News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 807     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     0 

Ontario Line North of Eglinton (was Relief Line North) (Speculation)

I mean, part of the EELRT will be on Sheppard. Between Morningside and McCowan if that is what your referring to. That part was recently added to the plan around last year or so.

View attachment 509997
Yeah, this is what I meant. If Sheppard is for sure to remain a subway, yet we know LRT is being contemplated for “Sheppard”, we do have this to go off of as a basis. I was trying to say we may see the Sheppard portion of Eg East as pictured spun off into a seperate project and enlarged. Who knows.

Even if the golden mile sections operates like a glorified street car the majority of the route will be quite speedy. A lot of those riders will be transferring at the Ontario line station. the big mistake was the Leslie station and I don’t know how they fix that.
It might be tough to fix without doing major work on the Eglinton bridge over the West Don.

But I think what you could do, is remove the turn from the southern eastbound Eglinton lanes. But add a third lane on the northside. If you make it just an eastbound turning lane, it can rejoin the other eastbound lanes - at one end at the Don Mills portal, and the other at the other at the portal just west of the West Don.

I think there is barely enough space under the railway tracks, if you make the lanes marrow, and remove the pedestrian sidewalk.

But if they weren't going underground, I don't know why simply couldn't have put the LRT on the south side of the road between the two portals.

there are disruptions on the subway system currently with suicides and other random things. You can spend a fortune and nothing is perfect. The west part of this line being grade separated makes the east side stick out. I really did not like the man but the fact is Rob Fords conversion was the best plan after we wanted subways subways subways.
Line 4 could have been built with PSDs. For a greenfield subway project, the cost of PSDs is trivial.

Edit: I meant Line 5. Sorry for the confusion. Line 4 is water well under the bridge.

Last edited:
But it would have involved either buying a dedicated new fleet compatible with a new type of signaling system or retrofitting the old fleet for the same purpose, right? Not trivial.

The only other “subway” I can think of is the Hurontario LRT extension to downtown Brampton, which is at the 30% design stage. To preserve 5 seats, especially against a Bonnie Crombie Liberal party, I could see it suddenly being funded – even if I still prefer a surface alignment as originally planned.

The only other “subway” I can think of is the Hurontario LRT extension to downtown Brampton, which is at the 30% design stage. To preserve 5 seats, especially against a Bonnie Crombie Liberal party, I could see it suddenly being funded – even if I still prefer a surface alignment as originally planned.
On the flip side, I could see a successful smear campaign against any politician that would give the go ahead for that project. Almost $1B/km LRT in neighbourhoods around 3-4k residents per square kilometre ?? That is a gross misuse of provincial funds.

Campaigning for reelection is only 24 months away and need to start rolling out goodies to stay in power and this is what I see.

OL going north to Finch
Brampton getting their subway
Mississauga getting the dumb loop
Plans announce to extend the Sheppard white elephant to McGowan and to Downsview along with funding
Hamilton finally get their LRT out the ground.
Full steam for 413
TTC gets funds to replace the T1's
First GO Line being electrify
The long over due Crosstown Ribbon cutting tacking place
Durham Region gets more BRT lines along with construction of the extension of the LSW line.
ONR gets a few more train sets
More funding for other transit systems other than the GTA.
Ottawa gets a helping hand for its LRT phase 3 extension
More weekend service for GO along with 15 minute ADS.

That tunnel through downtown Brampton is pretty egregious. I think that could blow up in their faces if they went ahead with it.

On the flip side, I could see a successful smear campaign against any politician that would give the go ahead for that project. Almost $1B/km LRT in neighbourhoods around 3-4k residents per square kilometre ?? That is a gross misuse of provincial funds.
It would be a far better solution to make Main St a transit mall and reroute car traffic around it, leaving a one-way street for vehicle access, not through movements. That would cost far less. We could build a new hospital in Brampton for the money this would save...

2 quick questions:

1. Is this funded in any way? I remember seeing something about the planning stage being funded but no actual financing structure in place.

2. Will there be an "A" route and "B" route depending on if the train will go to Markham Centre or McCowan?

2 quick questions:

1. Is this funded in any way? I remember seeing something about the planning stage being funded but no actual financing structure in place.

2. Will there be an "A" route and "B" route depending on if the train will go to Markham Centre or McCowan?
1. No funding has been announced, but if anything it will likely be funded out of general revenue by the province, with possible contribution from the federal and municipal governments.
2. No one knows at this point. It's entirely possible the first phase of the extension will just be to Sheppard/Don Mills. The provincial government is hinting at possible interlining with a 407 line that will run west to Pearson and down to Kipling. There has been no mention of branching service.

Back