News   Mar 05, 2021
 147     0 
News   Mar 04, 2021
 2.7K     7 
News   Mar 04, 2021
 983     0 

Ontario Line (was Relief Line South, in Design)

allengeorge

Member Bio
Reaction score
To follow up this is a quick n crude sketch of what I think a hypothetical Broadview South station could look like if aligned perpendicular to the GO tracks, thus allowing for future southward expasnion. I didn't measure the curves but they seem more than ample, the station would possibly be stacked (i.e - e/b and w/b on top of one another), and the proposed GO station...possibly nonexistent or moved east or west. Obviously this is fantasy stuff, but what isn't at this point. And it's a blank slate down there so now would be the time to propose something large and obtrusive like flyovers.

Naturally the bonus of this is if major sites were to come to the eastern waterfront in the distant future (e.g new NHL arena), or a change in land use with the closing of BB, the area could be served directly with a southward extension of the subway line.

View attachment 296365
The Overlea routing was partially reconsidered to allow the MSF to be along the line (as opposed to on a spur). If they’re doing that for the MSF, there’s no way the above will be considered.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Something tells me that these same people won't be complaining when the line is done and their property has doubled in value due to being at a subway station. They are crying now but in 10 years they will be laughing..........all the way to the bank.
They're crying because they could have gotten an even bigger windfall if it were buried.

ssiguy2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ford should just ignore all these people and get on with it like Klein did with the NW LRT. He wanted it built for the Olympics and there was a lot of resistance from some areas and he basically just told them to go to hell and went ahead regardless.

In the OL case it is even more extreme because these elevated portion is along a currently used rail corridor. I hate it when people bitch about the noise of railways or highways when they choose to move right beside one.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ford has been ignoring these people, that's why there's a problem.

When it comes to downtown Toronto it's crystal clear Ford isn't 'For The People'. He's for doing whatever he wants.
Well sorry to the people of Leslieville that he's building an above ground line in an EXISTING RAIL CORRIDOR THAT ISN'T EVEN IN LESLIEVILLE PROPER.

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Something tells me that these same people won't be complaining when the line is done and their property has doubled in value due to being at a subway station. They are crying now but in 10 years they will be laughing..........all the way to the bank.
Some of them actually say their property values will be "gutted." I can see a decrease near-term (through the construction years), but no way will there be a permanent decrease. This is like winning the property lottery in some ways.

I also had friends recently move out of Guelph's Junction nabe as they felt Metrolinx's plans in the area would decrease their values substantially too. So it does seem ingrained in some people, despite not being generally true.

Last edited:

syn

Member Bio
Reaction score
For a lot of people this is a community issue - isn't just about property values.

This is what happens when you gut plans that were years in the making in cooperation with the community in favour of doing whatever you want.

Once Ford and the Conservatives dedicated themselves to burying extensions at additional cost in less dense areas of the city (EWLRT & SSE), this was destined to be the result.

Last edited:

SunriseChampion

Member Bio
Reaction score
No, they're just spoilt bougie folk. Nothing new or surprising. The "neighbourhood character" squad. It's all the same folk. Can't have shelters. Can't have multi-family homes. Can't have public transit. This highway cutting the lake off from the city is fine though.

Property values sinking. In Toronto. Because of added necessary infrastructure. Negative impacts to "community" and "character".

Yeah....cool story, tell it again.

syn

Member Bio
Reaction score
No, they're just spoilt bougie folk. Nothing new or surprising. The "neighbourhood character" squad. It's all the same folk. Can't have shelters. Can't have multi-family homes. Can't have public transit. This highway cutting the lake off from the city is fine though.

Property values sinking. In Toronto. Because of added necessary infrastructure. Negative impacts to "community" and "character".

Yeah....cool story, tell it again.

Your impression of Leslieville seems deeply disconnected from reality.

Ironically our illustrious Premier and his family are known for voting against shelters.

SunriseChampion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Your impression of Leslieville seems deeply disconnected from reality.
Is it? So, it's a poor, working-class neighbourhood where most people rent?

Or what am I not understanding about it?

I mean, it's possible, I've spent most of the last 20 years attempting to disconnect from reality.

Yeah, might be because our "illustrious" premier is also a spoilt NIMBY tit.

Not sure why you bring him up though and him voting against shelters as if implying that someone calling out Leslieville locals for being spoilt NIMBY prats makes one automatically enamoured with our premier.

Nice try though.

syn

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is it? So, it's a poor, working-class neighbourhood where most people rent?

Or what am I not understanding about it?

I mean, it's possible, I've spent most of the last 20 years attempting to disconnect from reality.

You don't think there are any multi-family homes in Leslieville?

No transit?

No shelters?