Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

For the 1000th time can people just copy and paste the articles. Lots of people don't have a subscription and some people can't figure out how to get around pay walls
Paywall is becoming more a pain in the ass and very expensive to subscribe to. If I had to pay for all the paywall sites I visit, cost me over $1,500 a year.

Good journalism costs money. If you want good journalism, pay for it. If nobody pays for it, the paywalls are just a way of getting used to the world after we kill all the proper news outlets.

Yes, yes and if the person at the market didn’t want me to steal their fruit they wouldn’t leave it unattended outside their store. No matter how you want to frame it, if you’re supposed to pay for something, and you don’t, you’re stealing.

I hope the mods govern the posting of stolen articles accordingly.

This isnt them putting their fruit outside the store, this is them putting it in my house.

Its not copy and pasting the article, its them literally giving it to me to have, on my hard drive.

If they don't want me to read something they gave me, they shouldnt have given it to me in the first place.

I wouldnt steal it from a source like Outline or copy and pasted from a friend. If they put up a proper working paywall, I would either not read it or pay.

But if you are gonna do something as simple as put it on my hard drive for me, sorry. Its mine now.

Otherwise dont put fruit in my house if you dont expect me to eat it.

Here's an idea. Predicting the vehicles that'll run on the line. Wouldn't be surprised if they chose the Alstom Metropolis trains or the Bombardier Mark III trains.

Wouldn't the LIM based Mark III's be problematic like the current Scarborough RT? In fact, given how much of the line runs outdoors wouldn't a Metropolis with overhead catenary, or an equivalent Bombardier Movia be the best choice?

Wouldn't the LIM based Mark III's be problematic like the current Scarborough RT? In fact, given how much of the line runs outdoors wouldn't a Metropolis with overhead catenary, or an equivalent Bombardier Movia be the best choice?
Yupp. The Ontario Line will likely be 3rd rail although Catenary is also possible. LIM only really works if you're in an area that sees very little snow (i.e. Vancouver or Kuala Lumpur) or if the line is completely underground (i.e. Osaka and Sapporo).

Good journalism costs money. If you want good journalism, pay for it. If nobody pays for it, the paywalls are just a way of getting used to the world after we kill all the proper news outlets.
No it isn't. Its a cash grab when you already pay for part of it in the fist place. I get the Star Paper daily and they still want more to use their site. It also applies to other media that I subscribe to in written form.

The goal of various sites is to stop printing and doing everything on line. I have seen this already where my subscription is only on line now. I already have cancel my subscription for some of them.

I have stop going to various site where there is a paywall or for an add blocker I have for my browser.

I only use headline links when I come across something others should read and up to them to deal with paywall and adds. Anything else has come into my mailbox by email that can be pass on to a point.

Now time to return to the thread title for what going on for it

Hey, whatever you need to tell yourself to justify your theft. It’s not up to me to police it. Now hopefully we can get back on topic?

Here's an idea. Predicting the vehicles that'll run on the line. Wouldn't be surprised if they chose the Alstom Metropolis trains or the Bombardier Mark III trains.
What is an Alstom?

According to this wiki website, there are many variations. Between 2.4m to 3.2m wide. 15m to 24m length cars. 3rd rail or overhead power. (3.2m wide and 24m long seems to be most common).

I'd think the chosen route will decide the radius - which will dictate the length (and maybe width) of the cars and the car. Number of cars are added to achieve the 30k capacity.

Yupp. The Ontario Line will likely be 3rd rail although Catenary is also possible. LIM only really works if you're in an area that sees very little snow (i.e. Vancouver or Kuala Lumpur) or if the line is completely underground (i.e. Osaka and Sapporo).

I wonder what the cost-benefit is of having a system thats both catenary and 3rd rail.

Catenary works better outside in snow/cold, but 3rd rail means a smaller tunnel diameter.

You can build a train with both a 3rd rail shoe and an overhead pantograph, but of course that means more complexity.

But I wonder if that cost is lesser than having to bore a larger tunnel for the overhead wire system.

What is an Alstom?

According to this wiki website, there are many variations. Between 2.4m to 3.2m wide. 15m to 24m length cars. 3rd rail or overhead power. (3.2m wide and 24m long seems to be most common).

I'd think the chosen route will decide the radius - which will dictate the length (and maybe width) of the cars and the car. Number of cars are added to achieve the 30k capacity.

Lets hope if they dont extend the platforms more than the proposed 100m they go with 3.2m wide.

Although thats just as wide as the current subway trains. So it will probably be 2.4m to save on costs as was the whole purpose of using new tech.

They need to make those platforms longer man... 130m at least.

Lets hope if they dont extend the platforms more than the proposed 100m they go with 3.2m wide.

Although thats just as wide as the current subway trains. So it will probably be 2.4m to save on costs as was the whole purpose of using new tech.

More like 200m plus, but will need less on opening day. Plan for the future at the same time. Anything less than a 4 car TR train type on opening is only asking for trouble.

Look what I've found by a simple URL manipulation:

O_Line_1920x806_Map.jpg

Attachments

• 1567539903574.png
    1567539903574.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

The only downside I could see to wider is that the turning radius might be worse. Although it likely depends more on train car length.

I wonder what the cost-benefit is of having a system thats both catenary and 3rd rail.

Catenary works better outside in snow/cold, but 3rd rail means a smaller tunnel diameter.

You can build a train with both a 3rd rail shoe and an overhead pantograph, but of course that means more complexity.

But I wonder if that cost is lesser than having to bore a larger tunnel for the overhead wire system.

Given that many systems use a solid cantenary in tunnels now (i.e. a rail on the ceiling) I'd think the bore difference isn't a huge cost difference. Especially if they go single bore

lrt-tunnel-east-end-near-university-of-ottawa.png

Last edited:

Back