Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

For a line that was the pride of someone touting Subways, Subways, Subways, this is very much not sounding like a subway.

Reactions: syn
For a line that was the pride of someone touting Subways, Subways, Subways, this is very much not sounding like a subway.

Its funny how language has such a huge effect on policy and culture.

If we had adopted the phrase Metro instead of subway, perhaps people wouldn't have an obsession and fetishization of tunneling our mass transit.

If we had adopted the phrase Metro instead of subway, perhaps people wouldn't have an obsession and fetishization of tunneling our mass transit.

Not really. For example, if they had referred to the SRT as a Subway line, then the public would understand how a tunnel is not the only way to go. It is just like if they had labeled all new LRTs as Streetcars, there would not be the confusion.

Not really. For example, if they had referred to the SRT as a Subway line, then the public would understand how a tunnel is not the only way to go. It is just like if they had labeled all new LRTs as Streetcars, there would not be the confusion.

Ok but if my grandmother had wheels she would be a bicycle.

Why would anyone refer to the SRT as a subway? Thats exactly my point, they wouldn't. Which creates a linguistic distinction between the subway system and the SRT.

If however we called the subway system a Metro, you could more logically call the SRT a Metro as well, and there would not be such a compartmentation between the two systems.

The words we use affect our patterns of behaviors and how we view the world.

Why would anyone refer to the SRT as a subway? Thats exactly my point, they wouldn't. Which creates a linguistic distinction between the subway system and the SRT.

If however we called the subway system a Metro, you could more logically call the SRT a Metro as well, and there would not be such a compartmentation between the two systems.

I deserve a Starbucks because I'm a millennial.

If the line is catenary powered they (Metrolinx) might as well just choose the Alstom Citadis Spirit instead of they really wanted to save money, those trains have a maximum speed of 105km/h and can be configured as long as 60m

View attachment 289595
Please no, Ottawa choosing what are basically low floor trams for its metro system was a shot in the foot for the whole network

Actually London nearly got an Underground, or at least a mini one.

Part of the original rapid transit proposal was a three-quarter km LRT tunnel with 2 stations under Richmond but the blow-back was huge. It would have required the demolition of many historic buildings and would have taken ages to build because of it. In the process it would have demolished much of the the street which is the city's premier entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district. The area further up would have been at-grade along thin Richmond Street thru the city's tony Old North. Even Western fought against it. It was so politically unpalatable that they never even managed to get a BRT down the route.

Language definitely has that power to shape perceptions. Like most people support estate tax but hate the death tax (despite being the exact same policy).

Metro is simply the French term for Subway. Why do you think Montreal does not have a Subway?

Ironically, Vancouver did things right. All likes are referred to as Skytrain, even though the Canada Line is different than the rest.

Back