News   Apr 26, 2024
 653     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 

Ontario election predictions, anyone?

I voted Liberal for the first time ever. I usually vote NDP but I don't like Horwath and her promises, especially the ones to freeze prices at gas stations and electricity prices and remove HST on gas, which imo are just crazy and not really benefit the poor.

It was a populist plank, not a progressive one. In the name of defending "working families", they're actually giving a big tax breaks to affluent households who have the biggest homes to heat, etc. And it deprives the government of about $1 billion in revenue.

If they wanted to benefit "working families" or the working poor, etc....I don't see how saving the rich households on their energy bills does much for them. Better to keep it in place, but have more generous tax credits for the most needy in place.

Last edited:
How long do you all think McGuinty will stay on as Premier before stepping down for his successor? The timing seems right if McGuinty can finish a lot of his growth policies and legacy projects that he may run for the Federal leadership. Dalton McGuinty Prime Minister? Sounds right to me.

How long do you all think McGuinty will stay on as Premier before stepping down for his successor? The timing seems right if McGuinty can finish a lot of his growth policies and legacy projects that he may run for the Federal leadership. Dalton McGuinty Prime Minister? Sounds right to me.

It's a stretch to say that he'll be running at the Federal level, but McGuinty staying on until his projects have had a chance to develop is definitely something to look forward to.

It's a stretch to say that he'll be running at the Federal level,

I don't think it is, if you look deeper. He's also surrounding himself by the likes of John Manley and Warren Kinsella, both closer advisers to Jean Chretien. It's clear that the Liberal party needs to look to well known successful Liberals that are hardened campaigners, rather than new faces who are easily moulded in the public view by the Conservative negative ad machine.

Dalton got 3 terms as Premier so it's safe to say that he's electable and he's likeable. McGuinty has a proven track record, speaks french fluently and can win Ontario and Quebec. Give him a few more areas in the country and he can win the Liberals enough seats to defeat the Tories in the next Federal election.

The question is "will he run for the nomination?" Where do successful politicians go in their mid 50's? The answer is: to the next level, in this case, that's 24 Sussex Dr.

Last edited:
Record low voter turnout in Ontario!

"With voter turnout in Thursday’s provincial election dropping to an all-time low, political scientists, pundits and the public are serving up explanations for why fewer than 50 per cent of eligible voters cast a ballot.

Of a population over 13 million, roughly 4.1 million — or 49.2 per cent of eligible voters — filled out ballots, according to Elections Ontario. The last time fewer than 50 per cent of eligible voters showed up to vote was 1975."

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-low-voter-turnout-raises-question-marks?bn=1
That's what you get with nondescript leaders and no burning issue(s). And it was probably closer to 40% turnout in the GTA.

By contrast, the Toronto election was filled with personalities and intrigue, and had a high turnout based on recent municipal standards. What a difference a year makes.

There may have also been some election burnout with three in one year.

I'm not sure that it would be very easy for McGuinty to step down mid term with the minority situation he's in now. Without the shelter of a majority government it would be difficult to hold a leadership convention and transition to a new leader without the opposition forcing another election while they're disorganized.

Back