News   Dec 03, 2021
 672     0 
News   Dec 03, 2021
 560     1 
News   Dec 03, 2021
 478     0 

Ontario Line (was Relief Line South, in Design)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

A major developer had plans to build an office community in Liberty Village. Now the province wants half his land for the Ontario Line

Mon., July 12, 2021

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
Given that they've clearly showed his building in the renderings for the new station, and that the south part of his property is taken up by the new city street, and not the station, I don't know why Metrolinx is even involved.

Surely all they need is temporary usage of the parking lot.

Metrolinx's continued incompetence is amazing.

View attachment 332214
Its not Metrolinx, its Infrastructure Ontario. The TOD program falls under them.

I don't understand why the developer is against this. If he just worked with IO, he would probably secure more density than the City would allow, and be backed up by an MZO in the event that the city refuses the proposal. It's really a win-win for any developer, especially with the opportunity to integrate a station or station access within their property - unless they had no plans on redeveloping any time soon.

Last edited:

asher__jo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Its not Metrolinx, its Infrastructure Ontario. The TOD program falls under them.

I don't understand why the developer is against this. If he just worked with IO, he would probably secure more density than the City would allow, and be backed up by an MZO in the event that the city refuses the proposal. It's really a win-win for any developer, especially with the opportunity to integrate a station or station access within their property - unless they had no plans on redeveloping any time soon.
An uncertain regulatory environment will scare off investors.

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score

From the GO Construction Projects thread from a few days back, I found the drawings on the engage site.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
This type of story could also be posturing by the developer to try and get a better price for any expropriated land.
They’re just sitting on the land till it’s profitable. The article also mention they bought up multiple properties in the area.

dullturtle06

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the GO Construction Projects thread from a few days back, I found the drawings on the engage site.

so looks like the blue platforms in the drawing are 100m already and looks like there is room to make them longer by at least another 20m. hopefully they future proof the OL for 120m platform length at the underground stations as well.

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score

Thanks!

EnviroTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
What is happening to the Toronto Star? Two won't you please think of the poor investors and developers owning large tracts of land in downtown Toronto inconvenienced by the Ontario Line articles in about a week. Did either of these developers even have a published plan of what they were going to be building or were they really just sitting on it speculating?

toronto647

Member Bio
Reaction score
What is happening to the Toronto Star? Two won't you please think of the poor investors and developers owning large tracts of land in downtown Toronto inconvenienced by the Ontario Line articles in about a week. Did either of these developers even have a published plan of what they were going to be building or were they really just sitting on it speculating?
It seems for some reason Toronto Star has some serious beef with Metrolinx and the Ontario Line. Every week they are posting an article criticizing it. I wonder if they have a published from leslieville or some connections who are being impacted financially. Since when did Toronto Star care about multi million speculative investors and not the every day citizen. something seems fishy with the Toronto Star.

Undead

Member Bio
Reaction score
It seems for some reason Toronto Star has some serious beef with Metrolinx and the Ontario Line. Every week they are posting an article criticizing it. I wonder if they have a published from leslieville or some connections who are being impacted financially. Since when did Toronto Star care about multi million speculative investors and not the every day citizen. something seems fishy with the Toronto Star.

It's because the line was Ford's idea. It's the same partisan thing as the Post bashing Trudeau.

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Random observation: On social media I've noticed that a lot of people seem to think that the Ontario Line is some sort of modern reincarnation of the Scarbrough RT. I've seen comments in the vein of "we don't need another stupid RT line" on various posts over the past few months. Seems that many members of the public heard that the OL uses smaller trains, and jumped to the conclusion that this was the same tech as the SRT.

Steve Munro

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's because the line was Ford's idea. It's the same partisan thing as the Post bashing Trudeau.
There are a few things going on here. First, Metrolinx talks a good line about working with the private sector and especially about Transit Oriented Communities, but they prefer to just take property and maximize profits for themselves to offset capital costs. With Corktown Station, it's City land for the most part, and they expect the City to just roll over. East Harbour is partly City land too, and the story coming out of Cadillac Fairview is that Metrolinx is not exactly easy to deal with - disorganized and arbitrary. In Liberty Village, they notified the landowners a year ago according to the Star, but don't seem to have been working on much of a compromise. For its part the City has not helped by trying to keep the land as "employment" rather than "residential". I have no doubt that once Mlx gets their hands on it, there will be an MZO substantially increasing its value AFTER they have paid for it based on current zoning and development potential. Another point here is that Mlx seems to be treating commercial landholders with the same cavalier attitude they use on single family residential owners. The bigger picture is that Mlx throws its weight around because they know QP will back them up so that Ford's pet project will be built. And Ford deserves to be bashed as often as possible.