Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

From the blog:

The change is to above ground for East Harbour is perfectly fine, but the premise is rather questionable - if you have a 15 minute frequency route and transfer time is 5 minutes, what drives your decision isn't going to be that indoor escalator ride.

AoD

Meh. That's still helpful for procrastinators like me that would arrive at the station 90 seconds before the GO train in scheduled to leave ;)

The emphasis on reducing the transfer burden is the aspect of the Ontario Line that I like most. We shouldn't be repeating the mistakes of TYSSE.

Except at Science Centre station, which will now be elevated, while the Crosstown goes underground, basically pushing itself away from the Ontario Line.

The Ontario Line HAS to go underground at Science Centre station. Its ridiculous to elevate it while the transferring line literally goes further away from it underground.

"Riders will have a much faster connection above ground than was envisioned under an earlier plan that would have seen the Downtown Relief Line built 38 metres below ground at East Harbour.

“Getting out through a cascade of escalators from 38 metres to the top would be a slow experience for customers,” Goetzke explains.

An above ground station at East Harbour also means Ontario Line can cross the Don River by bridge, eliminating the need for a costly tunnel, saving tax dollars.

“When you are digging deep, every cubic metre that you dig is expensive,” Goetzke says.

Of course, the added convenience for riders is even more valuable than the cost savings."

Metrolinx is really laying it on thick with all the PR blog posts.

Getting off a GO Train and having a short walk to the OL is certainly convenient. I'd be curious to see how many people would actually do that vs staying on the GO till Union. It also weirdly makes a case for the above ground sections of the Eglinton LRT in Scarborough - you can get off a bus and transfer to the LRT with just a few short steps, instead of having to go underground.

Funny how they don't address capacity issues (both for the OL and GO) and neighbourhood concerns. Why not simply have a GO level stop with standard subway trains, keeping the rest underground?

A solution for Lesliesville proposed...thoughts?

Not sure it's practical as it'll be covered with black dust in no time

That's less of a problem than graffiti, scratching and clouding.

Plexiglass sound walls are more than enough to mitigate sound.

The only reason a roof might be wanted is due to snow.

The roof is good for vertically directed noise - issue when you have/plan to have highrises around it.

AoD

Listening to the committee...aren't people aware this is virtually a done deal? Advocating for the old relief line and Transit City is a pipe dream and a waste of time.

What I want to hear more is
  1. burying the line under Leslieville
  2. Addressing the line's capacity
  3. Burying Don Mills/Science Centre

If it was a done deal then these things probably couldn't be addressed.

Liking the plan or not, this is as best as the city will get at this point.

Then I wouldn't expect the things you mentioned
  1. burying the line under Leslieville
  2. Addressing the line's capacity
  3. Burying Don Mills/Science Centre

to be addressed.

With the city now having some say in the matter, I wouldn't be surprised to see some major changes - that's why I don't see it as a done deal. A line will be built at some point, but there are major details to work through.

Back