News   Jul 10, 2020
 788     0 
News   Jul 10, 2020
 417     0 
News   Jul 10, 2020
 1.8K     3 

Ontario Line (was Relief Line South, in Design)

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder how the art will work for the existing bridge, given it might have to be expanded for the Ontario Line, or new piers for a separate bridge structure for the Ontario Line might be built in front of or near the art?

Location here: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6680874,-79.3436617,17.75z

View attachment 232908

Source:
Probably new structure since theres only space for 1 more track on that bridge and I think that GO wants to use it

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the stations have to be "cut-and-cover" to create the entrances to the underground stations. Cut-and-cover maybe cheaper, but it is more disruptive to the neighbourhood.

If they could still tunnel using the ATM, but locate the stations under the corners of an intersections, or away from the roadways (like on Line 2), that would be something to look into. Wonder if someone drew that on a napkin yet?

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
A foreshadowing of what may come.
For the Crosstown, they can't really receive compensation for unforeseeable events like ground water causing delays. They can only successfully sue for things like bad construction practices and intentionally making a mess that causes business to lose. If this Canada Line compensation lawsuit fails for the businesses, there won't be much hope for similar cases.

TorPronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
Eglinton Crosstown LRT will have deep stations. Has to get under Eglinton West (Cedarvale) and Eglinton Stations. Caledonia Station will be the deepest on that line.

The Ontario Line will also be deep to get under Osgoode, Queen, and Pape (Danforth). Haven't seen any plans for the Science Centre Station, but hopefully they put in a station box TODAY, else they'll have dig it up again later.
FYI, no station box. From what I've read here, it's not in Crosslinx contract to put one in.

ssiguy2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Gordon price is a prick and how he compare a side road in the West End to a major road with a vibrant shopping district is anyone's guess. Cut and cover is fine of residential streets or even major ones with no real business impact but not on vibrant urban streets.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
Gordon price is a prick and how he compare a side road in the West End to a major road with a vibrant shopping district is anyone's guess. Cut and cover is fine of residential streets or even major ones with no real business impact but not on vibrant urban streets.
I'd rather a cut & cover line be next to a commercial zone than a residential one — vibration is a real concern for people trying to sleep.

blacksquirrels

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'd rather a cut & cover line be next to a commercial zone than a residential one — vibration is a real concern for people trying to sleep.
No it's not. I grew up right next to Line 2, lived in the basement and could easily hear the vibrations of the train. It never once kept me up at night. Not even one time. People need to stop making things up to fit their own personal narrative and bias.

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
No it's not. I grew up right next to Line 2, lived in the basement and could easily hear the vibrations of the train. It never once kept me up at night. Not even one time. People need to stop making things up to fit their own personal narrative and bias.
I took Streety's comment to mean the vibration of construction, not when the trains are running.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
I took Streety's comment to mean the vibration of construction, not when the trains are running.
Actually streety has suggested in the past one should live 500 m away from a station in order not to feel vibrations. So maybe in this case he meant construction but previously he meant when talking about the subway running. I don't think I live 200 meters from Eglinton west and I cannot feel any vibrations.

Tommy521

Member Bio
Reaction score
I personally have lived in the basement at 81 Spadina road, which lies directly above the N-S Spadina station. Considering it is a station, the vibrations were quite strong and had woken me up several times. There was screeching from the tracks that could be heard from vents in the roadway through my closed window as well. Of course, there was also considerable traffic noise considering my ground-level window faced the street; and I had probably been woken up more times by drunk people shouting outside the station than the subway itself.

Were vibrations keeping me up every night? No. Is it a valid concern? Definitely.

This isn't a nail in the coffin for future cut-and-cover. But it's important to realize that other people may have had different experiences than you and are not necessarily pushing some narrative or bias. It's more constructive to talk about concerns like that by acknowledging them and assessing them instead of acting like they don't exist.

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
di[
I personally have lived in the basement at 81 Spadina road, which lies directly above the N-S Spadina station. Considering it is a station, the vibrations were quite strong and had woken me up several times. There was screeching from the tracks that could be heard from vents in the roadway through my closed window as well. Of course, there was also considerable traffic noise considering my ground-level window faced the street; and I had probably been woken up more times by drunk people shouting outside the station than the subway itself.

Were vibrations keeping me up every night? No. Is it a valid concern? Definitely.

This isn't a nail in the coffin for future cut-and-cover. But it's important to realize that other people may have had different experiences than you and are not necessarily pushing some narrative or bias. It's more constructive to talk about concerns like that by acknowledging them and assessing them instead of acting like they don't exist.
Did the curve contribute to the noise? Is this more a local problem compared to a global problem along the line. Also, not sure if various technologies are quieter now than when Spadina was built .