Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Then I wouldn't expect the things you mentioned
  1. burying the line under Leslieville
  2. Addressing the line's capacity
  3. Burying Don Mills/Science Centre

to be addressed.

With the city now having some say in the matter, I wouldn't be surprised to see some major changes - that's why I don't see it as a done deal. A line will be built at some point, but there are major details to work through.
I'm sure those changes can happen but I expect the province to tell the city to pay for the extra costs

We'll see if it even gets to that point. This is all happening after the next election, and by that point the next government might just opt to revert to the Relief Line South plan, with a commitment to build the Relief Line North. At that point, the RLS will still be able to begin construction sooner than the Ontario Line. RLS could likely begin construction by the end of 2022, which is when the Ontario Line would just be wrapping up its RFP.

I doubt it - and it wastes time, so I'd rather not have that happen.

AoD

Then I wouldn't expect the things you mentioned
  1. burying the line under Leslieville
  2. Addressing the line's capacity
  3. Burying Don Mills/Science Centre

to be addressed.

With the city now having some say in the matter, I wouldn't be surprised to see some major changes - that's why I don't see it as a done deal. A line will be built at some point, but there are major details to work through.
The sad thing is that those details were already worked through, with buy in from city staff, Council, and the community. Then Doug Ford the all that in the garbage to start again.

I'm sure those changes can happen but I expect the province to tell the city to pay for the extra costs

I believe the deal with the city (including the city releasing $3.2 billion in federal funding) is contingent on the OL plan addressing their concerns.

The sad thing is that those details were already worked through, with buy in from city staff, Council, and the community. Then Doug Ford the all that in the garbage to start again.

Exactly why it might make sense for the province to change the OL south alignment to something much closer to DRL south.

New map (source):

OntarioLine-20191010.jpg

Bad idea - considering the experience at GO corridors. Some durable, vandalism resistant materials would be good - and if vines grows on it, even better.

AoD

Right, I meant it as a catch all term for transparent materials. Is there anything transparent that meets the requirements you outlined? Then again, @salsa raises a good point. The grime will look terrible from inside the train. Best to just use an appealing opaque material.

Right, I meant it as a catch all term for transparent materials. Is there anything transparent that meets the requirements you outlined? Then again, @salsa raises a good point. The grime will look terrible from inside the train. Best to just use an appealing opaque material.

I can't imagine - plastics aren't terribly wear resistant, and glass is heavy and fragile (because you know it'd be safety glass, and someone will try and smash them). I'd say stick with opaque materials - you can allow visibility simply by leaving space in between the paneling or whatever (at some noise attenuation cost).

AoD

Stupid part is that one of the reasons we have the SSE extension is to eliminate the transfer from the subway to the RT. Elevating the Ontario Line at Don Mills just creates another Kennedy station and we're back to the drawing board.

People complaining about noise?
How is this an issue when we have Line 2 being exposed literally meters away from apartments and houses around Old Mills, Keele, High Park with not many problems? (other than the recent screeching problem which is happening underground)

If anything we as riders lose the great views the Ontario line would have providedat the bridgesat the Don River.

The gov should just provide incentives to upgrade the windows of the affected areas or something.

Stupid part is that one of the reasons we have the SSE extension is to eliminate the transfer from the subway to the RT. Elevating the Ontario Line at Don Mills just creates another Kennedy station and we're back to the drawing board.

And I bet there would be more people transferring between ECLRT/OL than East Harbour/OL.

AoD

People complaining about noise?
How is this an issue when we have Line 2 being exposed literally meters away from apartments and houses around Old Mills, Keele, High Park with not many problems? (other than the recent screeching problem which is happening underground)

If anything we as riders lose the great views the Ontario line would have providedat the bridgesat the Don River.

The gov should just provide incentives to upgrade the windows of the affected areas or something.
Because those areas weren't fancy dancy when those above ground subways were constructed. Fancy dancy areas don't like looking at transit. And suburb people think if fancy areas don't want to look at them then they shouldn't either. That's how we end up tunneling Eglinton west, the Vaughan extension and the Scarborough extension.

Because "Corktown" station is damn close.

I still think that infill stations at Strachan, River and Mortimer will one day be necessary though.

But yay for the Parliament Street (Corktown) stop at least which will serve many functions including a backdoor way to the Distillery.

Back