Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I'd agree that 16 minutes is a significant time savings.

I just wonder if the trip would actually be faster with the previous alignment. The new southern plan seems somewhat inefficient. Not a surprise considering how much study and planning went into the DRL alignment.

It isn't silly. It is a matter of perspective, and I will respect yours (more than you respected mine). But, hey, feel free to insult me in a passive-aggressive tone all you want.
?

I'm not saying you personally are "silly", just the idea that 39% time savings on a commute isn't significant just because the commute isn't a 2+ hour hyper commute.

I'd agree that 16 minutes is a significant time savings.

I just wonder if the trip would actually be faster with the previous alignment. The new southern plan seems somewhat inefficient. Not a surprise considering how much study and planning went into the DRL alignment.

The new alignment should consider just using King instead of Queen to smooth out the wicked turns.

If I had time and better graphic skills it would be fun to see this new Ontario Line map overlaid onto a Google Maps aerial view.

The new alignment should consider just using King instead of Queen to smooth out the wicked turns.
I think Queen is better and more centralized. If it's too far south. Those are college or Dundas would rather utilize the existing lines 1 and 2 instead.

Going north in pm rush, those at Union and King could transfer at Queen. If it's at King, only Union riders can transfer. More of Queen riders would contribute to filling up northbound trains instead of reliefing it.

I think Queen is better and more centralized. If it's too far south. Those are college or Dundas would rather utilize the existing lines 1 and 2 instead.

Going north in pm rush, those at Union and King could transfer at Queen. If it's at King, only Union riders can transfer. More of Queen riders would contribute to filling up northbound trains instead of reliefing it.

Do you really think that the Ontario Line will be the last relief line?? Cuz ... you might as will think about how a RER Queen Line (straight line is helpful) will have to be built afterwards to help unclog the underbuilt Ontario Line.

Part of the rationale for not putting Relief Line 1 on King was that RER + the Relief Line would put way too much pressure on pedestrian infrastructure on the area. Remember that traffic at Union is expected to double in the coming decades. So with that in mind, Dundas might be a better location for Relief Line 2 to spread out demand. Dundas also happens to be the most used station on Line 1 south of Bloor, last I checked

If Relief Line 1 and Relief Line 2 are built on Queen and King, I propose a network of elevated Pedestrian Relief Line Expressways to alleviate pedestrian congestion on the sidewalks and PATH. The Relief Line Pedestrian Expressway would have collector lanes, with traditional sidewalks, and express lanes with moving sidewalks. Stations would be built 500 metres apart to allow entry to the expressway.

If Relief Line 1 and Relief Line 2 are built on Queen and King, I propose a network of elevated Pedestrian Relief Line Expressways to alleviate pedestrian congestion on the sidewalks and PATH. The Relief Line Pedestrian Expressway would have collector lanes, with traditional sidewalks, and express lanes with moving sidewalks. Stations would be built 500 metres apart to allow entry to the expressway.

This is total BS. Why are the people of King and Queen being treated like second class citizens? The PRLE should be underground to protect them from the weather. Do only the PATH elites get to go underground?

Downtown has enough sidewalks.

This is total BS. Why are the people of King and Queen being treated like second class citizens? The PRLE should be underground to protect them from the weather. Do only the PATH elites get to go underground?

Downtown has enough sidewalks.
You have to admit, PATH is one of the greatest selling features of Downtown, probably only behind the streetcar network in terms of transportation.

The Bloor line started planning shortly after the completion of the Yonge line, so still well over 60 years ago. Your math still doesn't add up.

And to suggest that modifications to Bloor Station were "feasible" at that point in time is laughable. Close the then-new Yonge Line to rebuild a station in the hopes that maybe 60 years later they'd finally need that level of capacity? Short of you personally going back in time to 1946 and telling them that it would be required, there is no way that anyone there would have had enough foresight to see what would happen in the distant future.

Dan
1. That's why I used the word built, and not planned
2. Much easier then than now.

I’m typicality not a fan of underground or elevated walkway systems. In cities where they’ve been installed, they’ve just stolen all the vibrancy from street level and stuck it underground.

However, in Toronto, the PATH has ended up being a true blessing. With sidewalks at rush hour already full, downtown’s office and residential population booming, and RER and the DRL dumping hundreds of thousands of pedestrians into the core, PATH functions as a much needed pedestrian “Relief Line” for the Downtown core.

Nevertheless, the PATH alone cannot provide adequate pedestrian capacity. Yonge Street’s sidewalks will certainly need to be widened to accommodate the growth in pedestrian activity. Bay will also likely need the same treatment between Front and Queen within the next 20 years or so, to facilitate people traveling from Union station north to the Financial District.

And from a purely urban design POV, I’d love for Adelaide and especially Richmond to get the same treatment. Those are two paradoxically dead streets in an otherwise vibrant downtown.

Front and Queens Quay has already been revitalized, King is coming up in 2022/2023, University not long after and then hopefully we can look at Bay. Baby steps!

Last edited:

Back