Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

So where do you think they would send Relief Line trains for maintenance (in other words, where will there be connecting tracks)? Greenwood or Downsview?
Greenwood is the logical choice, with the displaced trains being handled by a yard in the west end. Tricky part will be exactly how do the trains access Greenwood, since a connection to the Danforth line is a non-starter and Pape Avenue further south is not exactly adjacent to Greenwood Yard.

While they are planning the line, I wonder if they will consider designing the stations to accommodate 7 or 8 car trains, given the centrality of that piece of infrastructure.

AoD
If reusing Greenwood yard I doubt it, since it is likely optimised for 450 foot trains. If enough care is put into construction, signalling, platform doors then one would hope the overall gain from reliability will make up for any capacity foregone.

It would be amazing if we could run some express trains on the line also. I always envy express services in other cities. It would go a long way towards reducing commute times for people further out.

If reusing Greenwood yard I doubt it, since it is likely optimised for 450 foot trains. If enough care is put into construction, signalling, platform doors then one would hope the overall gain from reliability will make up for any capacity foregone.

In the short term that wouldn't be an issue - the extra length of the station can remain unused.

AoD

I feel like this thread has been derailed quite a bit, so to get things back on topic:

Simple DRL Phase 1 in tune with the recent developments in the news. I extend it one kilometre over to Spadina to intercept the busy 510 Spadina streetcar. I also added back in a Parliament Stn by shifting the stop intended for Sherbourne west to Jarvis St (a walk-in transfer to the 75 bus via Moss Park); and placed a station at Queen and Carlaw to lessen the commute from Leslieville and the Beaches to the nearest subway.

LOL no stations interchanging at the Yonge line?

So...a Relief Line that offers no relief.

While they are planning the line, I wonder if they will consider designing the stations to accommodate 7 or 8 car trains, given the centrality of that piece of infrastructure.

AoD

I hate to say it but it really only needs to be 6 cars long. I know that City Hall thinks Toronto is the centre of the world (and City Hall is the centre of that) but it's a horrible choice for a station and no one will use the line. Will I choose to save 5 minutes going via DRL and then have to walk 15 minutes to get to work or fight the crowds on Yonge and be right beside my building?

Look at how many people change lines in London to get 200 meters closer to their destination (and not just tourists....Londoners as well).

A subway for politicians to get to work and not for the real people of Toronto who have to work 8-6 every day.

I hate to say it but it really only needs to be 6 cars long. I know that City Hall thinks Toronto is the centre of the world (and City Hall is the centre of that) but it's a horrible choice for a station and no one will use the line. Will I choose to save 5 minutes going via DRL and then have to walk 15 minutes to get to work or fight the crowds on Yonge and be right beside my building?

Looking at foot traffic at the PATH system, I'd say people are doing that already.

AoD

Yeesh, we're not talking six lanes here. Richmond has four lanes and sidewalks. Surely we can do two lanes and a shoulder underground. Can't believe the lack of problem solving. Yes, stick to debates over six station subway lines. Leave the heavy lifting to future generations. To think we built the Bloor Viaduct with provision for a subway back in the 30's. This crowd couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Obico Yard south of Kipling Station is in the TTC's sights, being currently for sale. Extending Line 2 coincides with the end of life of the current Line 2 subway cars...and when you look at it from a system perspective...extended line+new trainsets+resignalling....well Greenwood won't cut it by itself anymore.

It would be amazing if we could run some express trains on the line also. I always envy express services in other cities. It would go a long way towards reducing commute times for people further out.
Not worth the money. Express trains in the peak direction only would require 3 tracks instead of two, and there are barely any cities with express service (New York is the only one I can think of). People from farther out should be using RER (once it is implemented, which will likely be before the DRL).

Yeesh, we're not talking six lanes here. Richmond has four lanes and sidewalks. Surely we can do two lanes and a shoulder underground. Can't believe the lack of problem solving. Yes, stick to debates over six station subway lines. Leave the heavy lifting to future generations. To think we built the Bloor Viaduct with provision for a subway back in the 30's. This crowd couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery.
What's with all the insults? A mod already told you to stop talking about your buried Gardiner fantasy in this thread.

@Euphoria

Every time you go on about the Gardiner in this thread, I always think of this video. You're an "ideas man" through and through. You come up with a very simplified idea that is next to impossible to implement, and expect others to figure out how to make it work.

With that said, car tunnels are too short sighted. We should just demolish the Gardiner and use flying cars instead. Don't tell me we can't build flying cars either, because I refuse to listen to such unimaginative and close minded people.

Back