Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

So why can't we have an extra pair (or four) of T1s in service on Line 2 at rush hour? They are sitting in Greenwood Yard...Gods the revenue loss on PRESTO would pay for this alone...
Line 2 is never that bad unless there was a delay on the line. Then people will be left behind starting at Dundas West or Victoria Park. The better question is why they can't have more gap trains at Keele Yard or at Greenwood. Even if they worst the train behind to to wait a minute or two, a gap train could clear out platforms unlike a fully stuffed train.
The worst part is they can never sort out the long queue towards the terminal. Going to Kipling, Kennedy and Finch sucks cause the current terminal design and operation can't handle the way TTC is managing the lines at the current headways.

as

Toronto's problem isn't really door related; is the platform asbestos and ventilation systems (smoke removal in most stations relies on the stairwells for airflow) that are the challenge.

AFAIK, only Finch station had the ventilation system upgraded (2010); and it was about 10x the hoped for price (the price the board was expecting before assigning engineering to actually design it). Platform doors for all TTC stations is a $2.5B project; about $2B is not really door related.

That said, I hope they're included in the $1B Bloor-Yonge remodel.

Why not just do a combination of blue lights at the ends of platforms (tested in Japan and shown to calm people down) + chest height platform walls? This at least partially solves the ventillation problem, and avoids excessive disturbance of the station structure.

Pushing full height platform doors on all stations honestly seems like a blunt force solution and something that will end up a recurring expense down the road.

There are many professional and armchair quarterback opinions here and damn I like the exchanges. I am (was) an engineer earlier in my career - but not a civil or mechanical so this stuff is fascinating to me. The restrictions on design in my career were money and bosses and physics.

The restrictions built into these projects is one of the most fascinating aspects to me. Transit projects in particular are very interesting, and I would encourage everyone to read more into the problems that face these sorts of projects. It is a very unique combination of restrictions from society, economics, geology, mechanical, electrical and many more I am sure. They are some of the most complex and multidisciplinary projects around.

Wednesday and Thursday, December 18 / 19 - Metrolinx contractor with ground sampling drill rig at work at the corner of Bathurst and Wellington for the Bathurst section of the Ontario Line.

From a personal perspective, it would be nice to see at least this portion of the Ontario Line implemented as currently planned. (As a side note - ours is the terrace beneath the overhang just to the left of the top of the rig - from which the distance photos of The Well, Minto Westside, and the West Block / Loblaws have been taken.)

20191219_122859.jpg

The idiotic media in this city keeps fighting against elevated transit in this city and pushing their agenda. Look at what this article states:

“(If the goal is creating) an attractive mixed-use commercial strip, and you can’t cross the street because there’s a cement barrier, that’s dark and cold and unsafe to cross, it’s not going to make that strip a vibrant place to hang out.”

Cities from Amsterdam, Sydney, Montreal which look move attractive than Toronto and have built or are building elevated transit, I don't see why it is such a problem here. We can't use the argument that its ugly, most of Toronto looks ugly. People want everything built underground and then wonder why nothing gets built.

The idiotic media in this city keeps fighting against elevated transit in this city and pushing their agenda. Look at what this article states:

“(If the goal is creating) an attractive mixed-use commercial strip, and you can’t cross the street because there’s a cement barrier, that’s dark and cold and unsafe to cross, it’s not going to make that strip a vibrant place to hang out.”

Cities from Amsterdam, Sydney, Montreal which look move attractive than Toronto and have built or are building elevated transit, I don't see why it is such a problem here. We can't use the argument that its ugly, most of Toronto looks ugly. People want everything built underground and then wonder why nothing gets built.

I think the context most Torontonians (those whom haven't traveled outside of North America, at least) use when thinking of elevated transit though are either NYC or Chicago, and to a lesser extent Vancouver's Skytrain. Therein lies the problem. They're not seeing the "beauty", they're seeing @TheTigerMaster 's grey, colorless sky motif-ed version of elevated transit.

Elevating the relief line, or any future subway line isn't the problem, and Idk why the star is trying to focus on aesthetics. Capacity is, and will always be the main issue.

Do not build for today's capacity. Build for tomorrow's capacity. Be it 50, 75, or even 100 years from now.
Now is the best time to construct a second Yonge line under the existing Line 1, albeit for express trains. Securing funding for it is another story.

Now is the best time to construct a second Yonge line under the existing Line 1, albeit for express trains. Securing funding for it is another story.
Sometimes, I can't help but notice that some Line 1 stations are unnecessarily close to each other (Like St. Andrew to Osgoode). I mean it's convenient but also inefficient at the same time. Often times, I would walk in the Downtown Core anyways because the TTC subway can be unpredictable at times and sometimes it is faster to walk. Can they somehow incorporate express trains that will skip some stations with the existing tracks? It will likely have issues in practise but this is just a thought.

Sometimes, I can't help but notice that some Line 1 stations are unnecessarily close to each other (Like St. Andrew to Osgoode). I mean it's convenient but also inefficient at the same time. Often times, I would walk in the Downtown Core anyways because the TTC subway can be unpredictable at times and sometimes it is faster to walk. Can they somehow incorporate express trains that will skip some stations with the existing tracks? It will likely have issues in practise but this is just a thought.
Not really since running Express or Skip-Stop service on a 2 track line in any sane manner requires at least a couple of multi-track/multi-platform stations to allow Exprees trains to overtake Locals. Davisville is the only station in the system that can do this and only in the Southbound direction and 1 station on a line of nearly 40 isn't enough for an express/skip-stop service to be feasible. You could change up the schedule to allow enough space for a skip-stop train or two however this would come to the detriment of Local service and during rush hour this would be a hard sell. As well it would require meticulous schedule and near perfect operations to pull off, any delay of a local train would dramatically effect the express runs. You can only get away with this on lines which already has high headway's between trains, in the case of the TTC they run trains at around 3 minute intervals and are looking to lower that with the start of ATC operation so there is really very little room for a express/skip-stop service as it is. The only example I can think of that fucntions like this is the J/Z trains in New York which runs a skip stop service with J and Z trains alternating stops so while the line may run at something like 5 minute or so headways, the train that stops at your station probably won't show up for 10 minutes. It functions like this:

J (Does not stop) ---- 5 minutes ------- Z ------------ 5 minutes -------- J (Does not stop) ------- 5 minutes Z
So you can see there is a 10 minute gap between the first Z train and the second. The exact opposite happens at the next station where all J trains stop but Z trains bypass.

Been saying that for over a decade and it needs to be an express line. Most of all, can't use Yonge St south of Eglinton as the existing stations will never be able to handle ridership of both lines considering they can't today with one line. The stations need to be longer than the current ones with wider platforms.

Bay is the best route and the line stops at the Toronto Islands

This would be the line to York Region.

Back