News   Oct 22, 2021
 46     0 
News   Oct 22, 2021
 200     0 
News   Oct 22, 2021
 415     0 

Ontario Line (was Relief Line South, in Design)

superelevation

Member Bio
Reaction score
It may just be regrading at the bridge/underpass locations.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was at the request of the City.
I don't think that aligns with the "Metrolinx is evil/trying to hide things" narrative
Big Change (increasing the height of the rail berm by 0.9 - 1.6M)

Not announced; but quietly shown.......

Suggests that it might not withstand scrutiny.

Very disruptive to the existing corridor, and adjacent areas.

Very expensive.

Doesn't just add costs for the work; changes the height of the sound barriers; changes the shadow impacts...........etc etc.

Also, how do you deal w/the fact some of the bridges are historical? Can the existing walls simply have height added in a similar style?

SMH.
I say cancel the project, wouldn't want to give up the historic bridges

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think that aligns with the "Metrolinx is evil/trying to hide things" narrative

I say cancel the project, wouldn't want to give up the historic bridges

Why do you insist in engaging in disrespectful hyperbole?

Please don't.

Kindly, engage constructively and politely.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't see how making sarcastic comments about Metrolinx is an issue.

I didn't read it that way.

It was a post responding to a quote of my post, and the sarcasm seemed aimed, at least in part, at a point I raised; not one Mx raised.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Says the user who claims that raising the tracks by a 1.6 meters is VERY expensive and disruptive and casts big shadows!

Excuse me? What's with the hostility.

I report facts.

A 1.6M increase in track elevation is a 1.6M boost in the height of the sound barrier.

The shadow impact IS statistically significant, depending on the time of year, and the object. A 1.6M increase is (potentially) over 30M (90ft of additional shadow).(well over, but I'm trying to omit brief points in time and look at a peak period, averaged)

Feel free to do the calculation yourself:

My argument is neither for, nor against.

It is to consider the facts; and to consider whether a proponent is being forthcoming about same.

Additionally, the shadow is not disruptive, the construction involved in raising a large railway berm by that height, when it is part of a busy rail corridor would be. I also reference a well known local expert in transit, Steve Munro in saying as much.

My record here speaks for itself.

Reactions: syn

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
Says the user who claims that raising the tracks by a 1.6 meters is VERY expensive and disruptive and casts big shadows!

Wasn't RER supposed to be finished 2.5yrs from now (2024)? Adding in an elevation change of 5.5ft at the last minute seems pretty substantial. Whether it's designing stations, dealing with locals, all the plans for landscaping/hardscaping, added costs. IMO it's a pretty big change for this point in time, or at least it should be for a project that was a done deal years ago.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Wasn't RER supposed to be finished 2.5yrs from now (2024)? Adding in an elevation change of 5.5ft at the last minute seems pretty substantial. Whether it's designing stations, dealing with locals, all the plans for landscaping/hardscaping, added costs. IMO it's a pretty big change for this point in time, or at least it should be for a project that was a done deal years ago.
RER Was never expected to be done that early even at project outset and even the original completion date (2025) hasn't been the goal for years now.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
as for shadows from an additional 1.5m of height - it's pretty marginal at best. 30m of extra shadows may occur in December when shadows are so impossibly long already that most areas of the city are already in shadow from other objects (trees, etc) as shadows are just insanely long that time of year due to the low angle of the sun. Between the spring and fall equinoxes, the standard period to measure shadow impacts, 1.6m of additional height would be nearly imperceptible.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Excuse me? What's with the hostility.

I report facts.

A 1.6M increase in track elevation is a 1.6M boost in the height of the sound barrier.

The shadow impact IS statistically significant, depending on the time of year, and the object. A 1.6M increase is (potentially) over 30M (90ft of additional shadow).(well over, but I'm trying to omit brief points in time and look at a peak period, averaged)

Feel free to do the calculation yourself:

My argument is neither for, nor against.

It is to consider the facts; and to consider whether a proponent is being forthcoming about same.

Additionally, the shadow is not disruptive, the construction involved in raising a large railway berm by that height, when it is part of a busy rail corridor would be. I also reference a well known local expert in transit, Steve Munro in saying as much.

My record here speaks for itself.
You're right. A 1.6M increase in the transparent sound barrier will create a shadow.

ekoglass_big.jpg
From link.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
You're right. A 1.6M increase in the transparent sound barrier will create a shadow.

ekoglass_big.jpg
From link.

I don't believe we've seen a design spec on the sound barrier proposed for the LSE.

But I've never seen Mx use this particular design.

They did attempt some transparency along the Weston Corridor in the Junction area; I'm not sure they were happy w/the result.

The most recent sound barriers that went up in the Stouffville corridor were not transparent.

That said, even this type of barrier does cast a shadow, albeit it, one through which much light does pass.

Model used in the Junction:

1624372593658.png

I know there are some shots, probably by Drum of the barriers in use on the Stouffville Corridor, but I must get some work done atm.

Last edited:

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
The local group opposing the above-ground portion in Toronto Danforth us trying to fundraise $20k for this.

Save Jimmie Simpson is partnering with the South Riverdale Community Health Centre to commission a Health Impact Assessment (HIA). This study is being conducted by Ronald Macfarlane, a renowned environmental health expert. During his 20-year tenure at Toronto Public Health, Ronald has authored numerous public health publications and led a number of HIAs.

The HIA will explore public health risks that may be associated with the above ground vs. underground Ontario Line, which Metrolinx refuses to even consider. This study is significant as it will present evidence that policymakers cannot dismiss, plus fill the gaps in Metrolinx’s totally inadequate environmental assessment. We hope to complete the HIA well before the ‘early works’ construction so that its findings may be reflected in the final Ontario Line design.

In order to pay for this vital study, we have launched a GoFundMe campaign. Our group has managed to do a lot of excellent community education and advocacy using the time and expertise of its volunteer members, but we now need our friends and neighbours to assist us financially in this David vs. Goliath battle.

The money we raise will help pay for:
- Costs of the HIA
- Any additional quantitative work required (namely, noise and vibration studies either substandard or entirely missing from Metrolinx’s environmental assessment)
- Public and policymaker education once the HIA is completed
- Communicating the results to build public awareness and pressure Metrolinx to take our concerns seriously.

Because we are an advocacy organization that takes political stands, we are unable to access charitable donations. If there are excess funds at the end of our campaign, we will donate them to local community services such as Ralph Thornton Community Centre and South Riverdale Community Health Centre.

You can make a donation here: https://ca.gofundme.com/f/Ontarioline.

GoFundMe suggests a 12.5% tip to the platform, but this is not necessary. Thank you in advance for your support!