News   Apr 19, 2024
 491     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.7K     3 

Ontario Line Extension West of Ontario Place (Speculation)

There's not much of anything to serve along the Lakeshore in Mississauga until you hit Cawthra, and then after that Hurontario itself. Even the 23 Lakeshore only runs every 20 minutes on average because the usage is so sparse.
This was just proposed at Eglinton and Warden along the LRT:

Now I am not saying that this is the kind of density I am anticipating, but it is the argument for why I think the western line should follow a Queensway alignment as opposed to a Lakeshore alignment. You can build high-densities along the Queensway possibly ranging up to 50s adjacent to the Gardiner. You aren't getting more than 11 storeys on the parcels fronting on Lakeshore, and definitely not breaking into those stable neighbourhoods.

Reactions: syn
I wish they'd considering extending the line westward from Ontario Place to Humber Bay. Would provide much faster downtown service than the Waterfront LRT which I've given up hope on ever seeing in my lifetime.

I wish they'd considering extending the line westward from Ontario Place to Humber Bay. Would provide much faster downtown service than the Waterfront LRT which I've given up hope on ever seeing in my lifetime.

I'd rather see that served by a local GO RER route instead. The necessary trackage is there, all that's needed is the station. To me, the Ontario Line should extend along rail corridors that aren't likely to see RER service for one reason or another, mainly Richmond Hill and Milton. The technology to be used will likely be a lot more flexible than mainline rail, and will be able to be elevated over and dip under/around the existing rail corridor will be a huge plus.

The necessary trackage is there, all that's needed is the station. To me, the Ontario Line should extend along rail corridors that aren't likely to see RER service for one reason or another, mainly Richmond Hill and Milton.
With the first Milton line station west of Union being at Kipling, then the Ontario Line could both serve Humber Bay before joining the Milton line before Kipling.

But perhaps there's a different line that could run along that corridor west of Kipling.

I'd rather see that served by a local GO RER route instead. The necessary trackage is there, all that's needed is the station. To me, the Ontario Line should extend along rail corridors that aren't likely to see RER service for one reason or another, mainly Richmond Hill and Milton. The technology to be used will likely be a lot more flexible than mainline rail, and will be able to be elevated over and dip under/around the existing rail corridor will be a huge plus.

We can thank the automobile-addicted politicians from before 1972 deciding that a station at Roncesvalles and Queen was not needed.

20140606-Stations-Sunnyside.jpg

From link.

Some notes from the article- would be interesting to see if we can get some more information at the end of the month.

Still wondering what ways the Ontario Line can be delivered close to the near-impossible 2027 deadline- probably the expediation and bypassing of a lot of the pre-construction studies, and phased design and construction? It would be some welcome news for Ford if he can get some semblance of shovels in the ground by the time the next election rolls around.

Andrew Buttigieg, a spokesperson for Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek, told the Star in an email the government is working to complete “a refined and detailed business case” for the Ontario Line by the end of the month, and “final dates and schedules will be informed by the ongoing planning, design and other work.”

Still, he said the province would “deliver the Ontario Line by 2027.”
He wouldn’t say which specific route options the province is considering or whether it would reimburse the city for work the TTC was doing on the project.

“The city’s previous planning on the relief line is being utilized and we’re working with Infrastructure Ontario to look at new, innovative ways to get transit built faster, and at less cost,” he added.

On a side note, "Buttigieg" is a great name.

With the first Milton line station west of Union being at Kipling, then the Ontario Line could both serve Humber Bay before joining the Milton line before Kipling.

But perhaps there's a different line that could run along that corridor west of Kipling.

Currently yes, but with a different technology infill stations could be added. I'd have the line veer northwest under the rail corridor with an underground station at Queen & Dufferin, a surface station at Dundas, an additional platform at Bloor, and stations at Keele, Jane, and Royal York before hitting Kipling. Where the corridor is space-constrained, it could be elevated above it.

For years posters have talked about the importance of having the DRL reach Dufferin, ideally with the western end of the platforms leading to an exit on the west side of Dufferin at or around Queen and the east end of the platforms touching the south side of Queen and Gladstone with direct access to the ST Liberty Village station. That would also make a station possible at Bathurst and Queen and one at Queen and Shaw, making Ossington and Trinity-Bellwood’s Park more accessible. The DRL would veer slightly southeast from the Liberty Village ST station to a final stop under the CNE, with an exit on the north side of Lakeshore and one at the Exhibition GO.

The cheapest way to touch both the Lakeshore West GO line and the Georgetown GO line is to simply interline the DRL southwest of the currently planned King and Bathurst station onto the existing rail corridor, with a Train A hitting Exhibition GO, and alternating with it, a Train B hitting the Liberty Village ST on the Georgetown line. The only question is whether a train could actually switch from the northernmost set of tracks to the southern Lakeshore West tracks in the short distance between Bathurst and the Ordnance Triangle. Is that doable? If it isn’t, I think it would be ideal for the DRL to connect with both of those lines (and even the Milton line?), though I suppose the Lakeshore West line is the most critical connection.

Last edited:
If there going to take the rail line route starting at Gerrard Street to go to East Harbour. Might as well expedite this project even faster and cheaper by continuing the same train line route to stop at Union Station and the Exhibition and Beyond. As this can be seen in the photo below where I drew it in pink . Small stops can be created between main street areas such as Parliament st, Jarvis st, John streets, Spadina Ave where I marked it in Black. These these new subway stops would be more than adequate to serve the People on both sides over the rail line areas. And there's a lot of development plus entertainment venues etc that's happening or going to happen in that area in the future to serve the public from the EX right to East Harbor, Lower Don park locations. Not to mention rail deck Park another future deck parks it would run underneath. So it will be underground anyway haha! PS if the union Pearson line can run on those tracks why not the subway. The Queens Street project could be put on hold for now build that later. And this would be a good compromise solution being a half smart track and Subway that John Tory and Doug Ford can relate to.

Last edited:

Back