Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Omg I'm so excited for unique architecture and beautiful, neighbourhood defining transit stations.

View attachment 245545
They really should give Keel the VP treatment and put some windows in. Keel isn't just bleak on the outside but on the inside as well. As a bonus here's the original artist concept for Keel Station. Amazing to see how far we fell from what was planned to what was actually built.
keele-subway-5122-03.jpg

Last edited:
This is the case with a LOT of large subway systems.

But the problem is that people in Toronto see a map, they know their own system, and they think its all underground.

I think the bigger problem is that politicians have realized they can most effectively sell underground transit for votes to areas that don't need underground transit.

Any idea when that rendition of Keele is from? I wasn't aware of there being a period after Bloor was the definite route but before and extension beyond Keele was confirmed.

I think the bigger problem is that politicians have realized they can most effectively sell underground transit for votes to areas that don't need underground transit.
Doesn't help when people are being sold on the two extremes most of the time. Either underground, or at-grade in-median.

Any idea when that rendition of Keele is from? I wasn't aware of there being a period after Bloor was the definite route but before and extension beyond Keele was confirmed.
Apparently the painting was commissioned by the TTC in the 1950's although I am not sure the exact date. The Bloor-Danforth was approved in 1958 with proposals for the line having been developed by the mid 50's so you can probably date the image to somewhere between 1954 and 1957 maybe? The current Keele design likely came about sometime around 1964 going by the picture included here. As for when it was decided the BD should extend beyond Keele/Woodbine is anyone's guess it seems; although the Province kicked in the funding for it in the early 60's.
IMG_7053.JPG

The more I think about it, the more I realize that a decent amount of the Subway is above ground.
Well lets see theres:

Line 1:
>Eglinton - St.Clair
>St. Clair - Summerhill (If you want to get real pedantic about what's "underground")
>Summerhill - Bloor
>Eglinton West - Sheppard West

Line 2:
>Warden - Victoria Park
>Broadview - Castle Frank (Bloor Viaduct)
>Castle Frank - Sherbourne (Rosdale Valley Bridge, it's just enclosed)
>Dundas West - Keele
>High Park - Runnymede
>Old Mill
>Royal York - Islington
>Kipling

Line 3 is the entire line save for a small segment north of Ellesmere
Line 4 has the bridge over the Don Valley east of Leslie; its just enclosed

Edit: Quick map a drew up with the rough differences in Underground/Above Ground
TTCGradMap.png

Last edited:
Line 2 had a partly-covered bridge over the Rosedale ravine, until the vent opening were covered over with concrete to reduce "noise".

rosedale_valleybridge.jpeg

From link.

They could cover the open sections of the Ontario Line to reduce "noise", but likely they just cover it with concrete instead of glass.

Line 2 had a partly-covered bridge over the Rosedale ravine, until the vent opening were covered over with concrete to reduce "noise".

rosedale_valleybridge.jpeg

From link.

They could cover the open sections of the Ontario Line to reduce "noise", but likely they just cover it with concrete instead of glass.

Imagine the spectacular views that riders would have had if this wasn't enclosed.

Back