News   Apr 18, 2024
 695     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Ontario Cannabis Store (OCS)

I wouldn't have an issue lowering the drinking age to 18 in Ontario, especially with students generally going to university younger (now that there's no Grade 13). Being able to purchase alcohol from someone trained in Smart Serve is generally safer than binge drinking back at the frat house or some other unsupervised private space.
It was 18 when I was 18 (I just dated myself). We survived.

Even though QC is more against legal weed than ON, they sure seem to be liberalizing its sales.

In what way? QC has setup their operation similar to ON. The SAQ will open a subsidiary by the name of Societe Quebecoise du Cannabis. They will be the sole authorized retailer. Also, the SQC has signed agreements with 6 big suppliers. Whereas OCS is opening it to any and all suppliers. Much better arrangement in ON then QC.

In what way? QC has setup their operation similar to ON. The SAQ will open a subsidiary by the name of Societe Quebecoise du Cannabis. They will be the sole authorized retailer. Also, the SQC has signed agreements with 6 big suppliers. Whereas OCS is opening it to any and all suppliers. Much better arrangement in ON then QC.
I must not have been following what's going on in QC. Last I heard they were looking to follow the BC model of legalizing and regulating dispensaries. If this has changed, I wasn't aware.

Too bad, the BC model is by far the most libertarian.

Why couldn't they just sell it in LCBO locations (including licensees)? The government want to be a drugs dealer, do it properly and be accessible.

They'll sell you an acutely toxic drug (alcohol) but get all weird about selling one with a much higher safety profile. Same old war on drugs logic.

It's been a serious cock-up so far, this whole legalisation thing. Hopefully they do better with psilocybin which is undoubtedly next.
I say this because:
Health Canada is cooperating with the US FDA on phase 3 trials of psilocybin and MDMA with a view to having them be legal for medical use by 2021 if they are shown to be of medical value (which they already have been shown to be, pretty well, get the formality done).

Anyway, psilocybin best be available either network-wide in all LCBO shops or in private shops, unhindered, because the hypocrisy and irrationality of drugs laws continues with the ease of access of ethanol compared to that of legal marijuana.

It will take time, but eventually this will get figured out.

Saw a story recently about some irresponsibly packaged gummies (branded to look similar to Sour Patch Kids). A kid got into his parent or uncles stash and ate a pack. Was brought to the hospital unresponsive, though he recovered. Long term effects of massive doses on kids are not well enough studied.

So, I agree with some of the government nanny-state attitude. The packaging should be unappealing to children and hard to open.

Have you heard that either Washington or Oregon decriminalize psilocybin?

Yup, among a host of other jurisdictions in the US as well as along with a whole host of other plant-based psychotropics.

Look at that, the boorish Yanks ahead of us on drugs policy in this sense! Never thought I'd see this.

Long term effects of massive doses on kids are not well enough studied.

Long term effects of acute doses on kids aren't studied but long term effects of chronic doses are well studied and the results are probably worse than could be found with an acute high dose event.

All psychotropics are dangerous for kids because of brain development being incomplete. This is mostly becaue of the lack of completion of neural networks which shouldn't be affected by a single dose, no matter how large.

There aren't any physiological long term effects otherwise.

Chronic ganja use amongst youth is a much worse problem than accidental dosing of younger children.

Back