Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

They wouldn't do it again if they had a chance. Its from a time when they had three competing subway companies.
It might well be from that era, but looking at an 1904 IRT map alone there were five 117th Street stations for that company, let alone other companies, so it's not because there three companies.

It's a simple solution, which avoid the perennial of which Saint is the stop on Queen Street on the University line. Obviously when a line loops and crosses the same street twice, you need different station names. But I can't see any reason trying to confuse people, by not calling the Bathurst stop on the Eglinton or Queen lines as Bathurst.

What was even worse was the proposal this past December to name Lawrence East station on the Line 2 extension through Scarborough as "Nelson Mandela Station". I absolutely respect Mandela as the leader that he was, but seriously, what does he have to do with a subway in Scarborough?

Agreed. That's only a couple steps better than naming it "Pepsi Station".

"Vaughan metropolitan centre" is bad too. Why not just name it "Highway 7"? At least you know it's in Vaughan I guess. We can name plenty of things for Nelson Mandela, parks, schools, but if all more many stations are named after unrelated things, it becomes more difficult to figure out where the stations are.

I just wish they had stuck with the TTC naming convention: ________ Centre. Scarborough Centre Station, North York Centre Station, etc. Even on all my maps today I still just list it as "Vaughan Centre". I'm a Metropolitan denier, hahaha.

Anything that city council touches turns to shit. I'm surprised that Finch West didn't get ruined too. Someone wanted to rename it "University Heights", due to Jane & Finch stigma I guess. Yeah, if anyone really cared about Jane & Finch, how about building that LRT already.

Here are some snippets from our brilliant leaders at that TTC meeting:

Against TTC staff advice, TTC commissioners voted Thursday to rename the Steeles West subway station after Black Creek Pioneer Village. Councillor Anthony Perruzza appeared before the committee and urged councillors to consider the name University Heights for Finch West station and Black Creek Pioneer Village for Steeles West.

TTC commissioner Maria Augimeri moved a motion to change four of the five suggested station names. Her motion suggested the TTC name the stations in the following order heading north: Downsview, Chesswood, University Heights, York University and Black Creek Pioneer Village.

“Really? This is the motion?” Stintz asked Augimeri.

“I would be fully on board with Black Creek Pioneer Village if that’s where the station was but it isn’t,” Parker said.

“That’s actually misleading if we call it Pioneer Village and it is not at Pioneer Village,” he added.
^ Good man

“Black Creek Pioneer Village Station is no where near Black Creek Pioneer Village,” said Stintz.

Parker also balked at naming a station University Heights. “Anthony, you are calling everything University Heights ... but Finch (West) kind of nails it for us,” he said.

“I’m prepared to support the staff recommendation for everything else … maybe we should vote on each one individually and see what kind of scrambled eggs we create,” Milczyn said.

TTC staff warned against using the alternative subway station names.

“The names should not be used as a means of boosting local communities or BIAs or local attractions which may be struggling. Our obligation should be first and foremost to the millions of people who will use the system to give them clear and unambiguous communication.”

“I think Dupont (Station) should be Casa Loma too,” Councillor Josh Colle added.

It might well be from that era, but looking at an 1904 IRT map alone there were five 117th Street stations for that company, let alone other companies, so it's not because there three companies.

It's a simple solution, which avoid the perennial of which Saint is the stop on Queen Street on the University line. Obviously when a line loops and crosses the same street twice, you need different station names. But I can't see any reason trying to confuse people, by not calling the Bathurst stop on the Eglinton or Queen lines as Bathurst.
Call it St. David station (since there are three other stations named after patron saints of the United Kingdom).
Agreed. That's only a couple steps better than naming it "Pepsi Station".

I just wish they had stuck with the TTC naming convention: ________ Centre. Scarborough Centre Station, North York Centre Station, etc. Even on all my maps today I still just list it as "Vaughan Centre". I'm a Metropolitan denier, hahaha.
Me too.
What a joke.
No doubt about that.

I like Josh Colle's joke about renaming Dupont Station.

Call it St. David station (since there are three other stations named after patron saints of the United Kingdom).

Me too.

No doubt about that.

I like Josh Colle's joke about renaming Dupont Station.

Rename St Patrick -> Art Gallery and put up Group of Seven art in the station.

Rename Chester -> Greektown Metropolitan Centre and put up Greek columns all over the station.

Rename St Patrick -> Art Gallery and put up Group of Seven art in the station.

Rename Chester -> Greektown Metropolitan Centre and put up Greek columns all over the station.

failaka_island_greek_ruins_kuwait_post_card-r9dd5810d25d248e99d854707592c0c94_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

Start demolition at Chester, and just leave the ruins without completing it.

Oh wait... they do that already at other stations undergoing renovation.

urbantoronto-1229-3674.jpg

Nothing surprises me anymore with the fiasco that is the TTC. As for odd GO names, how about the mouthful that is "Allandale Waterfront" or the perpetually embarrassing "Old Cummer"?

Just wait until Cummer Station opens on Line 1.

Too bad it's not an interchange station. Yonge-Cummer would have went along perfectly with Old Cummer. Maybe sometime in the future it will be :)

More likely that the TTC chickens out and calls it Drewry, even though precident dictates that it's called Cummer. Sigh...

Why would the precedent call it cummer? The other station on the line that has the street name change at Yonge is named after the western portion. (College)

Why would the precedent call it cummer? The other station on the line that has the street name change at Yonge is named after the western portion. (College)

There's also York Mills (east side) instead of Wilson (west side). Though of course there's a Wilson Station on the Spadina line but that opened after York Mills if I recall correctly.

Personally I'm no fan of the Yonge Richmond Hill extension so I hope that the Cummer Station days aren't coming any time soon.

Back