability
4) Extremely misleading, giving the impression that the government is actually building something when, in fact, little more than an idea has been written on a piece of paper.

This is an extremely dangerous precedent for any western democracy, especially Canada.

I wonder where the directive for the PR campaign came from. Something tells me Dougie’s office has something to do with this

Back