Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

This drives me crazy. Much of Thorncliffe (Overlea) and Flemington (Don Mills Road) is a good location for the Ontario line to be above ground because one side of the road has no residential. The Canada Line runs above ground through similar communities on it's way to the airport. It can work well here.

FWIW, DMW is very much disliked by the influential Don Mills Residents Inc. I've been at community meetings with hundreds of attendees where he has been in attendance and pilloried. The DMRI has already started to organize to find a candidate to replace Denzil. Considering the temperature of residents in those meetings, DMW will have a well organized and vocal opposition at the next election.
DMW?

A quick read of their site has me rolling my eyeballs to the back of my head. It's one thing to raise legitimate concerns and seek reasonable solutions to address them. But to be spreading a bunch of alarmist BS to their followers and in such an unprofessional manner, is not helpful to anyone and is a disservice to the entire community.

They then go on to post a Google Map link to this cherry-picked industrial section of the Skytrain as somehow representative of what Leslieville will look like.
I live here. I‘ll have to go set the record straight. I just signed up for the e-blasts. @achender this will probably be cantilevered over No Frills, the Gerrard LCBO, the Gerrard dog park and Bonjour Brioche. ?

Getting it done right takes a lot of time and careful planning, which runs contrary to the push to have this project rushed through the planning and design phases with minimal consultation.

Meh seems pretty reasonable reply from a residents' group opposed to something. We see these all the time. And cherry-picking is what posters do on this site all the time which I know you're aware of (and you're sort of doing with this post).

All things considered they have a right to be PO'd though. Went from a well consulted and vetted plan to a backroom Prov-Schabas crayon doodle. One more or less thoroughly rejected 35yrs ago.

I live here. I‘ll have to go set the record straight. I just signed up for the e-blasts. @achender this will probably be cantilevered over No Frills, the Gerrard LCBO, the Gerrard dog park and Bonjour Brioche. ?

Cantilevered seems to be correct. I doubt it'd be over many properties, but it should be quite high up seeing that it's double elevated. The renders in the original "DRL" report from the 80s pretty much nails what's proposed I believe. Also since the existing elevated embankment when widened would be given a hardscaped walled edge we'd be losing the tree cover along the rail line, which is unfortunate and further exposes any structures if built.

I'm open to anything that gets it built, and if they do go over the rail corridor the views would be amazing. But it's a tall order. And obviously cedes some of GO's expansion plans.

IMG_3905.JPG

Next
Ontario Line Open House sessions coming:

Ontario Line Public Open Houses

Dear Stakeholders,

On June 4, 2019, the Ontario Government passed the "Getting Ontario Moving Act," which assigns responsibility for planning some rapid transit in Toronto to the Province of Ontario. As a result, the Relief Line project has now been replaced by the Ontario Line project. With this change, Metrolinx will lead a renewed consultation and exploration process, which will also include additional Environmental Assessment work. As this new process gets underway, we hope that you will continue to participate in engagement opportunities.

Metrolinx is hosting four public open houses to introduce the Ontario Line later this month. Fifteen potential stations are proposed between Ontario Place and Ontario Science Centre, with links to GO Transit, the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, and TTC Lines 1 and 2. The objective of the information sessions will be to provide the public with an overview of the project, the process, and information on future engagement opportunities.

The information sessions will be hosted in the last two weeks of January. The same information will be available at each event. Details of the sessions are below, and included in the flyer.
hYEEIlu2q7sIXoszELLOf0kKUYhY829UfIxQTRIt3YyFATI8styP_uITdb0M1uBwS1RqKdBdmLFWhVsGTkGP38vUMLlw6Xbn2XE_O4meMK2ogVA3kMKf-NQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Public Open Houses
Date: Thursday, January 23rd
Time: 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
770 Don Mills Rd, North York, ON M3C 1T3

Date: Monday, January 27th
55 Gould St, Toronto, ON M5B 1E9

Date: Tuesday, January 28th
115 Simpson Ave, Toronto, ON M4K 1A1

Date: Wednesday, January 29th
105 Princes' Blvd, Toronto, ON M6K 3C3

Nothing about them supplying an inventory of napkins and crayons. If they serve refreshments, hopefully they'll have extra napkins. Bring your own crayons.

Meh seems pretty reasonable reply from a residents' group opposed to something. We see these all the time. And cherry-picking is what posters do on this site all the time which I know you're aware of (and you're sort of doing with this post).

All things considered they have a right to be PO'd though. Went from a well consulted and vetted plan to a backroom Prov-Schabas crayon doodle. One more or less thoroughly rejected 35yrs ago.

Cantilevered seems to be correct. I doubt it'd be over many properties, but it should be quite high up seeing that it's double elevated. The renders in the original "DRL" report from the 80s pretty much nails what's proposed I believe. Also since the existing elevated embankment when widened would be given a hardscaped walled edge we'd be losing the tree cover along the rail line, which is unfortunate and further exposes any structures if built.

I'm open to anything that gets it built, and if they do go over the rail corridor the views would be amazing. But it's a tall order. And obviously cedes some of GO's expansion plans.

View attachment 224967

Where is this image from?

As mentioned it's not one.

Some of these are ok examples, well ok only Tokyo is. Thanks to their Uber long trains a lot of these cities are able to justify pretty brutal frequencies. SF and DC in particular.

Ok this is just silly, longitudinal seating and potentially 5 doors per each side of the car, would be a good way to improve Yonge Capacity and Boarding/Alighting speeds, especially going into the future. Opposition to simple measures that would actually improve things when we clearly NEED more capacity faster than new lines can be built is very questionable.

Lots of reasons why this should not be the case. Plenty of cities are fine without doing this.

Ridden on trains in other cities with the perimeter seating. Didn't like. Always headed to the end of the cars where we could face forward (or backwards). As mentioned, likely people who don't use public transit, like Doug Ford, would like those types of seats.

Some of these are ok examples, well ok only Tokyo is. Thanks to their Uber long trains a lot of these cities are able to justify pretty brutal frequencies. SF and DC in particular.
SF and DC are special cases here. Their systems are commuter subways. Basically, they work as both Regional Rail and as a subway system. This is why frequencies in the suburbs (especially during the off peak) are as low as every 15-30 minutes. Lines do converge in the core areas and frequencies increase significantly there. During the off peak times, trains can be quite small as well, but they built their platforms and made their trains large enough for the heavy peak commuter periods.

But they aren't the only cities — Miami, London, LA, Beijing, Singapore, Shanghai, Seoul, Amsterdam, Medellín, Lyon, etc have very large trains that are quite wide (>2.9 m).

Why don’t we ask the poster @44 North ?
It's from the Downtown Rapid Transit Study from 1985, a kind of precursor document to Network 2011. The study recommended a subway/ICTS system running from Pape to the intersection of Spadina/Front following Pape Street, Eastern Avenue, the rail corridor, and then Front Street. I actually have a copy on loan right now if anybody is interested in seeing more pictures of it.

It's from the Downtown Rapid Transit Study from 1985, a kind of precursor document to Network 2011. The study recommended a subway/ICTS system running from Pape to the intersection of Spadina/Front following Pape Street, Eastern Avenue, the rail corridor, and then Front Street. I actually have a copy on loan right now if anybody is interested in seeing more pictures of it.

Yes, please!

Please scan more pics and put on here!

Back