Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

That would be all fine and good if there was a fareline here. Hell, I wouldn't be making these complaints if there were.

But there isn't, at least on none of these drawings. These areas simply seem to be areas where the elevators, stairs and escalators will reach street level.

Dan

Fare gates circled in red for this Corktown plan.
There does seem to be a lot of wasted space around the elevators.
Curious why the staircase is off to one side and where does it go? Mezzanine?
(and they can't spell "Entrance"?!? twice!)
If that were Vancouver, you'd only have one entrance, one set of fare gates and ticket machines and one elevator.

uEPHlls.png

Last edited:
If that were Vancouver, you'd only have one entrance, one set of fare gates and ticket machines and one elevator.

uEPHlls.png

Raise the crosswalk, especially at intersections, to slow down the traffic. The raised crosswalk becomes a speed hump. =

fig4-2-3-2.jpg

Raised pedestrian crossings at an intersection.
From link.

Last edited:
The area south of the southernmost elevator would be open to below for natural light. Both elevators would be going down to a center platform with entry to the elevator at ground level from a north facing door, and platform exit from the elevator through the southern door. This arrangement make it more accessible but also means there needs to be space to maneuver around to the second elevator.
I would imagine it is going to mezzanine, offset from the middle from ground to mezzanine to allow for elevator placement. Below mezzanine it would be centered on the platform.

It seems like the space they are using is tight to fit turnstiles and doors directly north of the escalators so they split the traffic to each side.

Steve has a summary of the Q and A for the western and northern segment meetings.

Am I the only one thinking that the street-level pavilions are just far too big for what should be used downtown?

I'm not talking about vertical accesses - the footprint of the facilities at ground level could easily be shrunk by more than half and still maintain all of the planned vertical accesses. But why do they need to have so many equipment rooms at ground level, which in theory would be prime retail space? Do they need to have 10 feet of dead space around each of the elevators and escalators?

Dan

Downtown Stations will be busy, having more space at ground level is good. Also rooms etc. above ground rather than below is a good thing that should be encouraged, it saves cost. (NY put massive offices underground on Second Ave Subway which is part of the cost)

uEPHlls.png

Space seems appropriate, people need to be able to navigate with accessibility / mobility aids remember.

Also 2 elevators on bigger systems is pretty standard at this point, even Ottawa has them I think. Redundancy so even when one goes down the station is still accessible.

Steve has a summary of the Q and A for the western and northern segment meetings.

"Station design
Q: Will there be indoor or outdoor retail outdoor retail and food outlets?
A: Exhibition station has a large concourse planned as an amenity for both the general public and transit users. Other stations have minimal provision for retail, although this could be included in future development. More details are to come including reference concepts. This ties into civil work contracts."

So it could be a mini version of Union, I hope

"Station design
Q: Will there be indoor or outdoor retail outdoor retail and food outlets?
A: Exhibition station has a large concourse planned as an amenity for both the general public and transit users. Other stations have minimal provision for retail, although this could be included in future development. More details are to come including reference concepts. This ties into civil work contracts."

So it could be a mini version of Union, I hope
Yep.

1632354903134.png

uEPHlls.png

Hmm, I guess I should have looked closer - those most absolutely look like farelines. Thank you for pointing that out.

Dan

The thing that caught my attention the most was this:

"There will be a minimum of two street to platform elevator paths. Exhibition station has about 14 elevators"

I guess that probably meant no escalators then.
Not with GO's usual designs ...

With two tunnels, and overpass, and two island platforms, you'd need 4 elevators for each crossing. So that's 12 there. Two more if they add the proposed third tunnel (bridge?) further east - making 15 if they include a connection from the third tunnel to the GO island.

"There will be a minimum of two street to platform elevator paths. Exhibition station has about 14 elevators"
two elevators a platform, of which there will be four, two on the south side, and two each on either side of East Liberty Street. That gets you to 14.

Is that really necessary?

I thought one of the big problems with going underground was the time it would take to get to the surface. If they were going to put elevators everywhere in the first place, I guess the point was irrelevant? :p

Last edited:
Is that really necessary?

I thought one of the big problems with going underground was the time it would take to get to the surface. If they were going to put elevators everywhere in the first place the point was irrelevant? :p
I suspect the elevators are for redundancy, so that unlike today, those that need the elevators won't be told out of luck if it goes down.

Back