Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Considering this line is to run above ground in portions I wonder if this has to rule out LIM technology? We know from experience that LIM doesn't cooperate well with our Winters without some major heating infrastructure so I have to wonder what is the deal here. Is it LIM with the expense of rail heaters or will we just replicate the SRT's problems as if we have learnt nothing.

new_map.jpg
Really REALLY Bad idea. These curves look tighter than the Union station curves. Someone clearly did not run this by a transportation engineer, because there is no way in hell that commuters will choose this routing over the existing subway unless you are going to Corktown or old Toronto. I'd estimate that this would add at least 3 minutes to the journey, not including those that result from a technology change.

Man that station at Queen and Parliament is awfully tight. It’s 830 metres between Queen Street and the GO rail corridor. Within those 800 metres, they have to fit two 90-degree turns and a station. I’m not confident the SRT can even make those turns

Just checked Google Earth. The SRT’s Ellesmere turning radius is about 150 metres. So of the 800 metres between Queen and the rail corridor, at least 300 metres is dedicated to the curves, at an extreme minimum. That leaves 500 metres for the station and whatever supporting infrastructure is necessary.

It’s possible, but a tight fit. This arrangement would result in a lot of wear on the train and rails, and significantly reduce travel speeds. And these cars would need to be short.

Man that station at Queen and Parliament is awfully tight. It’s 830 metres between Queen Street and the GO rail corridor. Within those 800 metres, they have to fit two 90-degree turns and a station. I’m not confident the SRT can even make those turns
The existing SRT turn off the rail corridor is about 160m, so a total of 320m needed to make two 90 degree turns. The 500m left over is plenty for a station, which in the case of the SRT are very short, probably 50m or so. I imagine the Ontario Line will have longer platforms though..

The TTC subway system's "minimum" turning radius is 300m, so 600m for two 90 degree turns. Still 300m of room to place a 170m platform.

Really REALLY Bad idea. These curves look tighter than the Union station curves. Someone clearly did not run this by a transportation engineer, because there is no way in hell that commuters will choose this routing over the existing subway unless you are going to Corktown or old Toronto. I'd estimate that this would add at least 3 minutes to the journey, not including those that result from a technology change.

I really don’t see how +300 metres will add 3 mins in travel time, even with the two curves

I really don’t see how +300 metres will add 3 mins in travel time, even with the two curves
Especially considering that a change in vehicle technology is actually likely to speed up service.

I wouldn't be surprised if this plan is actually faster than the city's plan.

That said, god does this route look awkward on a map.

That said, god does this route look awkward on a map.

I know. I keep looking at this map, feeling intuitively that it shouldn’t work, but I think it’s feasible

My top concern right now is capacity. The DRL North was projected to move 20,000 pphpd in 2031, and that’s with the line running just between Osgoode and Sheppard. If the government is planning to use smaller trains, will this thing be able to handle the capacity of a line spanning from Exhibition to Don Mills Station? That’s probably a 25,000 pphpd line right there.

Unless the government can demonstrate that this can move 30,000 pphpd, I’ll be opposing this plan. And frankly, considering population growth, I’m not even comfortable with 30,000 pphpd. With an extension to Sheppard plus population growth, by 2041 we will be exceeding 30k pphpd; that’s barely 10 years after this thing will open. This proposal is shaping up to be Canada Line 2.0

But hey, perhaps it’s better to have over capacity transit than no transit at all?

Last edited:
Thank you @raptor for sharing!

new_map.jpg

This is rather bizarre.

Why is a large southeast portion above ground?! East Harbour is going to be quite dense by the time this thing is built.

The southern dips seem like a great idea, but there isn't even a station on the southernmost portion of the east side. What's the point of doing that?

Back