Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

This is pretty cringe. As someone who spent years arguing in favour of transitioning to nimbler narrow-bodied trains in various threads, I can't say I've seen any of you argue in favour of such outside of this thread. SSE, YNSE, Sheppard. All will be hulking TRs, 6-cars long, hugely excess capacity, entirely underground to boot. No mention of the ills of the TR elsewhere?
I and others have absolutely complained about them in other places, but as mentioned clearly the argument and value judgement are not the same for an extension . . .

By 'transition to' I meant a standalone line vs extension. All the points continually made by a group of posters (TR bad, tunneling bad, 6-car too big, too excess capacity, high cost, extreme depth, low density, etc)...they all hold true for suburban extensions. Doubly so in many instances. And there's truth to their points. Not like we're talking a few mil here - these extensions are some of the world's most expensive transit projects, with further extensions to be had in the future. Yet outside the RL/OL thread I haven't seen them mention any of their points, which is pretty backwards.
I and others have long argued for lines like Eglinton West to be above ground, nobody is saying the problem with the TRs is excess capacity and nobody is arguing the OL is low density. If Berlin / Paris can handle as many riders as Line 1 or 2 with much smaller trains maybe we have something to learn . . .

But Kennedy isn't. You're going almost directly north.

I've never seen it as any different than transferring at St. George to go north or south.

Spending many billions of dollars to eliminate this particular transfer clearly seems like a poor use of available resources.
Kennedy is a linear transfer, riders come in on BD going Northeast, and the majority exit the SRT Northeast of Kennedy.

It doesn’t just eliminate the transfer, most bus riders are northeast of Kennedy, so you are shortening a large number of bus trips as well, and yes removing the very bad transfer.

I and others have absolutely complained about them in other places, but as mentioned clearly the argument and value judgement are not the same for an extension . . .

I and others have long argued for lines like Eglinton West to be above ground, nobody is saying the problem with the TRs is excess capacity and nobody is arguing the OL is low density. If Berlin / Paris can handle as many riders as Line 1 or 2 with much smaller trains maybe we have something to learn . . .

Kennedy is a linear transfer, riders come in on BD going Northeast, and the majority exit the SRT Northeast of Kennedy.

It doesn’t just eliminate the transfer, most bus riders are northeast of Kennedy, so you are shortening a large number of bus trips as well, and yes removing the very bad transfer.
Eglinton West LRT is underground only because it is in Doug Ford's neighbourhood (Kipling & Eglinton) and Doug Ford is Premier and paying for part of it.

They do?

I don't think the numbers bear that out. The majority of riders using the SRT are going to STC, but that's not the majority of riders at Kennedy.

They do?

I don't think the numbers bear that out. The majority of riders using the SRT are going to STC, but that's not the majority of riders at Kennedy.
I said this sometime last week but just from experience, I don't think there's anyone direction a majority of riders at Kennedy go. The largest share after the subway is def the set, and then I would have to say probably one of the many Eglinton east busses, followed by busses headed north, then west, then south, and then go riders. This is all just guesses based on where I see people go though I could be wildly off.

“When you’re looking at land values, the reason employment areas are considered (protected) is because if you introduce other uses there, like residential, which has a higher land value, then everyone will only want to build residential,” city councillor Paula Fletcher (Toronto-Danforth) said in an interview.

This is exactly why Vancouver has a moratorium on residential constuction inthe central busines district, and why, in Metro Vancouver's suburban town centres (each connected on the SkyTrain lines), they have become bedroom communities, not employment centres.

Interesting and ironic that the old Hillcrest racetrack became the MSF for the TTC. The old Thorncliffe racetrack may become a neighbour to the Ontario Line MSF.

14311502_1201485279921454_4166948284524953229_o.jpg

From link.

I don't blame these people at all. Seriously, why would they expect trains in their neighbourhoods just because they live beside a train track??

Ford should just cancel the whole damn project and let Toronto pay for it all and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he did. He has no seats from inner-city Toronto and building a subway won't change that so he is using up a lot of political capitol {and a hell of a lot of money that could be used to bribe voters elsewhere} and getting nothing but a headache for his effort.

For these idiots that want to stop the Ford subway plan they better be careful lest Ford decides to oblige them.

I don't blame these people at all. Seriously, why would they expect trains in their neighbourhoods just because they live beside a train track??

Ford should just cancel the whole damn project and let Toronto pay for it all and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he did. He has no seats from inner-city Toronto and building a subway won't change that so he is using up a lot of political capitol {and a hell of a lot of money that could be used to bribe voters elsewhere} and getting nothing but a headache for his effort.

For these idiots that want to stop the Ford subway plan they better be careful lest Ford decides to oblige them.
thats jokes considering Ford is the only one forcing this project down everyones throats.

thats jokes considering Ford is the only one forcing this project down everyones throats.
After seeing what other cities have done over the past decade or so (Even some western ones) with even less funding, the Ontario Line is the least we can build to get up to speed and encourage development in the city.

Back