Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

For the 1000th time can people just copy and paste the articles. Lots of people don't have a subscription and some people can't figure out how to get around pay walls
Neither can the poster.

Paywall is becoming more a pain in the ass and very expensive to subscribe to. If I had to pay for all the paywall sites I visit, cost me over $1,500 a year.

Its also time to cut and paste as well fixing it, as some are not straight forward.

Paywall is becoming more a pain in the ass and very expensive to subscribe to. If I had to pay for all the paywall sites I visit, cost me over $1,500 a year.
So true. I already pay $150/month for my internet, can not pay anymore.
I work part-time on-call for minimum wage. Can not, will not pay for any website access.

For the 1000th time can people just copy and paste the articles. Lots of people don't have a subscription and some people can't figure out how to get around pay walls
I read it and there was not much exciting in the article.
Sometimes I copy the link into a private browser (InPrivate, Incognito). another option that was pointed out here was to click the refresh and immediately hit escape and the page shows up. These don't always work though - in which case I just figure that it couldn't be that important if another site didn't cover the same story.

It seems the policy on UT is that you are allowed to pasted short quotes from articles, but not allowed to paste entire articles - unless your motivation is to prevent clicks to the TorontoSun (or other right-wing news source), in which case the entire article can be pasted.

Or don’t steal content... ?‍♂️

Its not stealing considering the entire article gets downloaded to your machine in the background.

Heres the stars website, with the "paywall" if all I do is disable CSS stylesheets.

If the Star doesn't want people to read their content for free, they shouldnt download it onto my computer. Putting the entire article on my computer, you are giving me the right to read it. Its already on my machine.

Disabling CSS isnt a "hack" either. Its not a requirement in terms of web standards. AODA readers for example can disable CSS for accessibility. I'm not hacking the site, i'm just choosing to not enable one of the optional features.

Yes, yes and if the person at the market didn’t want me to steal their fruit they wouldn’t leave it unattended outside their store. No matter how you want to frame it, if you’re supposed to pay for something, and you don’t, you’re stealing.

I hope the mods govern the posting of stolen articles accordingly.

I think you have the rights to read it if it ends up in your face either as a free article or whatever way you decide to read it. Posting it and teaching others how to gain access to it is totally a different thing.

Yes, yes and if the person at the market didn’t want me to steal their fruit they wouldn’t leave it unattended outside their store. No matter how you want to frame it, if you’re supposed to pay for something, and you don’t, you’re stealing.

I hope the mods govern the posting of stolen articles accordingly.

So don't look over someone shoulder to read something on their device, or risk arrest?

Or to ask someone out for a date?

FFS, just input the right search terms into Google News and multiple sources for the story if it's trending or popular enough will come up. Problem solved.

You guys are acting like the Toronto Star is some sacred scripture whose text can't be replicated elsewhere. :rolleyes:

No paywall, and opening in incognito in Chrome usually gets around this.

Back